Author Topic: Join us for the Longs Peak Scottish-Irish Highland Festival in Estes Park  (Read 12247 times)

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
Thompsons will be out in force once again in Estes Park Colorado this fall. We have made many friends among the clans and organizers and have become one of the best known and loved clans at this, the biggest Scottish festival and games in the Rocky Mountain region. In 2012, we were once again named as an Honored Clan at this festival:

We always have fun marching in the parade, greeting visitors and sharing a tune and a dram with the neighboring clans. And Estes Park is very reminiscent of the highlands of Scotland, especially when there's a dusting of snow on the ground (not too often in September, but it does happen.)

http://scotfest.com/
The Reivers Ride Again!

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
Re: Join us for the Longs Peak Scottish-Irish Highland Festival in Estes Park
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:26:36 AM »
Michael

I think this is great post!

I don't think you are really expecting snow --Are you?
Looking forward to pictures. Maggie Jones says she plans to be there for our members who have hit their 'Brick Wall'.
Tom

Lowell Thompson

• art-handlers.com
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 05:31:27 PM »
I'll be competing on Sunday all day in the Mens 190 and under class defending my title. Hope to see you there!!!
THROW HARD!!!

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 07:18:03 PM »
Go Lowell!! Sure wish Paul & I could be there to cheer you on. Hopefully one day we can get out there :)
Good Luck!
The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »
Clan Thompson activities in Colorado got their start at the Longs Peak Scottish-Irish Highland Festival in Estes Park, and it has been one of our best venues ever since. We participate in a number of festivals and games in Colorado, but this one is the biggest. We met plenty of old and new friends and cousins and had a great time in this setting, which is so reminiscent of the highlands of Scotland. (No snow this year though.) BTW, I have posted lots of photos on Facebook if anybody cares to take a look.

One of the highlights of this festival is the parade through downtown Estes Park. People line the streets eight and ten deep to watch the clans and bands pass by. We had been saying for years that Thompson is a riding clan, and therefore we should ride horses in the parade. We finally managed this year, and led off our contingent with a Percheron mare named Satin, who helped carry our banner proudly. She was the hit of the crowd.

We were honored to have so many Thom(p)sons marching with us in the parade, including Satin, the wonder horse.

We've also been very gratified with the response to a poster explaining about Reiver families, made by Mary Thompson. Many people stop by and are entranced to see their family name among the riding clans. It's a great conversation starter, and helped us cement relations with many of the other Reiver clans.

Visitors to the clan tent were fascinated by the poster describing Reiver families.

It's always good to renew acquaintances at these games, and this one was no exception. Byron Thompson stopped by the tent some years ago and has been a member ever since. He works in the Tartan Information tent, and took some literature to add to their files about the history of Thompson and our tartans.

Byron Thompson and his family stopped by to chat at the clan tent, as they have done many times in the past.

One of the highlights of the Estes Park festival is their focus on dogs. There are events where dogs herd sheep and perform complicated tasks. There are booths where different breeds are highlighted. And there are even some rescue dogs available for adoption. Parker and Jeanette Thomson couldn't resist the charms of one particular Irish Terrier, and so Dougal Thomson became the newest member of the clan. I thought he was going to spell it Dugald, in honor of a former chief of a clan we know. He said it was a fitting name for a dog.

Dougal Thomson was adopted into the clan by Parker and his family

With the Colorado Thom(p)sons, there's always music, and this year was no exception. We had some informal sessions at the tent, including one where Sean Thompson, our official bagpiper, began to play. Then Parker Thomson began to dance, and we even recruited a drummer from a clan down the row to join us. Always a good time to be had, and we hope we advanced the cause of Clan Thompson at this year's games.

Parker Thomson does the sword dance, accompanied by Sean Thompson on the pipes and a member of a nearby clan on bodhrán.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:47:39 PM by Michael Thompson »
The Reivers Ride Again!

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »
Never do a sword dance with a heavy sporran!  :P
DENY US NOT

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 09:49:41 PM »
Wow! How fun! It looks like you guys had a great time!  :)  And a horse? I would've loved to have seen that!! Great idea!!  :)
You sure did represent Clan Thompson......perfectly!!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:52:02 PM by cheryllwith2ls »
The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

Barbara

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 10:26:52 AM »
What fun! Wish John and I could go to one of your Games in Colorado.  :D

Barb
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain