Author Topic: S. AFRICA  (Read 12152 times)

MACTAVISH

S. AFRICA
« on: September 19, 2008, 03:24:42 AM »
I HAVE A SUGGESTION THAT I WANT YOU TO TAKE VERY SERIOUSLY. I WANT YOU; AS A SOCIETY, TO CONTACT SOUTH AFRICA. I NOMINATE STU TO DO THE RESEARCH AND CONTACT ON THE SOCIETY'S BEHALF.
WHATEVER YOU MAY THINK OF THE SOUTH AFRICANS, THEY NOW HAVE GOT THEIR ACT TOGETHER, LOST A LOT OF ARROGANCE BUT KEPT THEIR PRIDE IN ROOTS..THEY HAVE A LOT OF CALEDONIAN SOCIETIES/PIPES ETC. THEY ALSO USED TO PUT OUT A JOURNAL. I KNOW THEY HAVE MANY THOMS AND WOULD WELCOME AN ARTICLE IN A MAG TELLING OF CURRENT SITUATION AND INVITING MEMBERSHIP.
THESE PEOPLE WOULD BOOST YOUR NUMBERS/BRING IN NEEDED REVINUE/ ADD WEIGHT WITH LYON. THESE PEOPLE ARE USUALLY WELL TO DO AND HAVE INFLUENCE IN UK............SADLY THEY HAVE A CHEQUERED PAST BUT THIS IS A NEW DAWN. IF IM SPEAKING OUT OF TURN PLEASE DISREGARD THIS .

I BELIEVE YOU SHOULD ALSO BE APPROACHING - THRU ERNIE- THE ANTIPIDES. THEY WILL BACK YOU 100%, THEY LOVE A FIGHT. YOU MAY EVEN HAVE A LOOK AT ENGLAND- MANY SCOTS LIVE THERE AND EVERY TOWN HAS A CALEY SOCIETY. AND GERMANY TOO!

Stirling Thompson

Re: S. AFRICA
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 04:45:14 AM »
MacT, I appreciate the nomination but must respectfully decline. Between work, veterans group and family issues I don't have the time available to be able to put forth the kind of effort necessary to perform the duties such a position would require. You are absolutely right that we should reach out to our family members around the world but such a task should not be given to any individual who can't give the project the full attention it requires. I would be happy to assist in whatever way I can but at this time I am not prepared to accept full responsibility for the position.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 05:45:16 AM by Stirling Thompson »
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Paula Cash Womack

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 07:09:00 AM »
MacT, you have a really good idea.  Makes this old world rather small when you bring together people of many different continents under a single name.  Rather awesome.  And using internet and paypal... just like being there.

What do the rest of y'all think?

Have a great weekend!
Paula

Graham Thompson

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 12:37:49 PM »
I agree its a good idea. Who knows where we could have Thomp(s)on's in the world. For all we know there could be some in the Asian, Russian, South American, Muslum, etc countries. Let do it
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 01:38:27 PM »
Stevie

Great idea, I think there are several Thoms there.  Mary had two pen pals who were farming when the troubles began but  we have  lost touch with them.  I was surprised to find out that their farming problem (sheep & cattle) were so similar to my own.
   At this late date I am not sure how to go about making contact with the Toms there. 
    If anyone has a thought on the matter I wish they would post something.  I think a magazine or newspaper article would be a start.
Tom

Paula Cash Womack

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 04:51:11 PM »
How about a simple invitation emailed to the various caledonian societies worldwide letting them know that we have organized Clan Thompson Society International and would they be interested in participating.   No history needed, just that we are corresponding with Lord Lyon for recognition as a representative Society. 

I think there is a listing of worldwide St. Andrews' Societies and Caledonian on the web somewhere.  Could be a start.

Paula

MACTAVISH

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 03:45:59 AM »
WELL THE RESPONSE SEEMS POSITIVE, SO, WHAT NOW? I SUGGEST THAT SOMEONE WITH SPARE TIME FINDS WEBSITES FOR CALEDONIAN SOCIETIES IN S.AFRICA AND THE ANTIPIDES.THERE MAY BE LISTS OF SOCIETY MAGAZINES TOO YOU CAN APPROACH. THEN YOU CONTACT THEM VIA E MAIL AND SEND WEE ARTICLES TO MAGS..NEED SOMEONE ARTICULATE(BABS?)
THERE USED TO BE A WORLD WIDE MAG CALLED 'SCOTTISH MEMOIRS'....IF YOU FIND MAGS LIKE THAT AND SEND A WEE ARTICLE OR LETTER- YOU ONLY NEED TO CONCOCT 1 LETTER AND SEND IT TO MANY PLACES.THESE PEOPLE WANT UNSOLICITED CONTACTS, IT WILL BENIFIT THE CLAN GREATLY.I WOULD HELP MYSELF BUT ITS NOT MY PLACE AND IM EXTREMELY BUSY AS YOU KNOW.......CHASING AWOLs AND FIGHTING OFF LEATHER CLAD BIKER'S WIVES....

MACTAVISH

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 03:50:27 AM »
HERES THE ONE I MEAN, THERE MUST BE DOZENS MORE..........
http://www.scottish-memories.co.uk/

its published in gb but has much interest abroad.....there must be equialent magazines in other places?

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 08:25:18 AM »
Whew!  Did you look at their advertising rates !  YOW!