Author Topic: 42nd Annual Quechee Highland Festival  (Read 6635 times)

Stirling Thompson

42nd Annual Quechee Highland Festival
« on: August 25, 2014, 01:05:22 PM »
As promised...

Once again the weather cooperated and we had a beautiful day in the Green Mountains of Vermont!

My granddaughter, Leah, and I left home at 5:30 am for the three hour ride to Quechee. We practically had the road to ourselves. They had rain the night before and the polo grounds where the games are held was completely soaked and the cars quickly turned some areas to mud. We arrived about 8:15 and quickly got the tent set up since the gate opened at 8:00 letting visitors in.

The weather quickly went from cool and overcast to warm and sunny and clan village and parade grounds dried out nicely. We had about 34 clans and societies in attendance wrapped around three sides of the parade ground with the patron tent, entertainment tent and vendors on the far side. The athletic events were in a lower field and the dance competition was in the far corner. There were only five pipe bands in attendance but I had one set up right behind our tent so we had music most of the day.

I sent Leah off to take some pictures while I manned the tent. Our old friend Gail Kilgore from Clan Munro stopped in to say hello and sends her best to Tom and Mary. We had decent crowds and the flow was pretty steady throughout the day. There was an older gentleman in a Thomson kilt over with the dancers but he never stopped by the tent so I don't know his name.

I was set up next to the St. Andrews Society of New Hampshire tent manned by Dave Bruce who is the secretary for the Board of Directors. We spoke about the New Hampshire games in September. It seems they haven't yet recovered from the hurricane two years ago and the clan village area is split into two areas and space is at a premium and I'm told there is even a waiting list for clans wanting to attend. NH is a three day event and I've been hesitant about doing it but I think I will apply for next year. The same person is still in charge of the clans so I'm not optimistic about the answer. Even Dave said he has no pull to get a location he wants.

Anyways, here's the pics!

Unidentified Thomson at the dance competition.

Kids games on the parade ground.

Gail Kilgore from Clan Munro

My helpful granddaughter Leah!

Our place in the world.

The rest are here....
http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/StuT/library/Quechee%20VT%202014

Last games of the season for me will be October 12, 2014 in Scotland, CT.
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Donna

Re: 42nd Annual Quechee Highland Festival
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 11:42:36 PM »
Thanks for the photos Stu, and what a beautiful grand daughter
you have there!

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Barbara

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 09:09:10 PM »
I'm late in replying but I agree with Donna.  :D

Barb
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 11:58:46 AM »

Great job Stu.
Tom

MICHAEL the Canadian

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 10:49:33 AM »
Sorry Stu thanks for the pictures.