Author Topic: Clan Thompson Colorado returns to Elizabeth Celtic Festival  (Read 16166 times)

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
Hope everyone in the Rocky Mountain Region can join us July 20 and 21 at Casey Jones Park for the Elizabeth Celtic Festival. This is always a good one for the gathering of the clans, and they have some excellent Scottish games, at which Lowell Thompson always does well.

http://www.elizabethcelticfestival.com/
The Reivers Ride Again!

Lowell Thompson

• art-handlers.com
Re: Clan Thompson Colorado returns to Elizabeth Celtic Festival
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 08:52:18 AM »
See you there Thompson types.
THROW HARD!!!

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 08:14:48 PM »
Wish Paul and I could make it to that neck of the woods soon! Would love to hang out at another Thompson tent! Til then, have fun!
The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 07:44:39 AM »
Have fun! Don't forget to put a write-up and some pics on the forum -- we love pics! Is your son in any piping contests there?

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 06:25:46 PM »
Had a great time in Elizabeth, though it was quite hot. We high country people aren't used to that. Met quite a few people, many of whom were interested in the history of the Border Reivers. I was glad we had the informational poster Mary had made with the Reiver names. Didn't get any new Thompsons, but Bells and Moffats and some others were intrigued to see their names on the list.

Congratulations to Lowell Thompson, who took fourth in the Masters Competition and First in the 190 lb. Class in the games at Elizabeth Colorado over the weekend. He does a good job of representing Clan Thompson at these games.

Lowell said the Masters Division is tough competition. It's for guys over 40 and the older ones get extra points for each year of age, so they're tough to beat.

The announcer kept trying to auction Lowell off to the ladies in attendance. Last I heard, they were up to 56 cents bid by a party of four ladies, on condition that Lowell would buy each of them a beer. I'll leave it to him to say how all that turned out.

Next month, Highlands Ranch, then Estes Park and Edgewater in September.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 04:40:42 PM »
Sorry I'm late posting, but I was at the Jane Austen Festival and then, recovering!  I understand hot - it was over 100 degrees all 4 days we were there plus the day we took setting up the store (in a big marquee tent). Whew!

Great picture of you and Lowell! I like his shirt, too. You got a new hat? Looks hand made.....?

It's fun when people who are listed on the poster see themselves! They get so excited -- run off and get husbands/wives to come and read....great fun! I AM surprised that Moffats and Bells wouldn't know their reiver history tho....they never died out and should be familiar with their history. But, it's great when they get 'another nugget' of information that they don't expect ;)  We've had people ask if they can get copies of the poster to use in their tents.....so far, we haven't shared it because it's such a show-stopper for us! Thanks go to Stu for the original idea!

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 06:57:14 PM »
Yes, Lowell's shirt was what the athletes were wearig to compete in the games. And thanks for noticing the hat. I knit it myself from a 16th Century Scots Bonnet pattern.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Donna

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 12:05:51 AM »
Hey Michael,
Knowing you made the hat yourself, makes it all the more beautiful  :D
Where can I get the pattern?

Donna
in California
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 10:36:47 AM »
Michael,
I think I used the same pattern...didn't you post it on the forum?

Anyway, it was my first time using dbl ended needles.....very interesting! It knit up quickly and I was pleased to see it take shape, however, by the time I was done I realized I had started off using the largest pattern size! I have a lovely scots bar stool cover now, in slightly felted wool.  ::) I have since highlighted the correct size directions and will try again in the fall.

Your hat turned out very well!
Cheers,
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »
Hey Sherry!  Hurry up and knit another one..... I have two bar stools in the basement that they could grace and my carpeting is blue too!  I'll expect them in the mail soon  ;D

I couldn't tell from Michael's picture if it was knit or material. I have used double-pointed needles to make socks and I swore "never again." I think that still holds true for me. I don't mind spinning the wool or weaving, but that's about it now. It's a good looking hat tho.........

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »
I think I may have posted it on the Forum before. It's called 16th Century Scots Bonnet and it's on Scotwars web site. Here's the link Donna. http://www.scotwars.com/equip_bonnetpattern.htm

I started out with double pointed needles, but switched to circular when it got pretty big. I actually prefer double points for things like socks and hats, but I'm working on getting out of my rut and us circular needles too. I'm working on some socks right now that call for using two circulars and I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I used the biggest directions too Sherry, and it wound up really huge. I used my extreme felting technique to get it down to where it's wearable, even though I have a pretty big head. (That means I put it in a bag, threw it in the washer for the full cycle, and then put it in the dryer.) Felting is about heat and agitation, the more you do of both, the more it shrinks and felts. So you might try washing it in hot water again Sherry, and see if it gets small enough.

So Mary, it is knit, but the felting makes it into material. It's an authentic 16th Century pattern, so I figured it's good for the Border Reiver period.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Donna

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 10:03:16 AM »
Michael,
Thank you for directing me to the hat pattern!  :-*
Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Moira

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 06:55:50 AM »
Yep - felting was how they made so much of the Scottish outdoor wear as close to water proof as you can get........felting and leaving in a lot of the natural lanolin in the wool. Commercial mills strip all the lanolin out when they process wool into yarns, so you can't get the same degree of 'proofing' but you've created that expensive Melton wool! Well done!

I have some blue wool that I want to make into some tams......I think it's going to have to be a winter project.