Author Topic: Maryville TN. & the Smoky Mtn Higland Games  (Read 12550 times)

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
Maryville TN. & the Smoky Mtn Higland Games
« on: June 17, 2013, 11:12:05 AM »
It was a dark and stormy .....wait.....dark and steamy..... no.....dark and stormy and steamy afternoon. And the Thompsons were there!
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
Re: Maryville TN. & the Smoky Mtn Higland Games
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »
The clouds were dark and the rain came down. Didn't matter though we were already rather wet from the humidity. And who thought up this? Haggis and Chips! Mmmmmm ;)
Many versions of how to wear the kilt, traditional and...................not so much.
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:26:26 AM »
The crowd braved the weather, athletes waited their turn, the pipers piped and the sun came out briefly. Mary was ever lovely in her Clan Thompson T-Shirt. Tom as well wore the red T and chatted with all that passed by. And the littlest drummer was ...well....tired.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 11:32:29 AM »
Some were wet and some were not. Others tried the helmet and sword, while a fair damsel stood speechless. Then the pipers piped us down the muddy road home.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 11:34:04 AM »
Took me all day Sunday to dry out.

Ernestt481

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 05:49:22 PM »
Great shots Sis. Thanks keep up the good work.
Ern

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 09:05:20 PM »
It only took you one day to dry out!!!????  Was that including watching your car (and our truck) take turns sliding down the pavement at the rental? We had rented a house outside of Maryville and the drive was so steep, that we could only drive part way (the paved part) and then had to walk the last 200 yards or so nearly vertical (I swear!) to the house. BUT.......the rain washed some of the gravel down onto the paved portion, and when you parked on the steep paved area ON the gravel, the vehicle started sliding down the hill. Thank goodness there were so many large rocks around that we could jam under the tires! It was so funny.....I asked Sherry if she was scared when her car started sliding and she said "No, I was thinking about how I was going to explain this to Robert..."  Luckily, no need!

Here are a couple more pics - I didn't take many......

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 08:18:06 PM »
As if the games aren't event filled enough!!  Glad you guys made it ok. Wow!!  :)
The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 10:44:04 AM »
OY! I forgot about the car sliding down the drive! THAT was thrilling, indeed. In fact if I recall later that evening as the rain came pouring down I sat bolt upright in bed thinking,
"Was that gravel I heard crunching beneath tires?!"   :o    Then flopped back down snoring. :D

Needless to say Tom, ever the tease, said, "I walked down the drive with the wee doggies this morning.....yer car seems to be missing."
 ;)
Heart stopping moment.

Then I punched him in the arm saying, "STOP TEASING!" and walked down to see............... ???

Good clean fun. ::)