Author Topic: Greetings from sunny California!  (Read 13065 times)

Juliet Bravo

Greetings from sunny California!
« on: July 10, 2012, 10:08:51 PM »
Hello!

I came across this Thompson forum and am interested in finding out more about my Thompson roots and meeting other Thompsons on the same quest. My name is Jean-Marie Bonnar, but my maiden name is Thompson. I'm from a family of seven, with three brothers and one sister. Growing up an Air Force brat my family lived in many places, but we all now live in California.

My father is John Robert Thompson, Sr., born in Arkansas. Married Carole Jean Hertsch of New York.
His ancestors:
Henry Owen Thompson born Russelville, Arkansas 1913-1964, died Tulare County, California married Ora Alcidine Kimbrell 1909-2010 born Arkansas, died Tulare County, California
John Wade Thompson born Arkansas 1884-1957 married Ella Hollabaugh (Griffin) 1881-1958 born Arkansas
Charles Sullivan Thompson born Tennessee (died Arkansas)1858-1919 married Eliza Ann English 1861-1935 born Tenneesse, died Texas
Lewis B. Thompson born circa 1812 Virginia or SC, married Emoline (Emiline) Calger born 1830 Virginia

Not sure where our Thompsons first originated, but my father's Y-DNA at 23andMe is designated as R1b1b2a1a2f* (L-21+). I also recognize some persons posting here from GEDMatch and 23andMe.

Kind Regards,

Jean-Marie
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:17:40 PM by Juliet Bravo »

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Greetings from sunny California!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 06:43:54 PM »
Hi Jean-Marie -

Sorry, no connections from our line. We're Ireland-PA-IN Thompsons.

Good luck -- I'm sure if anyone recognizes your line, you'll hear from them!

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 02:24:04 PM »
Welcome Jean-Marie,
Just now making my way into VA with my search. So far no match with your fam other than your father's name John Robert, which is my brother's. Keep looking though you never know what will turn up!
Welcome to the fray!
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

William J. Thompson

• Just call me Bill
    • Mr Thompson's Ties & Squares
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 01:42:37 PM »
No matches my way, either. All my line is in Tazewell, Virginia; and there aren't any Lewises in my mix.

Booner

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 10:23:55 PM »
Jean-Marie,

Sorry, nothing in your line looks like it lines up with mine, but your very welcomed here.

Booner

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 05:45:38 AM »
Greetings Jean-Marie! Sorry to say no match with me either all of my line is in New England but please stick around and have some fun here in the funhouse!
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:30:12 PM »
Hi Jean-Marie

Just a thought.
 Why not have a Family Tree Thompson project (37 or more DNA) test made from one of your brothers?
It may result in a link-up with another Thompson.
Tom

Juliet Bravo

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 11:27:25 PM »
I think that's a great idea, Thomas. My father is still living, as well as my three brothers, so I may ask my father, unless you think there is an advantage to having one of my brothers test instead?

Also, at the risk of confusing anyone with some of the complexities of my ancestry, I'd like to share some of my paternal family tree branches, which includes a lot more Thompsons than those I've already mentioned. Are any of these ancestors also common to any other Thompson forum members here?

First of all, here is my dad's ancestry.com family tree so far:
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/19226783/family?cfpid=1357698578

Additionally, other Thompson families I am related to by blood or marriage are on the following related public family trees my cousin Kathy Gregory maintains on ancestry.com (I am related to Kathy a few different ways, including through the Kimbrell, Cotton, Moore, and Thompson lines.)

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/17320700/family?cfpid=493782782
Note: For reference, Samuel Bird Cotton and Arminta Moore are my 3rd Great-Grandparents from my father's maternal side (my father's mother name was Ora Alcidine Kimbrell, who was married to Henry Owens Thompson. She was a cousin to both Nettie J. Kimbrell and Arthur Lay on this tree).
I am also related to FRANCES JANE THOMPSON Birth 1786 in Wilkes or Robeson Co., NC; Death abt 1830 in Wayne Co., TN, - among other relatives, we share a common set of many times great-grandparents (Zachariah Moorman & Mary E Candler). Frances' particular Thompson line goes back to WILLIAM THOMPSON Birth 1570 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland; Death 20 Feb 1630 in Scotland.

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/17320700/family?cfpid=573630750
Note: It is interesting that Elias Harris Kimbrell and his son William Franklin Kimbrell on this tree both married THOMPSON women: Eli married Malinda Thompson, and William married Nancy Elizabeth Thompson, dau. of Tidings Thompson.  Not yet known who parents are for Malinda, and speculation is that Malinda and Tidings Thompson were siblings, or at least first cousins.  Elias Harris Kimbrell was also brother to my 2nd Great-Grandfather Newton Andrew Kimbrell (sometimes seen as Andrew Newton Kimbrell). Newton Andrew Kimbrell was grandfather to my grandmother Ora Alcidine Kimbrell, who of course also married a THOMPSON (Henry Owens Thompson!).

As you might guess, I've not yet fully discovered all the ways these Thompson families are related to each other and the the rest of my ancestors on these trees! I think that your suggestion, Thomas, might shed more light on this, and help me link up with another Thompson! So thank you for your great idea! Please let me know if any of these ancestors are familiar to any other Thompson forum members here. :-)

Jean-Marie

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 12:12:03 PM »
Hi Jean Marie
  A DNA test on your father would be fine. The Y-DNA is transmitted with few mutations so any male member of the family would be true Representative of the family as a whole.
In my case my sister and I shared the cost for my DNA (67) markers test from Family Tree.
We have a few members who have actual matches - so there is hope.
suggest you review the Genealogy topic on this forum.
Tom