Author Topic: Maine Games  (Read 11613 times)

Stirling Thompson

Maine Games
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:47:37 AM »
Clan Thom(p)son will be represented at the Maine Highland Games on Saturday August 21, 2010 at the Topsham Fairgrounds, Topsham, ME. I've been looking forward to this one all year since I'm from Maine originally and it's the first one where I'm sure the MacTavish will have a tent as well. We should be well represented as Dottie and I and four of our six grandkids should be there. My brother Ray and his son have said they're coming and I've spoken with Tom's brother, Chuck, and he plans to be there as well, especially since he only lives about 15 minutes away in Bath, ME. I'll keep you all posted.
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
Re: Maine Games
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 02:41:35 PM »
Sounds great Stu! Glad to be so well represented. All our best wishes.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Barbara

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:07:31 PM »
Stu, looking forward to your report and pictures too.  Have a good time!   :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 03:24:39 PM »
Finally back home! The Maine Games were a great success and lots of fun for everyone who attended! It was great to meet Chuck and his wife, Jeanine, and they were a big help in manning the tent. We met lots of Thoms so hopefully we'll get some new members. I also had a nice visit and chat with Sherry Thompson Boyd (Clan MacTavish rep I'm sure some of you remember). She came to the tent to say hello and I invited her to sit awhile and chat. We agreed there were plenty of Thoms to go around and if I found any from Argyll I'd them her way and if she found any border Thoms she'd sent them my way. Oddly enough MacTavish didn't have a tent this year due to health issues with those that usually run it since Sherry was tied up with the SAS NH tent and her husband's clan tent. Anyway, it was quite cordial and hopefully we will be able to maintain a peaceful relationship in the future.

The Maine Games bill themselves as the largest one day event in the northeast and from the turnout it would be hard to argue that point. They featured heavy athletics for men and women, dance competitions, pipe band competitions and tons of vendors. The weather was absolutely gorgeous with temps in the 80's and bright sun most of the day, although the afternoon clouds provided some welcome relief from the heat. We got there a little after seven and Dottie and the grandkids, Leah and Jacob, helped get the tent up ready for the gates to open at eight. Chuck and Jeanine arrived shortly after and stayed with us all day and break everything down at the end. My brother, Ray, and his girlfriend Peggy and his son Joe drove up from MA and stayed for a few hours then drove back to MA (about 3-4 hrs one way). This was the first year at the Topsham Fairgrounds but it looks like it will be a good venue for the future. I do have pictures and will post them to my facebook page as soon as I can.

The next games in New England is this coming weekend in Quechee, VT. We won't have a tent there this year because I had no response to my email requests but I spoke with Dave Campbell, VT SAS President and should be there for next year. I think Dottie and I will go up on Saturday and check it out anyway just for fun. After that is the NH Games at Loon Mountain in September but I'm going to pass on that one. My last games for the season will be Scotland, CT in October and I'll post more on that later. 
Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 10:23:50 AM »
Stu

Donna

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 11:42:37 PM »
Well done Stu & Dottie!  Thanks for posting your photos...

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 07:23:48 PM »
Stu

Glad to see the report with all the grand pictures. Did you get any feedback on crowd attendance this year vs last year? Do you think it would be an event we should include next year?
   Any suggestions on what we could do the induce Thoms to join Clan Thompson Society as supporting members?
Tom

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 08:52:03 AM »
Stu!  Great pictures and you've done us proud again.  :)

The last time Tom and I were in Maine at the games, a huge storm came up and wiped everything out shortly after noon. It was Chuck and Janine's first games and we had a good time there - and a chance to visit with family!

Sounds like a marvelous time - maybe next year we will be able to make it there. This year just didn't lend itself to extensive travel for us for a number of reasons but we're hoping next year will be better.   

Keep up the good work and ENJOY the games!  ;D

Mary