Author Topic: Glasgow Lands Scottish Festival  (Read 15816 times)

Stirling Thompson

Glasgow Lands Scottish Festival
« on: July 19, 2012, 05:53:16 AM »
Clan Thom(p)son will be represented this Saturday July 21, 2012 at the Glasgow Lands Scottish Festival! Dottie and I will be joined by my grandson Ben, who is visiting for a couple of weeks, to man tent at Look Park in North Hampton, MA. So if anyone is in the area stop in and say hello. I will post a report and pictures afterwards.
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Glasgow Lands Scottish Festival
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 03:00:34 PM »
Hi Guys -

Thanks for doing another games for the home team! We are awaiting some banners from a new company to see if they are useable. With our treasury sorely depleted from the Lyon Court expenses, we had to find a really inexpensive place and we are hoping that it will be good enough to use --- at least until we can afford better  :)  Wish we had something to send for right now, but...........not yet!

Have a good time, above all. Take lots of new member apps - hope springs eternal! Will look for your pictures - they're always great.

Wish we had some help we could send you, but it's hard to find volunteers like you!

Hey Stu - where did you get your helmet?

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 04:28:46 PM »
Mary,
Thanks. Any word on when we get a copy of the Letters Patent that we can frame and show off?
I got the helmet from Mingloo International for $114 including shipping. I found them on-line at www.mingloo.com the item number is AH3819. Of course that was a while back so prices may have gone up.
Stu
Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 11:22:25 AM »
Had some issues trying to post yesterday so this is attempt #2...

We left home bright and early Saturday morning and drove the hour and a half out to Look Park in Florence, MA for the 19th annual Glasgow Lands Scottish Festival. We arrived about 7:30 am and Dottie, Ben and I quickly got to work and got everything set to go by 8:30 am before the first visitors started to roam the Clan Village.

There was a good turnout of clans again this year with about 30 clans and societies in attendance.

There was another double row behind us but I didn't get any pictures of their set ups.
Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 11:23:54 AM »
My grandson Ben had a good time visiting the other clan tents and learning about weaving.

Ben now says he wants a loom for Christmas!
Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 11:25:18 AM »
Opening ceremonies started with the massed bands first on the parade field.

Then the piper came through and we all fell in behind for the Parade of Clans!

Of course we all got to announce our presence... 'Deny us not! Thompsons ride! Shake loose the border!'

We had a good turnout of visitors with steady flow throughout the day.

Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 11:27:08 AM »
One of Dottie's co-workers from school, Melissa McElreath, was there to compete in women's heavy athletic events.

She came in 3rd overall against some tough competition.
Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 11:28:38 AM »
In addition to the Scottish dancers , pipe bands, and athletics they also had a dog show again this year.

By the end of the day we were all pretty tired but we all had fun and look forward to doing it again next year. Next up for me will be the 34th annual Maine Games in Topsham, Maine on August 18, 2012.
Stu
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:30:10 AM by Stirling Thompson »
Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 11:33:23 AM »
I had some problems posting this report probably because of too many pictures so I had to break it up into several parts. Start with reply#3 and work up from there.
Stu
Stu

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »
Some how I missed your post last month. I asked Mary two or three times if Stu had posted any pictures of the games. She probally answered but some how It
got lost in the grey matter.
Great pictures and I can say for all of us you done us proud.
Tom