Author Topic: REMEMBRANCE  (Read 41530 times)

MACTAVISH

REMEMBRANCE
« on: September 08, 2008, 10:00:45 AM »
WELL CHAPS; ITS THAT TIME OF THE YEAR AGAIN.BRITISH REMEMBRANCE DAY IS 8 WEEKS AWAY. I SHALL- AS USUAL- BE AT THE CENOTAPH IN LONDON REPRESENTING MY COMRADES, YARDS FROM THE QUEEN. LAST YEAR I LAID A CROSS/WREATH FOR OUR JOINT NAMES. THIS YEAR IM GOING TO LAY 2...A CLAN THOMPSON ONE AND MY OWN. I THINK IT FITTING; THE SCOTS MEMORIALS ARE FULL OF YOUR NAMESAKES.
IN THE LAST 2 YEARS THE WRITTEN WORDS HAVE BEEN READ BY PRINCES ANDREW AND WILLIAM.  THIS YEAR I WANT TO INCORPERATE THE PAST/PRESENT/FUTURE AND EXPRESS THAT THE WORDS ARE HEARTFELT FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD.   SUBMISSIONS PLEASE, WE MAY BE ABLE TO FIT IT ALL TOGETHER(BUT REMEMBER I ONLY HAVE A A CARD 6''X 4''- DONT WANT TO OUTDO THE QUEEN!)

Stirling Thompson

Re: REMEMBRANCE
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 10:42:26 AM »
For us Yanks, Remembrance Day is functionally equivalent to Memorial Day but on a calendar basis it is Veterans Day (formerly Armistice Day commemorating the end of WWI). It is a time to honor the lives and sacrifices of those men and women who gave their all for God and country and to remember that without their sacrifices we would not enjoy the liberty, rights, priviliges and freedom that we have today. Two minutes of silent, prayerful thanks doesn't seem like too much to ask on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month to show our fallen heroes and the rest of the world that We Remember Still!
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 06:26:37 AM »
This has been around for a while now but if you've never seen it it's worth checking out and if you have it's worth checking it out again.

http://www.terry-kelly.com/pittance/pittance_en.htm#

Click on VIDEO or LYRICS (Audio version).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 06:32:35 AM by Stirling Thompson »
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 09:08:54 PM »
WELL CHAPS; ITS THAT TIME OF THE YEAR AGAIN.BRITISH REMEMBRANCE DAY IS 8 WEEKS AWAY. I SHALL- AS USUAL- BE AT THE CENOTAPH IN LONDON REPRESENTING MY COMRADES, YARDS FROM THE QUEEN. LAST YEAR I LAID A CROSS/WREATH FOR OUR JOINT NAMES. THIS YEAR IM GOING TO LAY 2...A CLAN THOMPSON ONE AND MY OWN. I THINK IT FITTING; THE SCOTS MEMORIALS ARE FULL OF YOUR NAMESAKES.
IN THE LAST 2 YEARS THE WRITTEN WORDS HAVE BEEN READ BY PRINCES ANDREW AND WILLIAM.  THIS YEAR I WANT TO INCORPERATE THE PAST/PRESENT/FUTURE AND EXPRESS THAT THE WORDS ARE HEARTFELT FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD.   SUBMISSIONS PLEASE, WE MAY BE ABLE TO FIT IT ALL TOGETHER(BUT REMEMBER I ONLY HAVE A A CARD 6''X 4''- DONT WANT TO OUTDO THE QUEEN!)

MACTAVISH ---- Unfortunately, I'm good at research and government-speak..........NOT good at this sort of thing at all!  Didn't Ern come up with something last year??? Maybe he could do it again! We certainly don't want to miss out on having a memorial for our names - I'll be this will be a first!

Come on people - think of what can go on the card and be read by the princes!!!

Mary

Barbara

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 05:38:03 PM »
"Honesty is the Best Policy" has to be in there somewhere.

Ern, what was it you came up with last year?

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 09:35:23 PM »
Our man in Scotland
   You have tasked us with a heavy burden.  WE will put our collectlve heads together and come up with s few words. Now it is only fitting that we contribute for the cost of a wreath - so put on your thinking caps and pull out your wallets.
Tom

MACTAVISH

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 03:59:40 AM »
the wreath is bought and needs only input of words..............however; should anyone be curious re the gathering next summer- i drink single malt!

