Author Topic: A Thompson wall has been hit!  (Read 8338 times)

Wthompson

A Thompson wall has been hit!
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:15:22 AM »
Starting at the brick wall...His name is William J. Thompson born in Virginia around 1809-1811. He moved to Tennessee (around the McMinn co. area) where he had a child in 1837 named Margaret, another in 1839 named William Alexander Calhoun Thompson, another in 1840-42 named Charles J. Thompson and then something happened to his wife (probably died) and he remarried Margaret Holmes in Oct 1840 in McMinn Co. She was born around 1821.  They then had Rachel in 1846. By 1850 they were living in Massac co, Illinois where Francis Marion Thompson was born. In 1856 and 58 they were living in Missouri because they had 2 girls, Permelia O and Martha M. By 1860 they were living in Carrol co, Arkansas but moved back to MO by at least 1862 because they had one more girl M.E. (that's all I know). In 1870 they were in Dent co, MO (with the exception of Wm. J.-he was not on the census, but his wife was not listed as being a widow-by 1880 she was).

I come from William Alexander Calhoun (W.A.C. from here on out), he was my gg grandfather, he eventually settled down in Howell, co Sisson township, where his homestead is still settled by Thompson's today..

A few facts about Wm. J. He was listed as a Baptist clergy on the 1860 census, a farmer all other times-I assume he was always both...His son Francis Marion also became a preacher, and ended up drowning later in his life while crossing a river.

I have lots of info with the exception of who (or if) the girls married, and Charles J. is shady as well. I believe he entered the Civil war, as there was a Charles J. who entered in Missouri around the same time that W.A.C. entered. However, Charles J. got in trouble for disobeying orders and striking a superior officer, and so he was sentenced to 3 months in jail-Alton Military prison in Illinois. I did find a Charles J. living in Illinois during the 1870 census married to an Ann (or Anna), but it's pure speculation that he is my Charles. He did survive the prison, as I did not find his name on the list of soldiers who died. 

William J. is my brick wall. Does anybody know of him? Also, I would love to find out who his first wife was.

I have so much more to type, but then this would be a book not a post.

Any help is appreciated.

William

Mary

• Administrator
Re: A Thompson wall has been hit!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 08:06:16 AM »
Hi William and welcome to the forum!

I've checked on all the sites I have access to and found a lot of your queries posted.....but nothing else.

Hopefully, one of our members or readers will recognize your family and be able to help.

Anyway - you have your search posted in another place and that can't hurt  :)

William J. Thompson

• Just call me Bill
    • Mr Thompson's Ties & Squares
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:01:12 PM »
I got quite a start when I read that first sentence!  ;D  No connection to my branch, unfortunately, as far as I can determine...so I'm afraid I'm no help there. (My brick wall is John Thompson in Tazewell, Va ~1830.)

Welcome to the family!
--Bill

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 05:10:38 AM »
Welcome William! I sympathize with you. I hit my wall around 1800 with David Thompson in Bristol, Maine. Why is it I can trace female lines back to the dark ages and can't get the male lines back to the American Revolution. It is truly frustrating!
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 07:09:21 AM »
I sympathize as well, even if I can't help you any. My brick wall is Henry Thompson, b. ca 1684, living in New Jersey in 1710. He's very likely our first Thompson in America, but so far, no word on where he came from or when.
The Reivers Ride Again!