Author Topic: Colorado is burning and a few prayers needed  (Read 6905 times)

Booner

Colorado is burning and a few prayers needed
« on: June 26, 2012, 09:26:24 AM »
Not for me, I live in Denver, but so much of the state is on fire and we've been setting records for high temperatures and it's so dry. Some part of the forest have been hard hit by the Pine Bark Beetle and all it takes is a little heat lightning and the fire is started.  Our largest fire (West of Ft. Collins, in the Pourdre Canyon) started that way.

Coupled with the heat and lack of rain is the wind. Everyday it's been 10 to 15 mph so the fires move real fast.  I work in downtown Denver and the foot hills are 6-10 miles away. Most days you cant see them due to the smokey haze.

So if you will, say a prayer for the fire-fighters and for those who have lost their homes.

Thank you.

Booner

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Colorado is burning and a few prayers needed
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 06:52:53 AM »
I checked with Michael a couple days ago about his family, Scott, Parker and all and everyone was fine ---

Prayers have been going strong since it started! I'm worried here with the 4th - everything is dead, burned up from continuing weeks and weeks of 90s and 100s and NO RAIN in over 7 weeks. My roses are dead, the grass, cattle/horses are all on hay (and there's only going to be one cutting of that), we've had big pans of water out for the squirrels, bunnies, and little lizards that living along the railroad ties PLUS the bird baths, hummingbird feeders.........  We wanted to go over to the west side of the state and visit Barbara and John, but we know the idiots are going to start with the fireworks in the next day or so and we're going to have fires. Fireworks on for sale here on almost every corner - we think they should have been totally banned this year...period. But, they're selling 'em and between the fireworks and the cigarettes starting fires along the roads it's too dangerous to leave.

You know, we rented a cabin for the Estes Park games.....we're hoping we still have a rental! ;)

Booner

Re: Colorado is burning and a few prayers needed
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 11:28:43 PM »
There was a fire started at a cabin outside of Estes park last week; I think their BBQ grill was the cause. Maybe you should call to make sure it wasn't the one you rented.  It seems everyday we have a new fire. I think another one started around Boulder today. if so that makes three.  You have to wonder if it's mother nature or some fool starting fires.  A friend of mine in Colorado Springs says the Waldo fire was arson caused. Some 30,000 have been displaced by that one alone. I heard there are no motels available between southern Denver and Pueblo.

Just amazing.

Booner