Author Topic: Smoky Mountains Highland Games  (Read 13565 times)

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
Smoky Mountains Highland Games
« on: May 24, 2014, 07:57:31 AM »
Greetings All!

The Smoky Mountain Highland Games, where all the men wear kilts and I am simply delighted by that!

First  I want to take a quick nip back to the Loch Norman Games and unveil the first wearing of the kilt (his own kilt that is) by my most accommodating, tall and handsome husband.

Behold the Swedish, German, all around Nordic guy, Roberto. ;D
By the way he had all the right answers to the age old question, "What do you have on under that kilt?"

Bless him. ;)

The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
Re: Smoky Mountains Highland Games
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 08:05:07 AM »
But wait there's one more!

Well there are many more but I think 3 is enough eh?

The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 08:46:01 AM »
OK now the Smoky Mountain Games.

I drove to Maryville in the morning, got there around 10:30am and no rain. Lots of clouds and windy but no rain............yet.

Tom and Mary had the tent set up and were doing what they do best, spreading the word about Clan Thompson. We had a visit from Merida and her Da. And a great many more.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 08:55:09 AM »
The heavy athletics were in full swing. Here's just one of the many.
 He did get the bag over the top.

There were lots of Clans but you just can't miss the McClouds (McLeods?). Their plaid stands out.

A young Thompson and her friend stopped by. She purchased a t-shirt and then she and her friend joined us for the Parade of Tartans. They were excited when Tom handed them flags.

There was a couple there with excellent Civil war costumes, not sure how that fit in but they were welcome nevertheless.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 09:03:54 AM »
There were pipers piping at various tents along the walkway. Did I say I love the sound of bagpipes ..........? In fact there were several groups of pipers making the rounds. Lovely sound.

I'm going to upload the relay race and the mass bands videos  to Facebook  nip over there to see them.

All in all it was a good day to be Scottish. Next year you'll have to come and see for your self!

Yours aye,
Sherry

Donna

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 01:55:38 AM »
Great write up, Sis Thompson, and thanks for the photos ! ;D
Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 03:16:26 PM »
Yes, great write up Sherry and I so want to meet you one of these days!  Thanks for posting all the photos!  Don't ya just love men in Kilts!  I love walking behind a braw man in a kilt and watching how it swings......ooooh my!   ;)

Glad you had a good Games and fellowship with kin and friends.

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 10:17:38 AM »
Thanks Sherry --- I knew you were out taking lots of pics, so I wasn't worried about getting some myself. We had SUCH a good time at the games with you, Tom and Barbara (Indiana), and the quick visit with Paula and Michelle. At least this year OUR tent stayed pretty dry, although the 4 next to us blew down in a storm on Friday night - we didn't have any loss or damage. It was really cloudy and cool on Saturday, but we kept things hopping at the tent and that kept us warm. And this year, we remembered to bring a dolly to help get stuff from the car to/from the tent - man, did THAT make life easier!  ;D

The opening ceremonies had some really large bands - unfortunately, I only got video of two of them. I know, but I seemed to always be doing something when 'the perfect Kodak moment' would pop up and I'd miss it. Thank God Sherry was there to get them!

For those of you who were within driving distance of the games and opted out - you missed another really great games. The grounds at Maryville College are perfect for the athletics, clans, vendors and even the parking was pretty handy. The games people went out of their way to be helpful, even placing little wagons down by the clan area so those who needed something to haul their tent stuff could use them if needed. Lots of great vendors, some wonderful barbecue and I sneaked in half of a funnel cake with powdered sugar and cinnamon. Heaven  ;) Don't turn it down again next year. The clans are right along the edges of the field with a wide lane and then the vendors, so there are 3 sides with clan tents ....wide lane....vendors and then at one end are the bleachers and the athletics. The working dogs performed numerous times during the day and the sheep grazed contentedly through much of the afternoon with the dogs just keeping them away from the athletes until their part of the field was needed. No, there was no problem with sheep 'pellets' - they aren't cows!  ;)

I think the crowd was down a bit this year, but the weathermen kept threatening bad weather and I think they discouraged some who would have come if the forecast had been bright and sunny. Sunday WAS bright and sunny and everyone we saw was having a wonderful time. The athletics and the relay (!) were fun and frustrating (for the contestants) as always. It's so nice to have the tent around the field where you can watch instead of being isolated in another area.

Anyway - you should'a been there!!

Barbara

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 12:05:47 AM »
Wish we could have been there.  Love your tattoo Barbara!  :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 09:27:19 PM »
Wanted to let you know that Barbara and I really enjoyed our visit to the Smokey Mountain Highland Games. I was good to meet Sherry. Hope to see her again. We had been on a short vacation that week. Stopped at Tom and Marys' on the way to Gatlinburg and Cherokee, N.C and caught the games on the way back.
Hope to see a lot of folks at the games in Columbus, IN in Sept.
I think everyone on Barbara's side are thinking about joining us there depending on their schedules. They all have kept their t-shirts from a couple of years ago. Imagine that :)

Tom & Barbara

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 02:11:08 PM »
Sounds like a winner..........tell them to bring them and join us in Virginia too!

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 04:41:51 PM »
We were planning on going to the Huntsville AL games this summer. However; Friday we woke up to a new problem.
The heat from the dishwasher caused the kitchen counter top to buckle. We are now searching for replacement counter tops.
Whee, never knew they were so expensive, and then they brought up the installation costs.
     If all goes well; sometime in July they will drop by and make a detailed measurement. Then we get to decide what material and the color.
Then after an unspecified time they will cut out the stove and sink holes.
Then we wait for their scheduled installation.
  All the Huntsville games Directors were very understanding and we promise to have Clan Thompson at their 2015 games.
Tom