Author Topic: Maple Leaf Tartan declared the official symbol of Canada  (Read 9441 times)

John ThomsonHollingsworth

Maple Leaf Tartan declared the official symbol of Canada
« on: March 17, 2011, 07:29:44 AM »
The Canadian government has pre-empted a Liberal senator's crusade to have Maple Leaf Tartan declared the country's official Scottish cloth, announcing Wednesday that the distinctive green-and-red pattern — inspired by the shifting hues of autumn leaves — has not only been made the national tartan but also an "official symbol" of the nation itself.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Maple+Leaf+Tartan+made+official+symbol+Canada/4411460/story.html

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Maple Leaf Tartan declared the official symbol of Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 06:19:35 PM »
I knew they had used the tartan for years ---- I thought it was ALREADY their official tartan!  DUH  There is also an 'overshot' pattern that I have in my weaving books that goes back to the early 20th century that is also a Maple Leaf --- it's all red on a white/off-white background and was popular as a tablecloth or bedspread design. As far as I know, it was never commercially produced but looked like a maple leaf!  :) :)

Thanks for the update and article, John.

Wish some other members would start contributing to the forum --- it's awfully hard for a handful of us to keep it going.  You surely do your part and we appreciate it!