Author Topic: News from The Scotsman  (Read 9095 times)

Bobbie

News from The Scotsman
« on: February 11, 2008, 03:36:39 PM »
I ran across this today in reading the Scotsman's News and thought it very interesting. There is a video that goes with it but I can't move it to the forum.  The article is found here: http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/White-stag-like-a-ghost.3763034.jp

IT IS like a ghost fleeting among the heather, a beast of myth whose precise location must be protected from those who would do him harm.

The white stag, an animal of such rarity that it was revered by the ancient Celts as a messenger from the afterlife, has been seen on the west coast of Scotland.

These exclusive pictures show the rare beast grazing quietly among young red stags, unaware of his celebrity status as the only known example in Britain.

The animal was spotted during a recent field trip by Fran Lockhard, the partnership manager with the John Muir Trust, who photographed and filmed the white stag.

"It was amazing to crawl up so close to such a magnificent looking animal," she said. "He looked almost ghost-like next to the group of young red stags that he was mixing with. I am thrilled to know that there is a white stag roaming free out there in the Scottish Highlands. We will be watching this animal with interest, particularly as he will be reaching his full potential in the next couple of years."

The exact location of the sighting is being kept a secret for fear of putting the animal at risk from bounty hunters. The last-recorded wild white stag in Britain was shot by poachers in October last year on the border between Devon and Cornwall.

It was decapitated and its 300lb carcase found hanging from a tree. It is thought the stag's head, along with its antlers, had been claimed as a trophy and could be mounted and possibly sold for thousands of pounds.

White deer are often mistakenly thought to be albinos, but their unusual condition is caused by leucism, a rare genetic pattern that causes a reduction in the pigment in the animal's hair and skin. Unlike albinos who have characteristically red eyes, deer with leucism have normal colouring in their eyes.

A spokesman for the Deer Commission for Scotland said: "White red deer are rare, but not unheard of."

IT'LL BE ALL WHITE ON THE NIGHT

WHITE deer are potent figures in the mythology of many cultures and it is said to be very bad luck to kill one.

The Celts considered them to be messengers from the other world. They are closely identified with unicorns and their appearance is said to herald some profound change in the lives of those who encounter them.

In the Chronicles of Narnia, the White Stag is fabled to grant wishes to whoever catches him. There is a Scottish dance called The White Stag of Arran and, according to local tradition, a white stag is said to appear near Brodick Castle when one of the Hamilton chiefs dies to herald him to the other side.
Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everybody agrees that it is old enough to know better. --- Socratex

Mary

• Administrator
Re: News from The Scotsman
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:40:29 AM »
Hi Barbara!

Glad you posted this - I hadn't heard about it.  Funny, though.....another friend of ours recently sent us pictures of a snow white moose in Canada. It's huge - far bigger than the 'normal' moose which is really astounding, genetically. You see, white would be a highly recessive gene and normally, animals showing recessive genes are smaller, weaker and may have neurological problems. This guy was anything BUT recessive!

Wasn't there a white buffalo not long ago too?

Maybe nature is trying to tell us something...........

Barbara

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 12:10:36 PM »
I've seen a picture of that moose, the white buffalo too.  There's an American Indian lengend that goes with the white buffalo but I have CRS!   ::)

Mother nature may be trying to tell us something as you say Mary.

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Barbara

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 12:49:24 PM »
Mary, I found the white buffalo story.  This has nothing to do with Scots but maybe someone will want to read it.  Don't think the Indian legends came true though.

"American Legend is made flesh" No longer mythical White Buffalo a beacon to Plains tribes......

from the Houston Chronicle, Sept. 24, 1994

Miracle stands in her mother’s shadow, her champagne coat, ghostlike against the chocolate-colored herd. She is a mat of fuzz on a newborn frame. Yet Miracle is rarely among land-roving beasts. She is the mythical White Buffalo - symbol of hope, rebirth and unity for the Great Plains tribes.

