General Category > NEW MEMBERS! Introduce yourselves here!

New Member from South Louisiana

(1/3) > >>

Thom:
Hello to my fellow Clan members.  I am a new member from south Louisiana in the heart of Acadiana.  Looking forward to learning of my Thompson ancestry.  Thomas B. Thompson (Thom). 

cheryllwith2ls:
Welcome Tom! I guess I'm going to have to start calling all you Toms by Tom 1, Tom 2, Tom 3...and so on.  :) Lots of Tom Thompson's. (that's my Dad's name too! )
Anyway, welcome to your extended family. We look forward to learning more about you and helping you in any way we can!

-Cheryll

Don't forget to check out our Facebook page too, if you're so inclined.  It's under Clan Thompson Society 

Donna:
Welcome Thom,
Please don't be shy  ::)  Tell us all about yourself and your Thompson folks!
Some day, I hope to find a new member who is actually connected to my
Thompson family from Ontario Canada...
Donna

Thom:
Good morning, Cheryll and Donna!  Thanks so much for the fine reception extended to this new member of the Clan Thompson.  Because of the number of Thomas Thompsons, I decided to go by Thom instead of Tom.

I noticed that Cheryll had posted photos of Scotland on the Clan Facebook.  Those pictures brought back memories of our trip to Scotland in 2012.  From Glasgow, where we enjoyed the national piping festival and whisky tasting, to the land of Robert Burns, to the Highlands and Hebrides, Lock Ness and the Great Canal, to Stirling and Culloden and then St. Andrews and Edinburgh, each step along the way was exciting.  I discovered while visiting a military museum at Stirling Castle that the original makeup of the 98th Argyllshire Highlanders, formed in 1794 and later renumbered as the 91st Highlanders in 1798, included nine Thompsons from the area.  Alexander and John Thompson served as corporals and James, John, John, Joseph, Robert, Peter and Thomas Thompson enlisted as private soldiers.

Now a little about myself.  I am a former Marine and combat veteran of the Vietnam War and a retired Assistant U. S. Attorney.  Since my retirement I have become active in a number of community and veterans organizations.  I have also become somewhat of a novice genealogist working on our family histories.

With some certitude, I can trace my Thompson lineage back to Virginia.  From Virginia, the family appears to have moved into North Carolina, then onto the Mississippi Territory with a short stay in Georgia.  Finally, my great grandfather found his way into Louisiana.  Here goes:

Arlin Thompson, 1921-1997 (father)(born and died in Louisiana)
John Henry Thompson, 1897-1956 (grandfather)(born and died in Louisiana)
Linus Johnson Thompson, 1866-1958 (great grandfather)(born in Mississippi and died in Louisiana)
Hugh B. Thompson, 1844-after 1877 (2nd great grandfather)(born and died in Mississippi)
William Thompson, 1800-after 1870 (3rd great grandfather)(born in Georgia and died in Mississippi)
Parish Thompson, 1764-1850 (born in Virginia and died in Mississippi)
John Thompson, Jr., ?-after 1777
John Thomson, ? - after 1738 (died in Craven County, North Carolina)
John Thomson, III (believed to have been born in Surrey County, Virginia)

The line becomes blurred after Parish.  His father was John Thompson who is listed in the will of John Thomson who died sometime around 1738 in Craven County, North Carolina.  John Thomson, sometimes spelled with a "p" and sometimes without, listed his brothers William and Alexander in his will.  William Bond was a witness to the instrument and signed as a witness to other instruments involving John and his brother William.  The presence of William Bond is important because of the relationships of both families.

The Bond family dates back to 1695 in Beaufort County, North Carolina.  As the Thompsons moved westward after the War of Independence so did the Bonds.  Members of both families served with Nixon's Regiment of Mississippi Militia during the War of 1812 and through the years there were marriages between members of both families.  My great grandmother was a Bond as was my father's mother.

At least that's the way I see it at this time.  As more information is discovered, my conclusions as to the identities of my ancestors after Parish Thompson may be subject to revision.  And, probably will.

I know this is more info than you bargained for with but I appreciate the inquiries.  Have a great day.

Stirling Thompson:
Semper Fi brother and welcome home from a fellow Marine and Nam Vet.
Also welcome to the extended family of the Clan Thompson. Good luck with your genealogy search I know it goes along quickly until you smash into that brick wall that always seems to be there. Hopefully, you'll smash through that wall and find what you're looking for.
Stu

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version