MACTAVISH

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 09:55:14 AM »
BY SAYING ITS ALREADY BOUGHT; I MEAN THAT ITS BEING 'ORGANIZED'.THE ONLY PROBLEM THAT IM HAVING TO OVERCOME IS THE TARTAN......THE SHAPE IS A CIRCLE OF LIFE CELTIC CROSS 14''X8''(NOT ALLOWED ANYTHING LARGER)THE BACK OF THE CIRCLE NEEDS TO BE THOMPSON BLUE,..........IVE AQUIRED SOME THOMSON BLUE WRAPPING PAPER ON THE ROYAL MILE WHICH IS BEING USED. THERE IS A WOMAN CALLED SUSAN JANE THOMPSON -S J FOR SHORT -  WHO WORKS AT THE HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT AS A PRIVATE SECRETARY AND IS VERY ARTY CRAFTY.......SHES PUTTING THAT ITEM TOGETHER+ THE MACTAVISH ONE IN A SIMULAR VEIN . I'LL MEET HER ON SATURDAY PREVIOUS TO SUNDAY'S CEREMONY FOR A DRINK AT THE 'EARL GREY ' NEXT TO VICTORIA BARRACKS.
IN THE A.M - BECAUSE OF MY DUTIES - I SHALL ASK PERMISSION TO PLACE THE CROSSES PRIOR TO THE OFFICIAL CEREMONY OR IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS.
THE MESSAGE HAS TO BE CONCISE AND HEARTFELT.I DO NOT THINK I SHOULD HAVE INPUT AS I HAVE MY OWN TO CONCOCT.
SHOULD YOU WATCH IT ON TV.I'LL BE THE ONE IN THE RED HACKLE/DICED BONNET(SQUINTING-NOT ALLOWED TO WEAR MY RAYBANS!) TO THE LEFT OF THE FRONT RANK OF GUARDS BAND. I'LL REPORT ON ANY DIGNITARIES READING THE PRINT.

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 09:35:13 PM »
should anyone be curious re the gathering next summer- i drink single malt!

I'd send you some McT, but you're closer to the source and have access to better than I could provide. You'll have to be satisfied with knowing that I'll hoist one in your name from time to time, at least until we can meet in person.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 08:58:59 AM »
OK  The single Malt is on me for both you and S. J. Thomson Thank her for me.
 Still working on what to say - Clan Thomson;  lost and forgotten since 1607 is rising  from the dust of history to claim our place in modern Scotland.
  COME ON LADS - PUT SOME WORDS DOWN !
Tom

MACTAVISH

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 09:55:51 AM »
WELL TOM; SJ SINKS GIN AND TONICS IN LARGE AMOUNTS -SO, IF THERE'S DOUBLE MALTS GOING BEGGING IM HAPPY TO QWAFF HERS TOO!
 NB* A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO I NEEDED A FEMALE FOR A PARTY AT THE SCOTS GUARD'S OFFICER'S MESS(BUCKINGHAM PALACE/VICTORIA BKS) AND TOOK SJ ALONG. SHE WAS THE TOAST OF THE PARTY.SHE CHARMED ALL THE MEN AND BEFRIENDED THEIR PARTNERS....SHE ALSO WORE OUT THE STEWARDS SHOES. SHE MUST HAVE HOLLOW LEGS.I WAS ON MY 3rd WHISKY AND SHE ON HER 7th GIN- WITHOUT A HICCUP! IN THE A M SHE WAS UP AND TRAVELLING TO WORK AND I COULDNT GET OUT OF BED! MUST BE SOMETHING IN THE THOMPSON GENE POOL!
IF IT'S OK WITH YOU ; I'LL THANK HER ON YOUR BEHALF- SHE HAS EXPRESSED AN INTEREST IN THE EDINBURGH GATHERING; SO YOU MAY GET TO THANK HER YOURSELVES.
 BY THE BY; SJ IS A THOMPSON BY X MARRIAGE

