Author Topic: Scottish-ISLAM tartan registered.....now THAT's different!  (Read 9192 times)

Mary

• Administrator
Scottish-ISLAM tartan registered.....now THAT's different!
« on: June 29, 2012, 07:08:42 AM »

Tartan Details - Scottish Islamic
The information held within The Scottish Register of Tartans for the "Scottish Islamic" tartan is shown below.

Reference:    10644
Designer:    DC Dalgliesh Ltd
Tartan date:    27/06/2011
Registration date:    29 June 2012
Category:    Corporate

Restrictions:    Yes.
The Scottish Islamic Tartan is woven by DC Dalgliesh Ltd.

Registration notes:    The Scottish Islamic Tartan weaves together the different strands of Scottish and Muslim heritage creating a fabric for the future. Scottish academic Dr Azeem Ibrahim, developed this concept after consulting leading Islamic scholars around the world - Shaikh Humza Yousaf, Imam Zaid Shakir and Dr Umar Abd-Allah. In Scotland, he sought advice from Shaikh Amer Jamil, Scotland's leading Islamic scholar. The theological explanation of the design is as follows: blue represents the Scottish Flag; green represents the colour of Islam; five white lines running through the pattern represent the five pillars of Islam; six gold lines represent the six articles of faith; the black square represents the Holy Kabah.

William J. Thompson

• Just call me Bill
    • Mr Thompson's Ties & Squares
Re: Scottish-ISLAM tartan registered.....now THAT's different!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »
Well.....that's interesting. I thought Islam was a religion. There aren't Scottish-Presbyterian or Scottish-Catholic or Scottish-Anglican tartans. Scots is Scots, and faith is faith.

o_O

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Scottish-ISLAM tartan registered.....now THAT's different!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 11:20:39 AM »
Well, you pay the fee and design the tartan - there is no requirement to be Scottish - you are filing the tartan design, I guess. There are Indian, Irish, Welsh and Pakistani tartans too and I haven't seen anything related to those designs that indicate the 'owner' is a Scot.

It just struck me as odd on this one - like you say, Islam is a form of government and religion and I'm not sure how it fit into the 'owner' category.