Author Topic: Quechee Highland Festival  (Read 10452 times)

Stirling Thompson

Quechee Highland Festival
« on: September 04, 2011, 03:35:23 PM »
Sorry its taken over a week to get this report in but its been a little crazy around here with the aftermath of the hurricane. We were fine but my daughter was without power most of the week and her and the kids stayed with us while her husband stayed home an kept an eye on things. My brother lost power too and he had all the pics from the games. Anyway... due to health issues (cataract surgery on the right eye) I had to skip the Maine Games this year so I got in contact with the nice folks at Quechee Highland Festival and went there instead.

I went up in my brother Ray's camper and Dottie and Peggy followed in her car just to be safe as it was the first long trip with the camper. We arrived safely Friday afternoon and parked the camper in a back corner after setting up the tent. There was a little pot luck under the big tent that evening and we got a chance to do some socializing with some of the organizers and other clans. We finished setting up on Saturday morning and were ready for business by the time folks started piling in.

The Quechee Highland Festival was held on the polo grounds in Quechee, VT on Saturday August 27, 2011. It is a small festival drawing around 30 clans and featuring entertainment, pipe band competitions, dancing and athletic events. We were a little concerned with hurricane Irene headed straight for us so we were happy when they moved the closing up to 3:30 pm so those of us traveling south could get home safely. The day was beautiful with bright sun all day so it got hot under the tent. Considering the threat of the hurricane they had a really good turnout and we were busy in the tent most of the day. One of these days maybe I'll get to actually see some of the events if I can manage to away from tent more than half an hour, not that I'm complaining because I really enjoy chatting with the folks that stop by to check us out. Speaking of which... Tom and Mary... Gail Kilgore from Clan Munro says to say hello!

Pictures from the games are on my facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?id=1626855926&pid=2114777

Next up will be the Scotland, CT games in October!
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Quechee Highland Festival
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 06:46:21 AM »
Hey Stu!

SORRY!!!  Somehow, I missed this writeup on the Quechee games. Some of our friends from other clans go there and really love those games. The closest we've gotten is the Maine games a number of years ago. It was nice, but where the clan tents set up you couldn't see a darn thing! Tom's brother lives in Maine, so we got to do two things at the same time.

I think I got really behind the power curve on reading/answering posts with the trip to Estes, then our camping trip with friends in Western Tennessee, then the flooded downstairs, 2 days no water, 7 days no hot water, 5 days of industrial blowers/dehumidifiers (now THAT'S a treat!  :(, moving all the furniture and stuff, going through to see what all was ruined, all the carpets yanked out.................we've been busy! Still waiting for insurance determination so we can start to put things back together. At least I finally got my laundry hooked back up - we were about out of clean clothes!

So, in the midst of our mess lately, I haven't been online as much as normal and I missed the write up. You are soooooo good about doing these games - we do appreciate it and I don't want you to doubt that for a moment! And you always take such good pictures!