Author Topic: Misc. Ramblings  (Read 9634 times)

Booner

Misc. Ramblings
« on: April 05, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »
Two things i'd like to tell you about.

1. This past Wed I travelled to Washington D.C. to attend the funeral of Major Perry Jefferson.  Mjr. Jefferson was a member of the Colorado National Guard, the first Nat. Guard Unit to be sent to Viet Nam. Just two days before he and his unit were to return to the states, he was lost. Last Nov. his remains were identified and he was buried 39 years to the day of his last flight.  He was the last Mia to be identified as a member of the Colorado National Guard.

About 100 of us were invited to the funeral services by the Colorado Naional Guard.  We were either members of his unit, or Vets witha Viet Nam connection.  We flew out of Denver on a C130 (Military cargo plane) to Andrews airforce base outside of Washington. Later Wed. eve we visited the "Wall," the Viet NAm Memorial where we met his family and had a small ceremony in front of the panel which bears his name. On Thuresday, his service was held at the Fort Meade Chappel and a horse-drawn caisson to his remains to his grave where he was buried with full military honors, which included a missing-man fly-by by members of his unit.  We then flew back to Denver later that afternoon, again on a C 130.

After thinking about this trip now for a couple of days, Iv'e discovered that, while we were invited to honor Maj. Jefferson, we in turn we also honored just as much, and it's a trip I'll never forget.

if you'd like to read about mjr. Jefferson & see a news clip of us leaving Denver,  click on--> 
http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_8789175

2. Estes Park Highland games
It is the 1st weekend after labor day, and we will have a Thomson tent there,  which means I will have to buy a kilt.  I realize Colorado is a "fer piece" for most of you to come to a game, But it would grat If some other clansmen would be there with me. But my son said he would help me, and I'm hoping some other show up, but if i have to do it myself, so be it. I thought about the biggest obstical I had in my decision to host a tent was in the parade of clans.  I don't want to to be the only one in the parade, so if none of you can attend, this is what's going to happen; I'm going to ask my friend's in the Patriot Guard to be honorary Thomson's for the day & march with me, they in their leather, me in the kilt.  I gurantee no other clan will give us any trouble.  I've mentioned my idea to some of my biker friends and they loved the idea.

So between now and September I need to Study up on all the histories that have effected our family name, and the DHA, because that other "group" will be having their AGM at the Estes Park games.  I want to be sure that anyone who visits out tent will get the true history of our Thomson forefathers. 

I'm looking forward to this.  On many different levels.

Booner   

Cathy McTavish

• Core
Re: Misc. Ramblings
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 06:17:43 AM »
I am deeply moved Booner.................................

Barbara

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 02:36:01 PM »
I am deeply moved too Booner, sitting here with tears running, and I'll tell you again, I'm so proud of you.

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 05:54:43 PM »
I also went and reviewed the site......being ex-military myself,a Vietnam-era veteran and married to a retired Vietnam vet /AF pilot, the efforts made by you and your group mean more than you could possibly know. We still remember airports and "home-comings" that were nothing like what (we are extremely happy to say) our Gulf War and Iraq/Afghanistan era military people receive. Bless you all and I'm sure Major Jefferson's family's pain is lessened by having had you there.

I think having your buddies at the games in their leather is a GREAT idea! What a show! It's a shame you can't do it on bikes!  :o

Booner, remember to contact me when you are ready to kilt shop! We can get you the best deal around! Maybe you can do some membership recruiting before the games so you'll have members with you and Collin too!

Mary

Scotsmor

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 10:32:52 PM »
Booner,
It must be a miracle for Major Perry's family to have him home finally. His family must have gone to hell and back wondering and worrying about him through the years. Just knowing where he will be "resting" will give his folks some peace of mind. I won't use that "new Age" crap phrase “now they have closure”. I don’t know what idiot (Scots would say “ijet”) came up with that non- sequitur. Probably some shrink   because “it feels good”. There is NO SUCH THING as closure. There is acceptance of” what is” as time goes on. Ask Vietnam Vets if they feel “closure”. The difference today from the Vietnam era Vet and the present day Vet is that Liberals don’t spit on them and call them “baby killers”. They just “pity” them.  Ok I am off my soap box.
What an honor Booner for you to be included in the retinue of Veterans to accompany Major Perry to his final resting place in Arlington. You must be “big” in your organization in Colorado. Well you are Big Thompson. I suggest you take the moniker Thompson Mor. As MacT will tell you that mor can mean big, large, or Great! I have lifted an idea from Cat the Mac’s  site where she asks “Tell us about yourself”. I would appreciate if you would give a wee biography.
Rob

Barbara

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »
Mary and Tom, if I haven't said thank you before for your military service during Viet Nam I'm sorry, thank you.  I want to say THANK YOU to all the Vets out there.  You all have my undying appreciation and gratitude.   

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain