Author Topic: Rhode Island Highland Games  (Read 8799 times)

Stirling Thompson

Rhode Island Highland Games
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:35:05 AM »
Clan Thom(p)son was represented again this year at the RI Highland Games held June 11 at the Washington County Fairgrounds in Richmond, RI. The weather was cool and damp all day but the drenching rain didn't start until after the closing ceremony.

We arrived Friday afternoon to set everything up and spent the night in my brother's newly acquired Mini-Wini RV. We popped up the tent early Saturday morning and set up the display quickly. We had a cannon demonstration at 9AM and they even let me fire the cannon!

This year we had 51 clans and societies in attendance with Clan Gordon being the Honored Clan. Opening ceremonies took place at noon with massed bands and the parade of tartans.

Entertainment this year included Albannach, Runa and Charlie Zahm on the main stage and Jenna Greene, the Dram Boys and Jerry and Nancy Bell on the small stage.

In addition to the United Train of Artillery cannon demonstration there were demonstrations for Scottish country dancing, sheepherding and the Celtic Harp. Competitions included Highland dance, solo piper, snare drum, drum major and pipe band as well as the heavy athletics.

Also on hand were the Historic Highlanders and the Society of Creative Anachronisms. And on the lighter side there was the Bonnie Knees contest, the Haggis Hurl, Rolling Pin toss and Wellington Boot toss and Lassie and Laddie games for the wee bairns.

Turnout was light due to the threatening weather but a wonderful time was had by all in attendance. I met some Thompsons from Essex, England on holiday from across the pond and lots of other nice folks as well.

Since I don't know how to make pictures appear within my post, here is a link to the album on my facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1928482184876.105390.1626855926&l=8cd3be640a
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Stirling Thompson

Re: Rhode Island Highland Games
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 12:57:44 PM »
Testing embedding images.

Friday afternoon setup.

Ready to go!

They let me fire the cannon!

The burgonet and broadsword are new.

The Thompsons from Essex, England.

Massed bands at the opening ceremony.
Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:30:29 AM »
Just can't get big pictures from facebook since they went to the new format so I guess you'll have to follow the original link to the album. Don't know if anyone liked these or not since no one commented. Oh well, next games for me is Glasgow Lands on July 16th in Florence, MA at Look Park.
Stu

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 08:05:32 PM »
Looks good Stu! Great to see you keeping up the family name. And I agree about the new Facebook photo interface, it's very annoying and inconvenient compared to the old one.
The Reivers Ride Again!