Author Topic: New Member  (Read 17447 times)

Jason J. Thompson

« on: December 11, 2008, 08:47:41 PM »
Hello to all Thompsons. 

My name is Jason Thompson and I just joined last night.  I live in Clarkston, Michigan. 

I recently started researching the origins of "Thompson" and after 20 hours on line, I have learned a lot, clarified little, and think I need to do a DNA swab. I only have history going back 4 generations, to Nanty Glo PA.

Looking forward to learning more.

Jason

Booner

Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 09:13:39 PM »
Welcome to the family Jason!

Where is Clarkston, MI & Nanty Glo, PN?  I was born in MI (Marlette, a little town in the thumb) and my American ancestors started out in 1794 in PN.

Post as much family info as possible here and we'll try and help you out. Many of us have accounts with the various genealogy companies and will be happy to do some searching for you.

And do consider the DNA testing.  In my case It put me in touch with 4 or 5 people that i'm related with (one of which is our president, Tom Thompson) but it turned out I have more family info then they did.

Best of luck in your search and again, welcome

Booner

Jim Reed, PA Commish

• Jim Reed - PA Commissioner
New Member - Jim R
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 07:29:36 AM »
Hello Fellow Thom(p)sons

My name is Jim Reed, a new member of the Clan Thompson Society

I have been interested in my own Scottish/Thomson Heritage for over 25 years. Initially the only game in town to exchange information was as a Sept member of the Campbell’s or MacThomas’s. I belonged to the Clan Campbell Society for a few years, but felt like the red headed stepchild.  I was quite happy when the Clan MacTavish-Thom(p)son Society emerged.  I had hoped that there might be some parody for Thom(p)sons, but that seems to have gone by way of the boards and now Thom(p)sons are only recognized as a connected/sept name. I think we were used as pawn by a very small Clan to get the numerous Thom(p)son, who where disgruntled with the Campbell/MacThomas connection, to join.  I think the political in-fighting between the MacTavish and the Dunardy Heritage Society have disillusioned quite a few. I am extremely happy that the Clan Thom(p)son Society has emerged and will prove to be a source of information and exchange for us Thom(p)son.

I have documented my own roots back to 1851 in Shettleston, Lanarkshire Scotland, then  to McIntyre Twp, Lycoming Co. PA in 1871 & 1879 and finally in 1883 to Coal Glen, Washington Township, Jefferson County, PA. The migration path seems to have followed the coal mining industry.

Jason J. Thompson

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 07:46:06 AM »
Booner,
Sorry , I meant PA as in Pennsylvania. Nanty Glo is a borough in Cambria County PA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanty_Glo,_Pennsylvania

Clarkston is a suburb of Detroit, about 40 miles north.

Jason J. Thompson

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 07:55:54 AM »
Jim,
My PA relatives were cole miners also. 

The 4 generation line I have is:
William Thompson married Elizabeth Fitzpatrick; three children: George, Mary and Ann
George married Ellen Pierce; two boys: William and John
John married Olga Schultz; two children John and Mary Ellen
John married Barbara Eichelbarger: one son - me.  (I have two daughters - Anna and Sara)

George, Mary and Ann moved to Detroit to save their children from the coal mines.

Jim Reed, PA Commish

• Jim Reed - PA Commissioner
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 08:01:34 AM »
Jason,

Yes, Coal Mining was a major source of employment in Central PA during the late 1800's and early 1900's. one of my non-Thomson relatives lived and worked in the mine in Nanty Glo.

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 09:22:58 AM »
Jason and Jim, Welcome aboard! Lots of fun and craziness around here and lots of good folks too! Hang on and enjoy the ride!
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 09:41:02 AM »
Hello and welcome, Jason and Jim!  And gang, not only are they new members of the Forum, but they are new members of the Clan Thompson Society as well!  Double welcome! It's been a good month for our society.

I know both of you have talked with my husband, Tom.......but this is MY chance to have two words and welcome you!

Jason- my mother's father (Welsh coal miner emigrant) came from Brynmawr, Wales........which is 3 miles from NantyGlo Wales and he also ended up in PA in the coal fields but near Pittsburgh.  Funny because the town/county you mentioned in PA have Welsh names and were FULL of the Scots-Irish and Welsh coal miners. Hadn't heard/thought of NantyGlo Wales in years! 

Jim - I think many (if not most) of us have "experiences" with MacThomas, MacTavish, DHA, etc. The MacTavish connection was trumpeted for years in an effort (I fully agree with you) to convince Thom(p)sons that we were MacTavish.  Well, we've pretty much put THAT theory to bed!

For both of you - when you get your  membership packages, you will find genealogy record forms included. If you don't have your genealogy info digitized on your computer, please fill out what you know and send them on to Cathy.  If you have FTM or a GEDCOM of your genealogy info, please email a copy of that to her. Once her hubby gets a bit further on the road to recovery form his surgery, she will be able to get back to helping our members with their genealogy.

And if you have any researched information on Thom(p)son history/genealogy that you've discovered in your research, please post it and share it with all of us. We're searching all the time and have lots of mentions of Thom(p)sons in old books and documents....but we're always looking for more research to eventually be able to product a viable history. The fact we are a patronymic surname just adds additional research problems to this effort!  All input is sought and welcome. 

Also.....there are no dumb questions here! We're family and are here to help!

Mary

Beverly Kohn(Thompson)

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 09:46:48 AM »
         Hello and welcome to Jim and Jason!! You are not alone in your search and we will help when we can. The people here are very trustworthy and loyal so please join in and welcome to the family!
          Bev

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 01:32:48 PM »
Hello Jim and Jason,

And WELCOME!!!  My Thompsons are also from PA even as early as two generations ago!  Working that through on ancestry.com.  Glad to have you both on-board and happy to see you participating in the forum!

Duke
James Edward Thompson, Jr. aka Duke
Sip your beer and chew your scotch!

John Thomson

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 12:41:08 PM »
Hello there everyone!

I have re-registered having been a past Secretary and Clan Bard of what was then the McTavish organization.
It was my clear resolve to move towards Tom and Mary's side of the divide when members had to choose with their hearts and their heads.
As Clan Bard of our new association of Thom(p)sons, I am proud to be a small but loyal member of our Clan.
Born in Glasgow, Scotland and now living and working in Sarasota, Florida, my wife and I are looking forward to many happy Scottish events in the future. We are about to join the local Caledonian Society, Sarasota was settled by the Scots in the 1800s and there is a strong affinity for the old country in these parts.

I would like to see Tom Thompson as our Clan Chieftain, by the way.  He has effectively been that in the three years I have known him. He and his wife, Mary, have done so much to keep the flag flying high.

In kinship

John

John

Booner

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 08:13:39 PM »
Welcome aboard John!  We're very ahppy to have you!

And I think no one here would disagree with you regarding Tom being the chieftain.  Our association would not have come as far, as fast as it has if it weren't for him and Mary.

Regards,
Booner

Barbara

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 08:55:29 PM »
Welcome back John!  :D  A warm welcome to Jim.  Already welcomed Jason on another page but will welcome him again here too!  ;D

I agree with John and Booner, I would like to see Tom as Chieftain of Clan Thompson.  There would be no Clan Thompson Society without Tom's and Mary's intelligence and perseverance to get it started on the road where it's headed.   :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain