Author Topic: Auld Lang Syne  (Read 9411 times)

Mary

• Administrator
Auld Lang Syne
« on: December 30, 2011, 08:29:12 PM »
(Thanks, Barbara!)

WHY we do what we do on New Years (Hogmanay).

Traditions are funny, aren't they? We all have our quirky family traditions, and then we have those wider traditions ... like kissing at midnight on New Year's Eve.

Apparently this tradition is one we can thank the Scots for making popular, and it's all tied up with Hogmanay.

Back in 1824, a chap by the name of John MacTaggart, reckoned that the word Hogmanay was actually a corruption of "hug-me-now."

That works for me!

Another theory is that it comes from the Gaelic "oge maidne" (new morning) ... Hmmm , yes, well, I suppose that makes sense, too. But I prefer "hug me now," don't you?

Read more about how the Scots celebrate New Year's Eve (and why) here.

Another popular tradition we've appropriated from the Scots is Auld Lang Syne. No New Year's Eve party would be complete without a drunken rendition of the classic song, accompanied by a cosy cuddle as everyone links arms (or puts arms around waists, depending on the nature of the guests) and sways (or surges in a circle, once again, depending on the nature of the beast). But this isn't the authentic way the song is sung ...

"The Hogmanay custom of singing "Auld Lang Syne" has become common in many countries. "Auld Lang Syne" is a traditional poem reinterpreted by Robert Burns, which was later set to music. It is now common for this to be sung in a circle of linked arms that are crossed over one another as the clock strikes midnight for New Year's Day, although it is only intended that participants link arms at the beginning of the final verse, coordinating with the lines of the song which contain the lyrics to do so. Typically it is only in Scotland this practice is carried out correctly." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogmanay

The song title translates as "old long since," which means "long long ago," "days gone by" or "old times," so we sing "for the sake of old times."

And if you usually just hum along after the first verse, this year you can astound your friends with all the words!

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and old lang syne?

CHORUS:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

And surely you’ll buy your pint cup!
and surely I’ll buy mine!
And we'll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

We two have run about the slopes,
and picked the daisies fine;
But we’ve wandered many a weary foot,
since auld lang syne.

CHORUS

We two have paddled in the stream,
from morning sun till dine;
But seas between us broad have roared
since auld lang syne.

CHORUS

[This is where you link hands and finish the song ...]

And there’s a hand my trusty friend!
And give us a hand o’ thine!
And we’ll take a right good-will draught,
for auld lang syne.

Ernest Thompson

• Core
Re: Auld Lang Syne
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 11:54:07 PM »
I do believe the man who put Robbie Burns oems to music was a gentleman by the name of George Thomson.
HAPPY HOGMANY EVERYONE
Ern & Cheryl

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 06:57:05 AM »
Happy Hogmanay this year and many years to come!
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »
Great post Mary. We usually sing Auld Lang Syne at the close of our Robert Burns supper as well. I see you used the English translation. The Scots dialect of Burns' original can be confusing to Americans. Even the English are often befuddled by their northern neighbors.
The Reivers Ride Again!