Author Topic: 23 and me and FTDNA pricing change/sales  (Read 15928 times)

uneven

• where you're from depends on when you stop looking
    • Thompson Hunt
23 and me and FTDNA pricing change/sales
« on: April 15, 2011, 02:28:23 PM »
23 and Me and FTDNA are offering new and special pricing for DNA Day.

https://www.23andme.com/

and a link to FTDNA's information from the Genetic Genealogist blog.

http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.com/2011/04/ftdnas-dna-day-sale-starts-now.html

Mike Thompson from Michigan..then Indiana..then Pennsylvania and further...probably somewhere there are sheep. Call me Legion for I am many.

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
Re: 23 and me and FTDNA pricing change/sales
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 06:44:59 AM »
Hurray for sales.  My sister took advantage of the last sale. 

Have you used the Gedmatch tools?  Take a look.  They take data from 23andme and FamilyTreeDNA and combine them.   I've noticed a Ron Thompson in our matches with Gedmatch. 

http://www.gedmatch.com

Barb

by the way.....have you noticed the name McClintick or McClintock in your matches or tree?
Old Genealogists never die - they just lose their census.

uneven

• Thompson Hunt
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 09:19:25 AM »
I'll have to go look for McClintocks. I ordered the 23 and me test a few days ago. I kicked myself for not posting a link to it when it was on sale for 0 down and $9 a month for a year. I think it brought the total to $109. It looks like a good set of tests. MTDNA along with YDNA and a family finder style match.

I was hoping there was a place to reconcile and search 23 and me and Family Finder results. I'll have to check out Gedmatch. My test has shipped, maybe I'll get it next week. They say it takes 6 to 8 weeks to process so hopefully I'll have my results by midsummer and can start comparing and searching.

From the advertising it sounded like 23 and me would fill in many of the annoying gaps in my Ancestry tests by providing a more in depth SNP test for my Y (and any test at all for my MTDNA!). I didn't pay much attention to the medical portion of 23 and me but I will laugh if they tell me my odds of having type 2 diabetes are high.

mike

Mike Thompson from Michigan..then Indiana..then Pennsylvania and further...probably somewhere there are sheep. Call me Legion for I am many.

uneven

• Thompson Hunt
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 09:38:18 AM »
I couldn't find any McClintocks in my trees. Did a cursory glance of some of my matches in Y dna but that's a real long shot.

It will be cool to have more matches from across my genes since my straight Thompson line has been something of a barrier.

It's cool that you have a Thompson in your matches though. That would be exciting!

mike

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 10:31:58 AM »
I couldn't find any McClintocks in my trees. Did a cursory glance of some of my matches in Y dna but that's a real long shot.

It will be cool to have more matches from across my genes since my straight Thompson line has been something of a barrier.

It's cool that you have a Thompson in your matches though. That would be exciting!

mike

Thanks for checking.  Any word from 23andme about your test results?  Once you download to Gedmatch, I might see you around!

uneven

• Thompson Hunt
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 11:58:38 AM »
They did say they received my sample...which is good. I guess it'll be about 6 weeks for results.

mike.

uneven

• Thompson Hunt
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »
boy. Six weeks is a long time.

Well, it gave me some time to see what I'll get and won't get. I won't get my Y str markers, but that's okay because I've already gotten them from ancestry.com and I don't match anyone close enough to worry about it yet anyway.

I should get my Y haplogroup and subclade which can give some idea of general location in the world. I'll also get my maternal DNA which will give me information on my moms back to my all-mother. 23 and Me has a service like family finder at FTDNA that should help me search for genetic cousins on all sides and hopefully I can load those results up into GEDmatch and meet up with FTDNA participants there.

I still recommend people test with FTDNA to get the most information and to be able to work with the most other people. I'm just cheap and the $100 deal at 23 was too good to pass up.

Along those lines I see that Ybase.org (run by DNA Heritage) is redirecting straight to FTDNA with a message about it's operations transitioning. Hopefully DNA Heritage customers will have their records moved!

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 03:42:13 PM »
I can't wait.  It will be interesting to see if we connect through Gedmatch.

Mary

• Administrator
Re: 23 and me WARNING
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 06:15:15 PM »
Genetic test maker 23andMe stops marketing after FDA warning

(Reuters) - Home genetic test maker 23andMe, which is backed by Google Inc, stopped marketing its products last week after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned that it did not have regulatory approval to do so, a company spokeswoman said.

The company stopped television, radio and online advertising for its $99 DNA test which is supposed to detect a range of genetic variants and provide information about a person's health risks, the spokeswoman said.

The FDA said last week it had sent a warning letter to the company on November 22 stating that products designed to diagnose, mitigate or prevent disease were medical devices that required regulatory clearance.

The agency also said false positive tests for certain breast or ovarian cancers could lead a patient to undergo preventative surgery including mastectomy, intensive screening or other potentially risky procedures. A false negative could result in a failure to recognize and act on an actual risk.

Company founder Anne Wojcicki said in a November 26 blog post that the company had been talking to the FDA since 2008 and had submitted its first application for clearance in July last year, followed by another submission in September.

She said the company had received feedback on the submissions and was behind in its responses.

"We stand behind the data that we return to customers - but we recognize that the FDA needs to be convinced of the quality of our data as well," Wojcicki wrote in the post.

The FDA in its warning letter described those applications as withdrawn because the company had not responded to requests to provide additional information.

(Reporting by Caroline Humer; Editing by Stephen Coates)
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/genetic-test-maker-23andme-stops-marketing-fda-warning-013521562--sector.html