Author Topic: 2011 AGM in Estes Park Colorado  (Read 42339 times)

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
Re: 2011 AGM in Estes Park Colorado
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »
Well, it was a great second day of the Long's Peak Highland Festival. We got the clan tent all set up and ready to go:

Lots of people were in and out of the tent all day, so we didn't really get a chance to take a photo of the Thompsons at the tent. Hopefully tomorrow. Since Friday is the first day, it doesn't get as much traffic as other days, but we still had a fair amount of visitors and talked to them about Clan Thompson. Had several sign up for the mailing list.

Since Ern Thompson had challenged me to single malt scotch at ten paces, I took him over to the Campbell tent. They gave us some nice Laphroig and we regaled them with stories and songs.

Lots of music at this festival, and we watched some of the bands. Ern liked Brother. He was wandering through the festival and heard a rock band playing digeridoo, so he watched them for a while. Harold liked Seamus Kennedy from Belfast, who plays guitar and sings. Tom and Mary got sidetracked with a realtor and missed the jousting, so Mary was upset and wants to watch that tomorrow.

Fred and Babs Cash and Cathie MacTavish hung out with us in the clan tent quite a bit and came to the tattoo in the evening. Parker and Jeanette had a family gathering, so they didn't go to the tattoo.

Everyone seems to be having a good time, and we are meeting lots of people. Looking forward to an even better time tomorrow, marching in the parade through downtown Estes Park.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »
Day three was even better than those that went before. The weather was absolutely outstanding. Blue Colorado skies and sunshine, it was just gorgeous. We gathered in the morning for the parade through downtown Estes Park. As an honored clan, we were near the front of the parade, which was quite refreshing as usually we're down at the end of the alphabet with the Stewarts and the Wallaces. They're nice folks and we missed them, but it was nice to have a fresh audience during the parade, and no horses in front of us. Here are some of the Thompsons assembling at the start of the parade:

The parade did seem to take an eternity, but our piper was equal to the task, and piped us nearly all the way. I counted twenty-six marching with us, but there may have been more added after I counted. It was the best turnout we've had.

After the parade, we went back out to the fairgrounds and got the clan tent running again. Tom and Mary got to sit on the stage for the midday ceremonies and be honored guests. I know they're humble and not accustomed to the spotlight, but they held up our heritage well.

Lots and lots of people came by the tent and spoke with us, many of them Thompsons, but also other clans and even people who didn't know their heritage. We had a wonderful time talking to them. Our piper (Sean) and his brother (Joshua) on drums began playing some tunes and attracted quite a crowd. A couple of other drummers came by saying they had been asked not to play so loudly in the Campbell tent because the other clans were complaining. Our tent is farther away from the other clans, so we didn't have that problem. We soon invited them to play along and had an even bigger crowd. The people really liked it.

Later, Sean competed in the Kitchen Piping contest and again took second place. The winner was young and cute and gave the judge a hug. After that we all repaired to my brother's house, where his wife had laid out a wonderful feast. It was a great time of fellowship and laughter.

Some went to the Ceili, which is part concert and part Celtic dance. Others took off, looking forward to tomorrow.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2011, 08:10:03 PM »
Best weekend you could imagine! We had such an outstanding time at the 2011 Long's Peak Scottish-Irish Highland Festival in Estes Park Colorado. It was all about the people. Thompsons and non-Thompsons from all over the world stopped by to see us and chat about their families or their heritage or so much more. I spoke with a Thomsen from Norway this morning, Scottish Thomsons, Irish Thompsons, even English Thompsons. Some knew something about their family history, others did not and we filled them in on the general history of the Lowland clans. Tom was a fount of information as always and held them enraptured with stories and history beyond their wildest dreams. Ern Thompson from Australia kept us all entertained and happy, Harold Thompson told us stories, Cathy MacTavish brought a breadth of history that was just amazing, Tom and Barbara Thompson brought a passel of kids and plenty of enthusiasm with them, Fred and Babs Cash could not have been more friendly and helpful. And of course, I brought some of my own crew, Sean Thompson, our bagpiper, Joshua Thompson, who drummed with him, Krystal Thompson who took first place in two different Irish dance competitions, and of course, Timothy Thompson, who always serves faithfully in the tent and beyond. Parker, Jeanette, Jenna and Cody, MacRae, Cody and Schuyler couldn't be with us today, but they had kept us all entertained Saturday, and of course Scott and Karen Thompson who had opened their house to us Saturday evening for a wonderul gathering. Mary Thompson told us that Thompsons always seem ready to eat, and we proved it that evening. There were many good times around the clan tent:

