Author Topic: Central VA Celtic Festival and Highland Games  (Read 9306 times)

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
Central VA Celtic Festival and Highland Games
« on: November 10, 2014, 07:16:59 PM »
Four days off in a row! :o

Yep, that’s how I started my weekend of the Central VA Celtic and Highland Games. Robert’s Prince Charlie Vest completed? Check. Costume for myself secured? Check. Car packed? Check.

Off we go.

We left only 30 minutes after my wildly inaccurate  ;) estimated time of departure of 12:00pm.  At 12:45pm we were settling in for a six hour drive to Chester VA. A beautiful day for a drive.

4 and a half hours later… are we there yet?  ???  Late lunch/Early supper just outside of Durham, NC and we are back on the road. Finally arrive at the hotel around 7:30pm, dump off the luggage and have a wee nip of single malt then we’re off to Mary and Tom’s daughter’s house for my ensemble. Mary dressed me in period clothing and I must say it was awesome! It fit like a glove and if I do say so I looked pretty darn good.  ;D  (Later......I don't know how women back then wore the boned bodice all day long, though my posture was most excellent both days!) We chatted for a few with Tom, Mary and Tracy (another daughter), I got the dogs wound up  ::), had some honey bourbon (an acquired taste) and back to the hotel.

At the games by 10:00am the next day and what a crowd! I heard there were over 50 Clans  :o  attending, I didn’t count them. There were plenty of vendors and food wagons. The weather was sunny and cool with high 60s low 70s. Light breeze the first day and a stiff breeze the next. It was hard to keep everything upright.

Allan and Heidi had the tent looking great. Heidi had painted a Reiver body with a place to stick your head for pictures, including the helmet. Kids loved it and quite a few adults joined in the fun.  We had a double tent and it was full most of the time with Visitors and Clansmen/women who traveled to attend.

The athletic field was right in front of all the Clan tents and we had front row seats for the bag toss, caber toss and stone toss. This was the first time I’d seen heavy athletics for the women. Those ladies were good!  ;D The crowd cheered one and all of the competitors on at the top of their collective voices.

The Parade of Clans was great and I caught it on video. Go to the Clan Facebook Page to view, bring some popcorn, it's eight minutes long!  :o We had a good turnout for the parade and had perhaps 15 or more walking with the Clan! The high point was when they announced that WE WON BEST CLAN TENT from more than 50 clans! They said the vote by the committee was unanimous – we were the friendliest, had information on our areas of Scotland (not just info on our clan), had things for children to do, and were the “most humorous”........!
We do have a good time when we get together ;)

Next year – Estes Park, CO.....mark your calendar!

See you there!
Yours aye,
Sherry   ;)

The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
Re: Central VA Celtic Festival and Highland Games
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 07:54:17 PM »
Well after fiddling around for an hour the photos are coming tomorrow. After I resize those buggers to extra small.
Mutter, mutter, mutter... >:(
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Barbara

Re: Central VA Celtic Festival and Highland Games
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 07:40:55 PM »
Thanks Sherry for your humorous update on the Games in VA.  We wish we could have been there, I know how much fun it is when everyone is together.  :D

Barb
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain