Genealogy > Thom(p)son DNA Project

Levi Thompson b. 1834ish lived in Alexandria Indiana..brick wall.

<< < (2/12) > >>

uneven:
Thanks Mary for looking up that information on Levi's regiment. I have seen a summary like that somewhere online I think. It may have been at the sons of union soldiers site. There is one family name that really sticks out in the one you've sent. Anthony Steele. I've seen on ancestry.com that there is a John L. Thompson that marries Rosanna Steele in the right time frame to be my Thompson, but I never see Levi anywhere else listed as John and have no real proof that it could be him other than it's the only time I see a marriage reference between an L thompson and Rosanna in that time. So John is one of the names that catches my eye. It seems that I found some civil war records of a tombstone for a John Thompson (again of course it could be a John Thompson from Dekalb or something).

Will it be okay if my gedcom file has others from my family in it? I've got a short tree that I use at myheritage.com. It's pretty sparse (250 or less records) but it does contain some from my Mom's family and my maternal grandmother's family (they were much easier to trace).

Mary:
Sure!  Just post it online (redact living members) and we'll all take a look.......or, send it as is on to Cathy at cmctavish@zimbrick.com and she'll add it to the rootsweb list.

Glad you found something interesting in the stuff anyway!

Mary

uneven:
Thanks Mary for all your help! I sent it off to Cathy a few minutes ago.

When I started working on my family tree. I wasn't even sure what my grandparents names were. I always just kind of lived in the dark. When my kid tried to fill out a family tree for school and I couldn't tell him anything, I got motivated to have "a past". Everyone else seems to know where they come from.

For many branches of my tree is has been fairly easy. Thompsons..my Thompsons anyway, seem to be pretty hard to follow. I've been told by a distant family member that I'll never find them. Can't seem to accept that. Just makes me want to prove them wrong.

William J. Thompson:
Hey, cousin! I sympathize with your plight. With so many Thompsons, you'd think it'd be easier to connect the dots. I grew up knowing names a few generations back on my mother's side, with loads of aunts and uncles and records and stories and stuff... My dad, on the other hand, was an only child, his parents were divorced, and no one had any information on the Thompson side of things at all! We're slippery people all over, apparently!  ::)

Ancestry has been a good resource as far as census records go. I've traced back a few generations, but run aground at 1830. My John Thompson (darn those common names!!) just appears out of nowhere. The fact that the whole family for his generation were apparently illiterate farmers doesn't help a great deal. Not a lot of filling out the family Bible and writing diaries, y'know.  :'(

Unfortunately, no Hoosiers in my branch of the tree yet. We were all in Tazewell county, Virginia, so no help to you there. Keep pluggin' away, a lead's bound to surface somewhere!

uneven:
Thanks for the encouragement William. I hate to say it, but it's nice to know others are in the same boat. In your case, exactly the same boat! My guy springs out of the soil too. Census records are only so helpful and I've already run into several instances where people were listed who were dead or their ages and names were wildly off. My guy was poor, none of his kids knew where he was from and he died in his 30s. I'm going to have to make some trips and start walking cemeteries to see if I can find some sort of grave marker. I think it will be tough though because he lives in a pretty blurry time.

Have you done any DNA testing? It hasn't been that helpful for me yet, but I think that is because participation among Thom(p)sons is pretty light compared to our biomass on the planet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version