MACTAVISH

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 10:14:52 AM »
MICHAEL, IT WOULD SUIT ME FINE WELL SHOULD YOU SALUTE ME WITH WHISKY; SLAIN'TE. BY THE BY, IM INTERESTED IN YOUR PHOTIE, IVE COME TO KNOW QUITE A FEW BORDER THOMS IN MY ROVING RESEARCHER GUISE AND YOU DO HAVE THEIR LOOK. I.E FEATURES/EXPRESSION. SO DOES TOM BY THE BY WITH A DIFFERENT SET. SCOTS DO HAVE A CERTAIN SET OF FEATURES(AS PER ALIDAIR CAMPBELL OF AIRDS- AND I TEND TO AGREE WITH HIM). THERE ARE PERHAPS A DOZEN FACIAL TYPES FOR MEN AND SLIGHTLY MORE FOR WOMEN- SO THE SCHOLARS SAY.
I MYSELF FAVOUR MY BRETON MOTHER'S FEATURES WITH DA'S ARGYLL BUILD AND MANNERISMS BUT AM PURE SCOTS BORN AND BRED.
ON A FURTHER DISCUSSIVE NOTE I HAVE TO SAY THAT THE IRISH ARE EXCELLENT PEOPLE- BOTH SIDES OF THE BORDER.THE SCOTS AND IRISH ARE AS THICK AS THIEVES. THE WELSH ARE CLOSE KNIT AND DONT LIKE NON WELSH. THEY ARE VERY IN BRED AND QUITE OFFENSIVE. THEY REFUSE TO SPEAK ENGLISH TO NON WELSH SPEAKERS. I GET ON OK AS A GAELIC SPEAKER BECAUSE THEY HAVE MANY SAME WORDS AND ALSO THEY ADMIRE TRADITION.   DAMN GOOD SOLDIERS.

MACTAVISH

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 10:19:05 AM »
TOM; JUST SPOKEN TO SJ. SHE HAS AQUIRED SOME THOMPSON HUNTING TARTAN ....AND I ASKED- OUT OF CURIOSITY- HER MAIDEN NAME- ARBUTHNOT! WHICH IS A VILLAGE IN KINCARDINESHIRE AND A CLAN/FAMILY.
ARE YOU HAPPY WE USE HUNTING TARTAN OR DO WE GO WITH THE THOMSON BLUE WRAPPING PAPER?

MACTAVISH

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 11:01:17 AM »
the wrapping paper would be in a plastic film/laminated and ergo weatherproof/ stiff

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 02:06:13 PM »
MICHAEL, IT WOULD SUIT ME FINE WELL SHOULD YOU SALUTE ME WITH WHISKY; SLAIN'TE.

SlĂ inte Mhath to yourself McTavish. I've just had a dram to your health.

BY THE BY, IM INTERESTED IN YOUR PHOTIE, IVE COME TO KNOW QUITE A FEW BORDER THOMS IN MY ROVING RESEARCHER GUISE AND YOU DO HAVE THEIR LOOK. I.E FEATURES/EXPRESSION. SO DOES TOM BY THE BY WITH A DIFFERENT SET. SCOTS DO HAVE A CERTAIN SET OF FEATURES(AS PER ALIDAIR CAMPBELL OF AIRDS- AND I TEND TO AGREE WITH HIM). THERE ARE PERHAPS A DOZEN FACIAL TYPES FOR MEN AND SLIGHTLY MORE FOR WOMEN- SO THE SCHOLARS SAY.
I MYSELF FAVOUR MY BRETON MOTHER'S FEATURES WITH DA'S ARGYLL BUILD AND MANNERISMS BUT AM PURE SCOTS BORN AND BRED.

Interesting to hear that. I do have quite a mixed heritage, but mostly Celtic to be sure.

ON A FURTHER DISCUSSIVE NOTE I HAVE TO SAY THAT THE IRISH ARE EXCELLENT PEOPLE- BOTH SIDES OF THE BORDER.THE SCOTS AND IRISH ARE AS THICK AS THIEVES. THE WELSH ARE CLOSE KNIT AND DONT LIKE NON WELSH. THEY ARE VERY IN BRED AND QUITE OFFENSIVE. THEY REFUSE TO SPEAK ENGLISH TO NON WELSH SPEAKERS. I GET ON OK AS A GAELIC SPEAKER BECAUSE THEY HAVE MANY SAME WORDS AND ALSO THEY ADMIRE TRADITION.   DAMN GOOD SOLDIERS.

I have definitely seen that the Scots and Irish are thick as thieves, and no wonder, if our Thompsons were border Reivers anyway, and the Irish have spent most of their history fighting off invasions and enduring 900 years of English perfidy. I did find the Welsh equally friendly when we were there though, perhaps they like Americans better or something. They are suspicious of outsiders to be sure. Or maybe you got in with a bad lot. To me they seemed quite friendly and helpful. Good beer too, and I hear they're making their own malt now, called Penderyn. Supposed to be quite good.
The Reivers Ride Again!