Author Topic: 26th Annual Scottish Highland Festival, Scotland CT  (Read 15008 times)

Stirling Thompson

26th Annual Scottish Highland Festival, Scotland CT
« on: October 14, 2013, 01:54:38 PM »
The day was cool and overcast but dry, a somewhat typical mid-October day in New England. Ray and I arrived around 7:30 AM to set up the tent and we were ready well before the first busload of visitors arrived. They shut down Waldo Road and shuttle everyone down on school buses from the parking area on Rt. 97 about two miles away. We had a steady flow of visitors throughout the day as the turnout was excellent and we met lots of wonderful folks including several Thomsons and Thompsons.

I had a great visit with Chapman Thompson, his son Christopher and their family. They are currently members of Clan MacTavish but after I spoke with them I think we got some converts. I invited them to join us for the Parade of Tartans and Christopher even carried the camel tartan for me.

This year there were 38 clans and societies in attendance along with five pipe bands for the opening ceremonies with Charlie Zahm doing the honors for the National Anthem and Scotland the Brave. This year the bands after their individual competition playing was done marched off through the Clan Village and one even stopped right in front of our tent and performed several pieces before retiring.

Of course, there was the usual athletic and dance competitions along with the band and individual piper competitions and a sheepdog demonstration. The Historic Highlanders were there giving sword fighting demonstrations and a classic Scottish dance group giving lessons and then I entered and lost the Bonnie Knees contest.

And now the moment you've all been waiting for..... the photos!

Clan Village layout... we were in #35.

The Waldo Homestead is on the North side of Waldo Road along with the athletics and sheepdog.

The usual Clan Tent setup.

Ray and new friend Chapman Thompson.

The whole family joined us for the parade, Christopher and his son, Chapman, myself and Ray.

Music at the barn.

Pipe band mini-concert right in front of the tent!

A bonnie lad and lass!

The Historic Highlanders!

Northern view.

Northeast corner of the village.

Southwest view.

Southern view.

Southeast view.

This was the last games for 2013 for me we'll do it all again next year starting in June with the Rhode Island Games.
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
Re: 26th Annual Scottish Highland Festival, Scotland CT
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:50:08 PM »
Love your pictures Stirling!  I really like the set up there. Sure were a lot of Clan tents!  Looks like the truth won over the new converts. The truth always overcomes. Good job Stirling. The Thompson tent looks GREAT too!  Sure hope to meet you one day!    ;D

-Cheryll
The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 07:54:09 PM »
You've done us all proud once again, Stu!  And Ray is looking right "smart" in his grey Thompson kilt, too! The tent looks great and THOSE FLAG POLES!  Oooh la la!

I like the looks of the grounds - LOVED the Waldo house - I always thought I would end up in a Federalist or Colonial style house ........but ended up in a log cabin. Guess I went BACK in time instead of FORWARD!  :) Is the homestead open other times of the year? I keep wanting to get to Olde Sturbridge Village, MA too......

We'll let you off for the winter - the snow will be flying in your part of the world soon! ;) Hope you're thawed out by June.

Donna

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 01:02:23 AM »
Stu, I'd give your pretty little knees the blue ribbon any day!   ::)
(and the photos are wonderful too).

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 09:33:45 AM »
Thanks Donna and Cheryll!

Mary, I did some checking... The Edward Waldo Homestead has been operated and maintained since 1975 by the Scotland Historical Society. It is open free of charge but by appointment only. FYI, Ray is in the Thompson Blue and Chapman is in the Gray.
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:32:03 PM »
OK........so I'm color blind!  They both look good as long as they aren't wearing RED! ;)

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 07:33:49 PM »
Great photos Stirling!  It looks like everyone was having a great time.  Has anyone else noticed the similarities between Stirling, Chapman and Christopher?  The shape of the face, the eyes, nose and mouth?  Bet you're related somewhere down the line.............

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 02:11:18 PM »
Stu
   Great pictures. It looks like a fun games.
  YOU must have made a good impression on Chapman because HE JOINED CLAN THOMPSON!!
Maybe if I get things cleared up I can attend some of your games.
Tom