Author Topic: Is anyone out there?  (Read 22352 times)

Stirling Thompson

Is anyone out there?
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:33:03 AM »
Well it has now been eight days since the last post on the forum so I'm beginning to wonder if everyone is OK out there. We're surviving up here in New England with over seven feet of snow so far in some places with more on the way this week. There have been about seventy (70) roof cave in incidents due to the weight of the snow in the past week. Is everyone else OK?
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
Re: Is anyone out there?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:43:05 AM »
Hi Stu! Well, I'm here....but I live in sunny California right now so I'm doing ok. I know Mary is covered in a thick sheet of ICE. I've been working a lot so I haven't had a chance to get on here much. I'll be working on the Bell's Manuscript to see what Thompsons were listed on it. It will take some corresponding back & forth initially so I'll update everyone here on the progression of things.
Take care! Stay warm & safe -
Cheryll
The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

Ernestt481

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 05:30:59 PM »
Hi Stu et al,
We're fine down here just waiting for a tropical cyclone to hit.
Ern & Cheryl

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 09:33:16 AM »
Ern, glad to hear you're all OK Down Under! We're waiting for more snow and/or freezing rain coming this weekend.
Stu
Stu

MICHAEL the Canadian

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 01:18:13 PM »
hello STIR up here in Canada we are just waiting for the cold cold cold winter to move on.

CheryLL must be nice in the sunny California?

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 02:07:08 PM »
Hi Stu,
  I've been sitting out the winter weather recovering from a total knee replacement which is going well.
Hope you thaw out soon.

Tom and Barbara   ( Indiana )

Donna

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 08:12:05 PM »
Hey Stu,
"Lazy" is my excuse   :-X

Donna
In sunny California
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 06:36:15 AM »
Tom i hope you mend well and quickly. Donna sometimes we all get a little lazy just don't let it last too long. Michael the Canadian, its all your fault! Your cold and snow just keeps on coming south and there seems to be no end to it. At this rate the snow won't be completely gone until July. Enough already! I surrender! UNCLE!
Stu
Stu

Donna

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 11:07:40 AM »
Please send some of that snow to California...
I think we're already into Summer out here!

Donna :D
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 07:06:44 AM »
Donna, actually, there was a piece on the news here a few days ago about a guy that was doing just that. It started as a joke but he has set up a website and will ship snow from his backyard to anywhere. You can buy it by the bottle or the box. The bottle was around $10 and box was around $80. Of course there is no guarantee it won't melt before it gets to you.
Stu
Stu

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 07:38:28 PM »
Stu,
  Thanks for the well wishes on the knee. Everything seems to be doing all right.
Having a little trouble going up and down steps ( still hurts somewhat ) but with some more time, it will be okay.
  I have a job interview in Cincinnati, Ohio which is about 72 miles from me and I am spending time reviewing my building code books.
With better weather coming in the rest of the week what is left of the snow should be gone.
Hopefully it will be the LAST snow.

Donna,
  Send some of your early summer to Indiana. Just recently we woke up to a -24 degree morning.

Best Wishes to all,

Tom & Barbara

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 04:28:31 PM »
And we're FREE!  After the first bout of ice, we were stranded up here for 12 days. We finally took picks and shovels and chopped a 2 track lane for Tom to get down to the main road so he could get to a doctor's appointment. About 5 days later, we had ANOTHER ice storm and were in for 3 more days!
I don't mind snow, but this ice has been so devastating to the region and we had people without power for 10 days and longer .....and temps were well below zero and only in the low teens in the daytime. Luckily, people who had power managed to get their generators to churches and town halls so there was enough energy to run personal medical equipment, lights, heat and microwaves for hot food. Quite a time. We were lucky that we didn't lose power because we don't have a generator and no one could have gotten to us.

Anxious now for spring - by the way, our first daffodils are blooming!

Glad to know you all are well.

Also, wondering if it's time to just lock this forum and give up trying to get people to post......? We have a Facebook page - maybe we should put our efforts into it? It seems more in line with the 'young and hip' among us...............

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 06:54:40 PM »
Mary, happy to hear you're all OK. I've always said I'd rather have a foot of snow than a quarter inch of ice. Luckily we don't get the ice storms too often, we had one a couple years ago that was really devastating to parts of New England.

As for shutting down the forum I'm personally opposed to that idea. Facebook and/or Twitter are fine for some things but I don't believe they can handle prolonged serious discussions or topics such as we have at times here on the forum. Or maybe I'm just old and tech resistant. I check the forum at least daily, facebook maybe a few times a week but hardly ever beyond my own homepage.
Stu

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 10:00:44 PM »
C'mon Daffodils! Mary, you and Tom need a generator! Seems like that would be a must living out there. I'm glad everyone seems to be thawing out.

I am TOTALLY with Stu. We need this forum! I too check it daily and read things you guys have posted, all the time! Heck, I even check it twice daily if truth be known.
Facebook is great but it could never take the place of all the information on here! I think people are on here reading to learn about the Thompsons and the Reivers and Scotland and run out of time to post! :)
ORRR.... maybe they don't feel comfortable or knowledgeable enough to say anything.

Hey, that just gave me an idea......Why don't we have like a "game" on here...? Some sort of interactive game of trivia or something. Find the members that are actively on here and say.... weekly... we have 3 people that are called out to answer 1 question each for the week. That way we could all participate and you wouldn't have the same people answering all the time. Maybe we could email them their question or something. Does that sound stupid?? LOL :)  I don't know....... it might be fun!

Oh and thanks for putting our games on here!
Cheryll

The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 12:19:04 PM »
I'm in agreement with Stu and Cheryll.
I also look at the forum often and appreciate the things posted.
I've posted or replied more this year then I have in the past, but I'm a slow poke.

Perhaps when new members sign up, they could post a little about their Scottish heritage
and how they were drawn to the clan and how they might like to see the clan to develop in the future.

Anyways, for those who post more often than I do---THANK YOU for you posts.
As for the rest of the members---- at least say hi----we are family and families do keep in
touch.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the games I can attend.

Best Wishes,

Tom and Barbara