Sunday morning dawned bright and blue and plenty of kids stopped by the tent to have their Clan Passports stamped. Tom and Mary were honored dignitaries on the stage during the Kirkin' of the Tartan and Clan Thompson stood at the front as one of the honored clans. The afternoon wound down with shopping and music and festivities and all kinds of good times. The people who stopped by the tent were amazing and friendly, and the great folks from the other clans were more welcoming than we could have imagined.

The Colorado contingent was so honored and pleased to have been able to host the 2011 Annual General Meeting and gathering of Clan Thompson. We look forward to so many more years of fellowship ahead. Ya shoulda been there!
The Reivers Ride Again!

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
DENY US NOT

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 08:54:26 AM »
After the official meeting was adjourned, and amidst lots of camaraderie, Dan "Booner" Thompson of Colorado was then installed as the newest Grand Poobah. He must wear his official hat at all clan functions and return the mandatory salute from any members he meets. I did not get a photo of Booner in his regalia, so perhaps Mary or somebody can fill in the details.

We had a GREAT time in Estes Park............now, I want to LIVE there! :)  Michael, Parker, Booner and their friends/families did a superb job. Their enthusiasm about the clan was evident in all they do and they simply couldn't do enough to make our visit to Colorado a trip of a lifetime. I didn't get to spend a lot of time at the tent - it seemed that I was out getting food/drinks or getting lost, or trying to get to the jousting (did finally make it on Sunday for about 20 minutes!). The setting is spectacular, the organizers couldn't have been more helpful, the weather was PERFECT...........quintessentially a fine Scottish/Irish gathering. I also found the Welsh tent (uhhhh......isn't that also a Gaelic nation but it's never included in events.....????) and had a nice chat with them about my mother's line.

Michael, Parker, Booner, Friends/Family.....thank you for a great AGM location, a wonderful week in your mountains, and a chance to meet all of you and get to know you better. We WILL do this games again!  

I'll put up some more pics ASAP.

For those of you who didn't get to go - you missed a big one. Start stuffing into your money sock for the next time we get to do it again!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 11:52:08 AM by Mary »

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 10:03:20 PM »
Hey everyone!  Clan Thom(p)son was on Channel 9 News- Denver!!!! Saw a friend of mine at a party tonight and he said he saw me and the rest of the clan ibn the parade of tartans on Saturday!  It was a couple seconds or so, but the Clan Thom(p)son came through the screen and that caught his attention, then he saw me and the others lower our tartan flags.... Cool!   ;D
DENY US NOT

Mary

• Administrator
AGM dinner pics1
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2011, 09:00:07 AM »

Parker and Scott

Fred, Lyndell and Tom's head :D

Josh and Sean

Mary

• Administrator
AGM dinner pics 2
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2011, 09:01:39 AM »

Michael and Ern

Group shot

Group shot

Mary

• Administrator
AGM dinner pics 3
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2011, 09:05:45 AM »

Scott (our host), Fred and Tom

Patsy, Harold and Ern

Tom, Harold, Karen (our hostess), Babs, Patsy and Cheryl

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2011, 09:11:09 AM »

What the parade looked like from our vantage point!

Ready to go!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2011, 09:12:25 AM »

Barbara

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2011, 08:00:55 PM »
Wonderful photos and write-ups about the Estes Park Games and AGM meeting!  You all just had too much fun without us!  We missed everyone but we were with you in spirit.  The Rocky Mountains are a beautiful setting for the Scottish Highland Games.  We lived in the San Juan Mountains for 10 yrs.  Miss the beauty, flora and fauna but not the waist deep snow!    ;D

Barbara and John
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2011, 06:15:50 AM »
Great pictures Mary! Everybody looks like they had a good time. Wish I coulda been there! How exciting to be the Honored Clan and to be on TV. Clan Thompson is making way and soon we"ll be recognised, I just know it!

The Rievers will ride again!

yer coz,
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2011, 06:18:44 AM »
Uh...That would be Reivers....................Dang spell check.......it wanted rivers.....mutter, mutter, mutter
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2011, 06:19:29 AM »
AND we will be riding!