Author Topic: Introduction Jerry Castleman  (Read 10959 times)

jdcthompson

Introduction Jerry Castleman
« on: November 23, 2008, 04:01:50 AM »
Searching for parents of Harmon Thompson (bc 1805 KY- ???? LA/TX) and wife Charlotte. Their son Alonzo (bc 1846 MS- 1931 TX) was ggrandfather.

Stirling Thompson

Re: Introduction Jerry Castleman
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 08:42:02 AM »
Welcome aboard Jerry! My own folks are from Maine/New England area so can't help you much. Lots of info on Rootsweb.com and check your local library to see if have membership at Ancestry.com (I'm to cheap to buy a membership). Good luck in your hunt!
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Donna

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 03:15:28 PM »
Hey Jerry,
Nice to see that you are able to post/read the Forum messages!

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 07:13:56 PM »
Hi Jerry -

In the 1850 census for Tipah, Mississippi, Harmon is listed with wife Charlotte and numerous children. Also listed is (probably his mother) ELIZABETH THOMPSON age 86 and says she was born in Delaware. That's all I've been able to locate.

Mary

Barbara

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 10:34:33 PM »
Welcome Jerry!  Looking forward to your posts.  Oh, and helps to be a little crazy around here.  ;D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

jdcthompson

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 12:11:09 PM »
   Guys (figurtively...), thanks for the encouragement and tips. I know a lot about Harmon and his son Alonzo based on the family bible and my own research. Some data conflicts, such as the POB for Alonzo. I am fairly sure he was born MS but later census archives state he was born in TN. My problem is with Harmon and Charlotte, apparently born KY and lived in TN circa 1832, where twins were born. I have screened most KY and TN archives 1780 to 1850 and can find no trace of their families or marriage. I suspect that Charlotte had maiden name Harmon, because they named their son as much.
   Then there is Elizabeth, born circa 1764 in Deleware and the probable mother of Harmon. I can find no marriage for her but it may have been Quaker, as many lived in early Delaware. Her husband may have been Rober Thompson, born 1742, who was a RW soldier in Deleware and signed the Cumberland Compact in 1780. He is described as being in Ky 1776, making improvements with his brother Henry and other men who left KY and returned in 1780. He died 1826 in KY.
   NOW, I need documentation to prove my theory. Jerry

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 01:16:53 PM »
Welcome Jerry and good luck with your search!
James Edward Thompson, Jr. aka Duke
Sip your beer and chew your scotch!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 01:27:58 PM »
Hi Jerry -

I found a book that had some Harman from Delaware in it - http://books.google.com/books?id=ZlFPAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA81&lpg=PA81&dq=Elizabeth+harman+and+delaware&source=bl&ots=FZMAjc_vKy&sig=9Pk881cnetQPKE-lIFo_e6B22-8&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result#PPA94,M1    Don't know if it's your line, but there are some Elizabeths.

Also.......was Harmon's wife names Mollie?

jdcthompson

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 04:39:40 PM »
The book was too old as a time frame but it took me to googling books and a new method of research. All archives and the family bible names the wife of Harmon as Charlotte. HOWEVER, I have seen "Mollie", "Sally" etc many times and would not be surprised. One derivative is also "Lotte".