Genealogy > Thom(p)son DNA Project

Levi Thompson b. 1834ish lived in Alexandria Indiana..brick wall.

<< < (3/12) > >>

Mary:
Mike --

Forgive me, but I'm old  ;)

Did you post a copy of your DNA anywhere?  We actually have several members who sent my husband their DNA or posted it and found out that they are related on 67 markers with only 1 or 2 off (they DO spring from same family).  I have compiled and discussed this with so many, I can't remember if I saw yours.......?

William...we had a dead end too but it's our Antrim, Ireland end (Scotland > Ireland > US)   NEVER GIVE UP....NEVER SAY DIE!!!

Mary

uneven:
I have a few accounts on ybase and ysearch. I'd love to have someone else take a crack at it! I'm never sure if I'm looking for the right thing. One thing I run across all the time is that I have 46 markers with ancestry.com so there is some conversion to be done when I search on ysearch. Would you like to see my original ancestry.com numbers or the ysearch/ftdna converted numbers?

Thanks much.

mike

Thomas Thompson:
Hi Mike

I have been working on other projects haven't been active on the forum. Booner and I were able to convert the DNA results form Ancestry to the Family Tree format. I have a spread sheet using the DYS data for each marker and have added those who have only 2-4 distance from mine. I realize that is not much of a help to those who differ greatly form my self established model.
  The family Tree has started a new program of publishing the Thompson markers. I am in Group 9 perhaps because on the Irish connections.
 I also found several possible connections in the unrelated or 'need more information, section.
  I have written a new History of Clan Thomson for our Lord Lyon Petition and have included a short section on DNA Thompson connections. At the present time I am reconsidering that. Is it appropriate? I can not find any references to DNA in all of the various Lyon Court cases - I am not sure it will add anything to our case and am fearful of doing anything that might harm our position. I have emailed several experts asking for advice but to date none of them the taken the time to reply. I have the same problem on how to address our blazon desires on the cover letter. I guess I have gotton off topic.
Tom

uneven:
Hi Tom,

Given what I've found about my own Thompsons and DNA it seems pretty inconclusive all the way around. The only thing I could definitely say about Thom(p)sons in general is that we encompass a large swath of the genepool with Thompsons in multiple different DNA groups. One thing I found disconcerting when I asked some of the MacTavish crowd about their DNA was the implication that DNA proves Thompson is MacTavish (something they still seem to hold to on their facebook site). That's a position I don't think even their Chief supports, given articles I saw on electric Scotland. I'm positive some MacTavish's became Thompsons, why dispute it? From what I've read it's really common for individuals to join a larger clan and take their name. I don't think every Thompson was a MacTavish, that seems ludicrous given that not all Thompsons even fall under the basic Western European DNA group R.

That's one thing I really like about this group. Sanity. My proto-Thompson's may be genetically Anglo Saxons or Danes or Jutes or Britons. One way or another I think they made their way to Northern Britain, then Northern Ireland and then to the U.S. along with hundreds of other Thompson Families on the same journey. They lived and loved, fought and died as Thompsons.

As I move through my own DNA results it seems like I'm moving through the work of others over years of time. I fit exactly in OGAP group 19. Nobody thinks that's relevant now but it was nice to fit something! That group is supposed to represent the western isles and highlands. In 2007 I'd have been a Highlander. A few years later and those groups have fallen by the wayside. Once you have more evidence to consider, they just fall apart.

Given how fast and loose things are with DNA. I think you're right to question the use of DNA evidence in official work with Lord Lyon. 

For fun and clarity I made a few maps for myself. There's one Thomson, one Thompson and I fused together a Thom(p)son map myself using the 1891 census at world names profiler. http://thompsonhunt.blogspot.com/2010/10/thompson.html

I'd like to read the new history of Clan Thomson.

Should I post my DNA as a reply to this thread or upload a file somewhere? My ysearch id is QNYHC (one of many) it may contain mistranslated numbers. 

mike

Mary:

--- Quote from: uneven on December 03, 2010, 03:42:19 PM ---I have a few accounts on ybase and ysearch. I'd love to have someone else take a crack at it! I'm never sure if I'm looking for the right thing. One thing I run across all the time is that I have 46 markers with ancestry.com so there is some conversion to be done when I search on ysearch. Would you like to see my original ancestry.com numbers or the ysearch/ftdna converted numbers?

Thanks much.

mike

--- End quote ---

YES!  We have some from other members and could compare. Please either post or send to us at tomaryfarm@yahoo.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version