Searching for Miracle will take you down long gravel path on the Heider family farm in south central Wisconsin. Three thousand pilgrims made the walk down the coarse stones earlier this month hoping to catch a glimpse of Miracle. Every day more come from all corners of the country. One man came from Ireland.

If all of this sounds a little crazy to you, consider this: The chance of a white buffalo being born makes your odds of winning the lottery look good, Miracles likelihood, according to the numbers from the National Buffalo Association, is somewhere in the range of 6 billion. Consider also that the only other documented white buffalo this century died in 1959. His name was Big Medicine. He lived for 36 years.

Now, there is Miracle, the infant calf born to a 1,100 -pound mother and now deceased father on Dave and Valerie Heider’s farm on the banks of the Rock River. She is a beacon for believers.

"The arrival of the white buffalo is like the second coming of Christ, says Floyd Hand, a Sioux medicine man from Pine Ridge, S.D., who was one of the first to make the pilgrimage. It "will bring about purity of mind, body and spirit, and unify all nations, black, red, yellow, and white."

There are countless stories about the White Buffalo, a different tale for every tribe.

"Many years ago, says Tony Ironshell of the Rosebud Sioux tribe in South Dakota, three hunters encountered a white buffalo calf. The white buffalo turned into a woman and instructed the hunters to return to their village and prepare for her arrival. When she came four days later, she carried the sacred pipe. With that pipe she brought Sioux laws, and many things changed. The pipe from the White Buffalo Calfwoman is still kept in South Dakota.

In their ancient White Buffalo Dance, the Fox Indians of Wisconsin shadow the vision of a legendary hunter, who could turn himself into a white buffalo at will after the beast appeared to him in a dream. A white buffalo with red eyes and horns, says the Fox, gave the hunter the power to single-handedly turn back an army of attacking Sioux.

Before the white buffalo’s birth, the Heiders had never known an Indian and knew little about Indian culture.

Now they are careful to say, "Native American," quickly correcting their tongues when they slip. And they readily recount the white buffalo stories they have heard.

"I am told, " says Valerie, "that Miracle’s birth means the rebirth of the Native American culture and a new peace with the whites.... I know that you have never been bear-hugged until you’ve been bear-hugged by a Native American."

Susan Shown Harjo cried at her Washington D.C. office when she heard about the birth of the white buffalo calf. "It filled me with joy that had to spill over," says Harjo, who is Cheyenne and Muskogee. "The white buffalo is an important symbol for a lot of Plains Indians because they are messengers of creation. It is an important sign of well being on the verge of an awakening."

Harjo, president of the Washington based Morning Star Institute, which works to preserve native culture, says the birth of Miracle should make "all people pause the world over."

Heider had never even heard of a white buffalo when he went out at 6:00 am on Aug. 20 (1994) to check the buffalo cow who seemed ready to give birth. Instead of the reddish-brown calf he expected to find, he had a shock.

"She was white. I couldn’t believe it," he says, still shaking his head. "That kind of thing only happens in fairy tales - and, now I know, in Indian tales too."

Heider called a journalist friend to tell her he had a cute little story about a white buffalo being born. He had no idea of the importance of the White Buffalo in the Indian mythology. The next thing he knew, The Associated Press picked up the story, and what started as a trickle of curious visitors became a torrent.

The Heiders, who are about 12 years shy of retirement age, have taken refuge in their home. The attention has become too much. Still, they have turned down countless offer to take Miracle off their hands.

"Miracle is going to stay and be with the herd," says Valerie.

They see no end to the crowds, but have no plans to profit from Miracle’s birth. They’ve put out a bucket for donations from well-wishers to provide for security and are awaiting a $4,600 electric gate they hope will give them week-day peace.

"As far as we know, Miracle will be something people will want to see as long as she lives," says Dave. "But my life ain’t gonna stop."

Even as he speaks, two more pilgrims pull up and start to make the long walk to Miracle.

"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain