Author Topic: Edgewater Colorado Celtic Festival  (Read 9733 times)

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
Edgewater Colorado Celtic Festival
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:34:46 AM »

Clan Thompson Colorado had a great time once again at this small festival in the Denver area. They don't have games, just music and food and such, and they've added clans the past couple of years. I think they said there were twelve clans this year, and we were very well received among them. And yes Mary, we kept the tent neat and tidy.  ;D

There was a (short) parade through the park where the festival is held, and on Saturday evening of this two-day festival, they had a "Calling of the Clans" around a bonfire. Tom Davidson of Clan Davidson was the convener and he started off with a bit of a speech about his clan and then throwing a torch into the firepit to start the bonfire. We each added our flame to the growing conflagration with some challenge from our clan. Of course, Thompsons spoke glowingly of our Reiver heritage and advised everyone to keep their cattle and women locked up.

Afterward, they held a friendship circle. A quaich (look that one up) was passed around and each member spoke of something to be thankful for or something positive about our experiences here. It was very moving. Led by an Irishman of Clan Cian interestingly enough. It was his quaich.

Our band, Mulligan Stew, performed on Saturday, and as always, there was singing and music in the tents. A very pleasant festival and we look forward to doing it again next year.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
Re: Edgewater Colorado Celtic Festival
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 09:53:47 AM »
Wish I could have been there. May next year.  Thanks for the update, Michael- you rock.
DENY US NOT

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:09:21 AM »
Sounds like you all had a great time! I love the Calling of the Clans when they do it with the torches - so many have now gone to just carrying a lance or something and sticking it in a rack! And in the daytime! Nothing at all like a calling at night where the clans bring their torches and build the bonfire!   

I know you and yours did us proud once again. One of these days, I want to hear Mulligan Stew play!

Working on some plans for tshirts and, now that I'm home, hope to get some additional clan items on the website soon!

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »
......advised everyone to keep their cattle and women locked up.......

And rightly so.

Thanks for representing Clan Thompson at the Festival.................one day we'll visit there!
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.