Author Topic: 2012 Longs Peak Highland Festival  (Read 13458 times)

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
2012 Longs Peak Highland Festival
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »
Hope everyone can join us in Estes Park for a great time and some great games. This is the biggest games and festival in our part of the country and going on 36 years now I think. It's where I first discovered the re-invigorated Clan Thompson four years ago when I went to march with the Campbells and they told me Thom(p)sons now have our own clan.

Some of you will remember the wonderful times we had last year hosting the AGM. We're an honored clan again this year, with one of the big tents out front, next to the Campbells, so our two clans don't bother the others so much with our noise music and laughter.

I've heard that Tom, Mary and Booner will be there at least, and we're looking forward to meeting a lot of other Thoms as well. Hope you can make it.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Ernest Thompson

• Core
Re: 2012 Longs Peak Highland Festival
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 04:56:18 PM »
I'm sore y'all will have a great time this year I'm only sorry we can't be there to share in the fun.
Last year was absolutely fabulous and the hospitality shown us by the Coloradans was second to none
we have experienced any where else in the world. Special thanks to the Thompsons of Estes.
Ride again Reivers

Your Aussie Cousins

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 11:10:16 PM »
Aye, Lad! Miss my Brotha' from down Unda'!
DENY US NOT

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:13:56 PM »
 Same story with me, the Campbells told me about the Thom(p)son resurrection.  I went to the tent and met you and Tom and Booner. I've been excited AND proud ever since. See you tomorrow, Michael!   ;D
DENY US NOT

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 08:09:59 AM »
I'm sore y'all will have a great time this year I'm only sorry we can't be there to share in the fun.
Last year was absolutely fabulous and the hospitality shown us by the Coloradans was second to none
we have experienced any where else in the world. Special thanks to the Thompsons of Estes.
Ride again Reivers

Your Aussie Cousins

Good to hear from ya Ern! We did have a great time; Tom and Mary were there with new banners and maps and such for the booth and they both did yeoman's work chatting with interested Thompsons. Maggie Jones, our new clan genealogist, was a hit with many people and really helped out at the tent. Of course our reigning "Grand Poobah" was there (yes you, Booner) in full force, and there were heaps of Thomsons from Fraser/Winter Park Colorado with Parker and Jeanette and all their lot. Even little Tigon (not sure about the spelling) marched in the parade with us through downtown Estes Park. I brought along a few of our Thompsons from the Denver area, and I'm sure I've forgotten some. It was a great time.

I'm still looking forward to a rematch on that single malt at twenty paces Ern. All the best.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:50:56 PM by Michael Thompson »
The Reivers Ride Again!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 04:05:02 PM »
Well, in all honesty, I had put up a lovely review of the games and our trip through Wyoming and South Dakota as we wound our way home via the northern route.......and that night all hell broke loose with GoDaddy, the forum crashed and I was up until after 2:00 AM the next morning on the phone (my dime) with GoDaddy trying to figure out what they did! Up the next morning and on the phone with another guy from there for 2 hours (my dime) and now we had a forum, but it was the 2010 forum! And we still have a secondary forum site that I never put up! That afternoon, I called again and got another guy (my dime) who told me basically that they had wasted enough time on "my" problem and that they weren't trained to fix the kind of problems "I" had. I HAD???  It was THEIR crash that gave us the problem!  So, after that smashing support, I went to the Simple Machines Forum group and posted a step-by-step of all the things that GoDaddy had done (and claimed to have done) to see what help I might get there since the forum IS an SMF forum. After about 2 hours on there, one of their techs posted and said she could help me but had to have our login so she could access the databases for the forum. So.........hmmm. I checked out her credentials and changed our password and gave her a new set. I kept our telephone ID secret so if anything went wrong with her, I could call in to GoDaddy and have the passwords reset. She went in and had it to where it is now in about 30 minutes. I changed the passwords back and .........we lost all the posts from the 21st and 22nd.....including Stirling's great pictures of his new marching banner setup and the links to videos of the Tattoo I had posted and a few other pics of mine. Will try to get them up in the next few days again...

So......I don't have the energy to redo all the story. Suffice it to say we had a wonderful time with all the CO Thompsons.  Maggie Jones (new genealogist) had a continuing table of interested people (thank you!) and we were all busy talking to people who stopped for information. We talked about what personas we should be doing...and really, we should be portraying Border Reivers (in how we dress) rather than wearing out kilts. It would take some research and lots of us have our kilts for formal events, but that maybe we should play up the Border Reiver angle to further differentiate us from "other highland" clans.

What do you think?

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 06:55:15 PM »
OK - I found some of the videos/pics I thought I'd lost! You can pick the first video and see all these online, but the individual pictures are larger here.......your choice! At least, it gives you an idea of what a beautiful place it is......

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/librarymary/Estes%20Park%20Scottish%20Irish%20Games%202012/?action=view&current=003_zpsc4af4738.mp4  Keep watching - we come after Clan Campbell (they were an honored clan also)

Some videos from the Tattoo ---  http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/librarymary/Estes%20Park%20Scottish%20Irish%20Games%202012/?action=view&current=016_zps93a97c89.mp4 and http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h354/librarymary/Estes%20Park%20Scottish%20Irish%20Games%202012/?action=view&current=Scottish massed bands Estes Park 2012_zps77639048.mp4

Parade through town
Start opening ceremonies
More opening ceremonies
Maggie, new Genealogist, heading back to the tent from shopping
Crowd growing on Friday
Clan tents
More clan tents

Sorry about the pics - I wasn't getting around all that well and spent most of my time in the tent, so short of pictures! Better next time!

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »
I  also found another one we had taken at the end of the parade through downtown Estes Park. I think Tom and Mary were parked in a lot just before that, so they disappeared before we got to take the photo.

The Reivers Ride Again!

Barbara

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 11:15:44 PM »
Thanks for all the photos!  That's the only way I get to see my cousin Booner any more.   :(  Your all braw looking Scotsmen and Scotswomen.   :D

Barb
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain