Author Topic: Rhode Island Games  (Read 9003 times)

Stirling Thompson

Rhode Island Games
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:45:02 AM »
The Rhode Island Highland Festival is this Saturday, June 9, 2012, at the Washington County Fairgrounds in Richmond, RI. My brother Ray and I will be there manning the clan tent so please anyone in the area stop in and say hello. I'll post a report and pictures as soon as I can but that probably won't be until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest since Ray and I are trying to finish the gazebo (see my facebook page) in time for my grandson's graduation party before he ships out to the Navy.
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Barbara

Re: Rhode Island Games
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 02:45:46 PM »
Looking forward to hearing about the Rhode Island Highland Festival Stu.   :D

Barb
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »
This year's RI Festival had a great turnout with 47 clans and societies represented! We arrived about 7:00 AM and set up under overcast skies and we had a few sprinkles in the morning but then the sun came out and overall it was a beautiful day for the festival. We were set up between the Clans Sutherland and Innes and reacquainted ourselves with old friends the MacQuarries and Fergusons. Clan Cameron was the Honored Clan of the Festival this year. As the day progressed we met lots of Thoms and I gave out a ton of cards and directed folks to our website. Of course I couldn't stop bragging about our new arms and crest and that was a big hit with the crowd as was my new Border Reiver display. We had nine pipe bands this year so the sound of the pipes was non-stop all around us and the was athletic and dance competitions as well. Albanach was main musical attraction and old friend Charlie Zahm was there to perform the national anthem for the opening ceremonies. Enough chatter here's the pics!
The Clan Tent
We met lots of Thoms
Ray
The Clan Display
The Reiver Display
A Reiving Scott
A young Reiver in training
A wee Reiver
Another wee Reiver
Our side of the field
The other side of the field
Our neighbors the Sutherlands
Massed bands at the opening
Band competition begins
More band competition
and more...
and more...
and more...
an Irish pipe band
the last band
Drum Majors
The world's oldest Buchanan
Bands massing for the closing
Closing ceremonies

OK that's all for the 2012 Rhode Island Highland Festival. Next up will Glasgow Lands next month in North Hampton, MA.
Stu

Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Forum_mgr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 09:56:47 AM »
(Yes, I'm still here!)

Stirling, your pictures make me want to go to RI next year and the Border Reiver display is perfect for our history.

Well done!

F.M.

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 04:24:36 PM »
Great job Stu

You put a lot of work into the tent.  I have to compliment you an the inclusion of the Border Reiver display.
I think it is a great idea. I don't know how many times I had to explain what a Border Reiver was to the tent visitors. Obviously I lacked your creativity.
Today we are hard at work trying to develop your display into our tent setup.
Thanks again
Tom