Author Topic: 41st Annual Quechee Scottish Festival and Celtic Fair  (Read 17389 times)

Stirling Thompson

41st Annual Quechee Scottish Festival and Celtic Fair
« on: August 27, 2013, 07:08:16 AM »
By the time sun rose in Vermont's Green Mountains on Saturday August 24, 2013 I had already been on the road for nearly two hours of the trip from home to the Quechee Polo Grounds.

My granddaughter Leah spent the night before with us so we could get on the road early (4:30 AM). She was filling in to help out since Ray had family commitments that day.

I have to say that Saturday was the best day weather wise we've had since I started running a clan tent. For the setup it was a cool mountain morning but then it warmed up nicely through the course of the day with no humidity.

This year Quechee set a record for themselves of 45 clans in attendance plus a number of Grade IV and V pipe bands on hand for the competition, Scottish dancers, heavy athletics and the Vermont Sheepdog Championship Trials. Professional entertainment was provided by Fifth Business, Ru-Ra, Frost and Fire and Prydein. There were games for the kids and the Historic Highlanders. The weather brought out an excellent crowd and a wonderful time was had by all.

And the pictures...

The Clan Tent!

The view to the left!

The view to the right with piper!

View of the right end.

Just me!

Granddaughter Leah!

Leah again!

We had our own private band right behind us all day!

We had beautiful weather and a great turnout!

The kids had lots of fun!

Individual piper competition!

Our friend Gail Kilgore from Clan Munro likes the new 'Only recognized' banner!
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Mary

• Administrator
Re: 41st Annual Quechee Scottish Festival and Celtic Fair
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 08:27:41 AM »
Hi Stu, Dot and Leah!

Good grief!  On the road at 4:30 AM!?!?  THAT'S dedication money can't buy and we can't thank you enough for all the running around New England you do for the clan....above and beyond. 45 clans at Quechee.....that's 12 more than are attending the much-vaunted Scotland Live! or Bannockburn 2014 festivals!

Your pictures are great! Bright and sharp and make me want to be there! Loved the picture of Gail with the new banner...glad she stopped by to say "hi." We keep hoping one of these years we'll be able to make the trek north and join you too.

Where are the athletics and band competitions held? Can you see them from the clan tent area? You should be able to at least HEAR the bands  ;)

Leah make a bright addition to your tent - with her red hair and big smile, she's the 'perfect accessory'  ;D

Thanks again guys.....truly 'wish we were there.'

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 11:14:50 AM »
Mary,
If you look at the picture below I was located about where the number 7 is in the Clan area but that really isn't to scale. The polo grounds are huge so I could barely hear the bands when they played and we couldn't even see the athletic area or the dancers from where we were, and if it wasn't in the brochure I never would have known the sheepdog trials were there.

Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Ernestt481

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:13:52 PM »
Congratulations Stu on such a great display.
When it turns out to be such a beautiful day in a great landscape with family and friends the getting there is well worth it.
Good on ya mate.
Ern

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 04:55:01 PM »
Thanks for the chart, Stirling!  I hadn't realized it covered so much ground. We'd love to show up and help one of these years......would be a lot easier if you were further  south! ;)

Tom and I went to the Maine Games about 6 years ago or so and they were TINY. We were surprised at how small they were. At least this one looks worth the effort!

Barbara

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 06:08:39 PM »
Wonderful photos!  Looked like heavy dew in the morning but burned off as the morning progressed?  Thanks for sharing.   :D

Barb
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 10:10:17 AM »
Stu

I had to look twice at your picture.  At first glance, I thought I was looking at Barbara's husband - John.
Tom

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 09:44:12 PM »
Love your pictures! Nice tent! Beautiful greenery....it's kinda dry 'round these parts (California).
I know I've never introduced myself to you, but I always read your posts and look at your pictures! :)

Cheryll here, pleasure to meet you!
The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

Donna

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 11:31:02 PM »
Hey Stu & Dot
Thanks for posting the wonderful photos! And Leah is a real beauty...Please
give her a big hug from Clan Thompson for her help at the Gathering.

Donna   :D
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !