Author Topic: 27th Annual Highland Festival, Scotland CT  (Read 8753 times)

Stirling Thompson

27th Annual Highland Festival, Scotland CT
« on: September 25, 2014, 11:55:36 AM »
Well, I was really late in getting the registration out but they have cashed the check so I'm going to assume it's a go.

The 27th Annual Highland Festival will take place on Sunday, October 12, 2014 at the Waldo Homestead in Scotland, CT.

Clan Thom(p)son will have a tent and I've already heard from Chap Thomson so he and Chris should be there as well. Anyone in the neighborhood is more than welcome to stop by and say hello. A report and pics will follow a day or so after the games.
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

MICHAEL the Canadian

Re: 27th Annual Highland Festival, Scotland CT
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 12:01:24 PM »
Thank you do us proud, I am sure you will!!

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 12:41:21 PM »
Well, I'm really getting old.... I forgot my camera. Luckily, my nephew John came with me and took a bunch with his smart phone and posted them on facebook so I was able to upload them to my Photobucket account. Anyway...

The day started off cold and foggy. We left home a little after 6:00 am and made the hour plus trip to Scotland through dense fog most of the way and when we got there it was all 35 degrees. In spite of the chilly start we got set up in no time and were ready when the first visitors arrived. This was my nephew's first time at the games and he had a great time and took lots of pictures.

Chap and Chris Thomson and family got in around 9:00 am. I met lots of folks including a Thompson couple from jolly old England and some vacationing Scots. Christine Thompkins joined us for the opening parade ceremonies. Christine is a member of the troupe demonstrating Scottish country dancing at this years games.

It warmed up nicely as the day progressed getting up to the low 60's and the beautiful fall day led to a steady stream of visitors through the Clan Village area. There were over thirty clans and associations and five pipe bands in attendance. The Scottish band The Tannahill Weavers were the headline attraction and perennial favorite Charlie Zahm were on hand to provide entertainment along with the dancers, athletics, sheepdog demos, highland cattle and lots of vendors.

All in all I'd say everyone had a great day! Here are some of the photos John took...

Charlie Zahm on stage in the entertainment tent.

The Historic Highlanders.

The sheepdog demonstration.

Athletic competition.

The Redcoats were there as well.

Our little corner of the Clan Village (we're off to the left just out of sight).

More pics are on Photobucket here...
http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/StuT/library/Scotland%20CT%202014?sort=2&page=1
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

MICHAEL the Canadian

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 07:42:07 AM »
Great pictures Stu and A big thank you to your Nephew!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donna

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 03:07:51 AM »
Nice write up Stu. Please thank John for the great photos!

Donna
CA
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !