Genealogy > Thom(p)son DNA Project

Levi Thompson b. 1834ish lived in Alexandria Indiana..brick wall.

<< < (12/12)

Dusevoir:
Mary, That's a great website!  I don't believe I have ever seen it. 

uneven:
Thanks Mary! Once again, awesome stuff. I think proving his disability was so hard for him because he mustered out normally in 66. From his pension it seems like he received and injury to his leg on the march home and it ulcerated later.

At least in my branch of the family tree we have a high incidence of type 2 Diabetes. My Grandfather, Dad and I all had or have it. When he talks about a leg ulcerating and not healing it hits close to home. It must have eventually healed but terribly, as he says he was "quite lame" and in 1890 in Hopewell Mercer Ohio his disability is listed as "Stiff Leg".

I wonder if I can get his service record from the military. Something different than the pension record. I'd like to know how he got to Hopewell Ohio in 1890, what was there? I've looked at some maps. There is a union cemetery, but the town doesn't seem to be that large. In fact the union cemetery appears to be on a crossroads in the middle of nowhere.

My heart sunk a little today. I spent the afternoon looking through every cemetery listing in the madison county cemetery web site. They have a lot of great listings of pioneer cemeteries and I was able to find Rosa's dad James' grave (with picture!). Unfortunately, I also found out that the Alexandria Cemetery is a parking lot. It was destroyed and paved over. No one knows who is buried there.

Later relatives are buried in Oddfellows cemetery, but since I'm not finding Levi and Rosa there, I wonder if they are actually in that parking lot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version