General Category > Ulster Scots

Passenger lists - Ulster Scots - free pages

<< < (2/2)

rustycan:
Hi Mary and fellow Tommo's

I don't know what to make of this yet. My Dad's DNA has located another two cousins in the USA.  Both are aligned to the Archibald Thompson of the AT Diary fame.  Very Early days yet but I would near bet my last can of beer that the Archibald T who penned the Diary is kin to the Archibald T who was the Laird, William Stewart's leiutenant.

From what I read on this site in 1610 Ramelton, Donegal, Ireland would have been a better place to be for Tomos than the border regions of Scotland. Ramelton is two miles from Milford, Donegal, Ireland where I have the last hard copy evidence of my line between 1840 to 1843. That is before they migrated to Oz. I have a plethora of hard copy here as they were regularly in the Courts or in Gaol :-)

Another available document is the 1665 Hearth Money Roll for County Donegal. The math in this document suggests the Tommos represented only thirteen families per thousand at that time. The document is a taxation roll and they tend to omit very few :-)

I understand the Thompson name is one of the most numerous in Donegal today.  Sets me to wonder why ?  It appears the 'Great Famine' of the mid nineteenth centuary was such that the last one out was supposed to turn the lighs off.  The Thompson name is well represented amongst the Flax growers and likewise the absence of our name leaving Ireland in the sixteen and seventeen hundreds tells us something. But exactly what I do not know.

Ramelton became wealthy on the back of flax and linen and there was a direct maritime trade with Jamacia. Sugar for Linen I would imagine. William Stewart and his line did very well from their endeavours perhaps his tenants first born sons did also.  Too many questions and too few answers.

DNA will resolve the mystery, not in my lifetime though.

Oh well another speadsheet needed to further confuse myself on timelines.  I will share any corelations with you Mary.  Why should I suffer alone :-)

Kind Regards

rus t 

Thomas Thompson:
Researcher Barbara M. sent me this information:
Any who are listed, sailed on one of the 5 ships. They were parishners or friends of parishners of the Rev. William Martin. His ships were filled with people from villages:
 Ballymoney ( Rev. Martins)
 Ballymena
 Kellswater
 Vow
 All in County Antrim N. Ireland.
  Presbyterians were usually Scots forced by the British Gov. to migrate to Northern Ireland. All below passengers were listed in SC Gazettes as receiving land surveys, Dec 1772 through Feb 1773.
Ship "James and Mary" mastered by John Worman, sailed from Larne 25 Aug 1772.
Ship "Lord Dulunce" mastered by James Gillis. Sailed from Larne 4 Oct 1772
     passengers # 76  Abraham Thomson
                         77  William Thomson
                         78  Mary Thomson
Ship "Pennseylvania Farmer" mastered by C. Robinson. sailed from Belfast 16 Oct 1772
Ship "Hopewell" mastered by J. Ash sailed from Belfast 19 Oct 1772
     passengers  # 220  Hugh Thomson
                          235  George Thomson
Brigantine "Free Mason" mastered by John Semple sailed from Newry 27 Oct 1772
     passengers  # 421 Henry Thomson
                          422  William Thomson
                          423  Robert Thomson
                          424  John Thomson
Those who received land, but no ship listing, but one of the five, and which are parishners of William Martin:
                        # 382  John Thomson
                           396  John Thomson
                           406  David Thomson
Tom

MICHAEL the Canadian:
RUS t Wow it is amazing to read your article on the researching you did, With winter coming I have to try to begin working on the computer and try to learn how to research the family name. thanks for the info everyone even if i do not move forward with my research, I enjoy reading and do learn from all your articles. Thanks again Rus t, Mary, Tom, and the rest of the group  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version