Author Topic: News from the Loch Norman Games  (Read 11736 times)

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
News from the Loch Norman Games
« on: April 17, 2011, 12:58:33 PM »
Greetings Thom(p)sons!

Here is this intrepid reporter’s account of the Loch Norman Games. At least one day of it.

It was a dark and stormy night……………..ok, it was morning.

Robert and I left Marshall, NC in the rain, drove to Loch Norman….in the rain, got there; yep, you guessed it…in the rain. The sky was dark and the wind was blowing as we made our way across the parking area to the gate. Caught a ride from the “golf cart guy”, paid the entrance fee and crossed through the gate just as the sky opened up. And from the looks of the ground, not for the first time. By the time we made the Clan tent we were soaked and the group huddled in the tent didn’t look much dryer. We all stood behind the umbrellas Robert and I brought, to stay out of the wind. It was blowing so hard that all the flags were standing straight out, even soaking wet.

Sounds like fun, eh?

It gets better. No, really…..

After 30 minutes or so Mother Nature decided we knew who was Boss and the rain stopped, the sun shone and things dried out………..sorta. For the first part of the day the crowd was a wee bit thin but once the sun started shining activity picked up. Never saw so many “wellies” in my whole life! Pink ones, polka dotted ones, and of course the ever popular green. Very useful as one walked along the muddy ground past the Clan tents.

Most attendees were dressed in their finest, however damp it might have been. The competition resumed on a sodden field. There was only one injury that I saw; a miscalculation during the Caber toss (Taber? I saw it printed both ways…) but he did get up and walk away. The ever popular Border Collies were herding their respective livestock with great attention and skill. Down at the re-enactment camp the sounds of gun fire rang loud, smoky and frequent.

Food and beverages were consumed in abundance. Lots of turkey legs were seen, but nary a sight of the rest of the turkey. (Are turkey legs Scottish?) The Venders were out in force and with enough money you could have outfitted yourself from top to bottom with all things Celtic.

There was a decent turn out at our Clan tent. Tough to keep things on the table with the wind but we managed. Chatted up the visitors that stopped by, stamped passports for the kids and managed to get a “Thom(p)son teenager” interested in the Clan and some handouts in his hands all while his soccer team buddies were standing there; even snagged their interest after a few minutes. Teased them about wearing a kilt (the suggestion was met with horror until I said look at the guys wearing them and see how many girls are trailing after….I rest my case) and sent them on their way.

Activities wound down and we started to close up shop. Took several pictures during the day; then wandered down by the grandstand to shoot some more pictures of the closing ceremonies. Love those bagpipes!

Stayed through the awards and until the bands left the field. Passed the aforementioned Thom(p)son teenager and gave him a shout to see if he still had his handouts; he held them up with a big smile. We could hear from that one…………..

More pictures at the tent and hugs all ‘round. Then Robert and I made our way back to the car. Enjoy the pictures…and plan on joining the fray next year!

I remain yer Coz and there not a thing you can do about it!
Sherry
 PS. Pictures to follow....
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
Re: News from the Loch Norman Games
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »
And now for the picures...........

[attachment deleted by admin]
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 01:35:08 PM »
...and a couple more...

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 01:39:21 PM »
yep you guessed it more pics

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 01:52:35 PM »
ditto..

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 02:00:56 PM »
yeah, yeah, yeah

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 02:03:58 PM »
the end..........for now anyway..

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 02:06:58 PM by Sis Thompson's oldest »

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 06:53:50 PM »
Oh Sherry ---

Thank you for the WONDERFUL write-up! You do have a knack for whimsy and for putting the day in the best and most humorous light! :)  The pictures are super - my doesn't Sharon look great in her new getup? I mean, Jim looks grand too, but I'd not see Sharon's outfit before.

The tent looks good considering the rain and the wind! I can imagine you all grabbing and mopping all day long. That was one good idea from past days - always carry some nice size rocks (I'm partial to painted ones) or fabric beanbags like I made to throw on top of the papers. Before I got them, we ran out of hands to hold stuff down - no matter how many people were there trying. Looks like I'll have to come up with some kind of system to keep handouts dry as well as in place...........hmmmm.........open for suggestions! :-\

Anyway, you all did a wonderful job and the pictures are great. Do kind of wonder about the one "Pretty as a girl...." but, they do say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....

Thank you everyone - you made the day a success. ;D

Oh and we got a new member from SC.........a Claude Thompson. Do you remember if he was at the games? He would be 73.........

Mary

Donna

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 11:31:36 PM »
Well done Sherry!

We can never have too many photos  :D  and the write up
is great!

Thanks!   :-*
Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !