Genealogy > Thom(p)son Genealogy

Descendants of John William Thomson/William John Thomson

<< < (2/5) > >>

David Thompson:
William J. Thompson was born in the County Down in Ireland in the year 1722. He became a Land Baron in Tazwell County Virginia in what is now called Thompson Valley. Commissioner of Peace 1790 and Sheriff 1797. His first Wife was Jane Buchanan born in the County Down in Ireland 1732 and died 1764 in Thompson Valley. His second wife was Lydia Graham born in Augusta County, Virginia 1743 and died Thompson Valley 12 October 1830. She was the daughter of William Graham and his wife Jean 'Jane' Mays. William J. Thompson had a son Named Andrew Thompson born in the County Down, Ireland in 1750. He was an Ensign, 1st New Jersey, Continental Army on 03 April 1777, taken prisoner at Brandy Creek in Pennsylvania 11 September 1777; Exchanged 17 December 1780 from Long Island, New York retired with rank of Lieutenant on 01 January 1781, and became a Gentleman Farmer. His wife Ann 'Nancy' was born in England in 1750; They were married in Wythe County, Virginia in 1775 and she died in the County of Bland, Virginia 1840.

Cathy McTavish:
Your family stories are great David.  You know last night, I first had time to put the information you sent me in our data base.  I think I should rename the database, as it is really a Thompson, rather than Clan MacTavish database.  I will update the file and post it to rootsweb and ancestry.com tonight. 

What really makes genealogy and family history fascinating is when you can learn something about your ancestors.  Just names and dates is rather boring information.  When you can determine where they lived, what they did, they become alive once again!

I knew next to nothing about Canadian history until I learn of my deep Canadian roots, then I started reading, became an Amazon best customer yet again, and learning about Canadian history..........the same with Scottish history, about all I knew 15 years ago, was that the Scots didn't much like the English, they wore Kilts, had a monster and were cool.................What I have learned is fascinating and I am a nature story tellers, so my grandkids are totally enraptured by my tales............which are a bit embelished I admit! 

Graham, I had ancestors in Canada by 1610.  The first 20 or so families...........we intermarried an awful lot back then!!  That was 10 years before the Mayflower...........................history is so fascinating!

Cathy

David Thompson:
I am glad to see you are still among us Cathy. I have missed the fun we had last summer. It is great to finally be able to find my roots back to Scotland.

Graham Thompson:
Does anyone know is the name Graham is a Scottish or Irish name, or is it just a name pulled out of the mud?

David Thompson:
Hey Graham,

Their are a few Grahams in my family. They came from England and Ireland. I don't know about Scotland. Hope this helps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version