Author Topic: July 2009 Grow the Clan Month  (Read 20992 times)

Donna

Re: July 2009 Grow the Clan Month
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 11:49:39 AM »
                                      :D  WoooooHooooo  :D

Welcome to our 2 NEW members,
                                       Richard Thompson
                                                     and
                                         Melissa Thompson!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

There is sooo much more to this family than just posting fun stuff in the Forum!

Every paid membership in the Clan Thompson Society helps to insure that there
           will be a Clan Thompson Society for all of us to enjoy in the future.

As a family, we laugh with each other during the good times
                   and support each other for the not so good times.      
       It's wonderful to know that there is a Clan Thompson Society
                        member as close as you need them to be.

Remember, for each of the first 15 NEW PAID Members, $15.00 will be
      donated to the Arms Fund!  This offer will be in place only until July 31st!

:-*     This is our time to support the Clan Thompson Society   :-*

ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Donna

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 12:42:33 AM »
    :D     Again, I welcome our two New members of the Clan Thompson Society    :D

The challenge was that I would donate $5.00 to our Arms Fund
                    for each NEW PAID membership during the month of July.

Paula Cash Womack and Jim Reed have also joined that challenge!

:o   So, a total of $30.00 will added to the Clan Thompson Arms Fund!     :o

;D  Hey Paula and Jim, its time for us to pull out the old check book!   ;D

Donna

Jim Reed, PA Commish

• Jim Reed - PA Commissioner
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 04:33:25 AM »
I will be sending in the total amount for my new member commitment for the Arms Fund. So people, you still owe the Clan Thompson Society a few new members.

Based on my experience and observations with other groups - Boy Scouts, Veteran's Organization, I believe there are two key factors to growth - FINANCE and PROGRAM. Donna hit on of the nails right on the head. Don't just be a Thompson Forum wannabees, send in your membership applications. With more financial resources, we can do that much more.

We have a great PROGRAM in promoting Scottish heritage, history and tradition and the contributions by Thompsons and providing a venue for exchange of information by fellow Thompsons. But we need to get the word out. The website and forum are great.  I accidentally came across the Clan Thompson Society when doing a Goggle Genealogy Search, but that was nearly a year after its founding. There has to be a more effective way of promoting ourselves and I think that can be best accomplished by providing a presence at Highland Games and Celtic Festivals. At Highland Games we have an audience that is truly interested in the same Scottish heritages as ourselves.  I would encourage as many of you as possible to consider a Clan Tent setup at a Games in your area or assisting at one that your state commissioner has already arranged.  I remember one of first questions I asked at my first Highland Game, “What Clan do the Thompsons belong?”  I believe that are many more asking the very same question. Without our presence, either that question goes unanswered or they become a member of Campbell, MacThomas or MacTavish Clan Societies.

Help Support our growth, both FINANCIALLY as a card carrying, dues paying member and providing a visible Thompson presence at the Games.

Donna

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 12:07:04 PM »
Well said, my friend!

I just know that y'all are asking..."If I can't do a Clan Thompson Society tent, how can I help"      ???

Please check out the Clan Thompson Society items on www.zazzle.com !
A bit of the purchase price comes back to the Clan and these items are a great way to let folks know that the Clan Thom(p)son Society is alive and well.

My family and I will be attending the 144Th Scottish Highland Gathering & Games, hosted by the Caledonian Club of San Francisco, on Sept 5Th & 6Th.
It is not possible for us to set up a Clan Thompson Society tent at this event, but there will be about 7 of us walking around wearing the Clan Thompson Society t-shirts.   We'll be doing our "Meet & Greet" without a tent!   :D
We'll each have a few cards showing our web address and even a few membership forms tucked into our pockets!  

I have found that when I wear the Clan Thompson Society button or shirt in public, Thom(p)son folks find me!  

;)        "WEAR IT AND THEY WILL COME"       :D

Donna

Barbara

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 07:06:53 PM »
Donna I love your sense of humor and your enthusiasm.   ;D  You are a breath of fresh air!   ;D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 09:48:53 PM »
Good on ya Donna, I wore a Clan Thompson shirt at the Highland Festival this weekend from your Zazzle collection. I like that map with the stars so much that I made a similar graphic for an information brochure we had out on the table. It really helps show people where we came from.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 10:05:43 AM »
Michael -

How about sending a copy of the brochure to me? You use my artwork - I may want to use your brochure!   :D

ANYTHING we can think of to promote and educate people on the Thom(p)son name is great. If anyone has more suggestions, send them our way.

I admit to struggling with trying to do anything on Facebook or Twitter...but I'll bet those are great places to have discussions that others might see. For those of you who are younger or just "more in the know" on those - how 'bout it???  I know Michael is working with the clan site on facebook.....check it out!

And Michael - glad you liked the graphic!  ;D

Mary

Donna

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
Hey Michael,

This "good on ya" should be directed to Mary!!!

It was Mary's wonderful idea to make the Clan Thompson Society stuff available through Zazzle.com     The design on the t-shirt is Mary's handiwork!

Thank you Mary  :-*

Donna

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 03:34:51 PM »
Awww shucks (blush, blush)....t'aint nothin, cuzens!  I'm glad to put whatever talents I may have to use for the good of us all ........and we have quite a few (including Donna!) who are the same. And that's what a family DOES for the 'good of the whole.'

I went to town today and bought some fabric to make a couple of marching banners........don't have much time with some other plans we have committed to, but I'll try to knock a couple of them out for some of the upcoming games. Also picked up some teddy bears that I'm going to do some 'inventing' on...........:)

The Zazzle items are fun - expensive, but fun........and they'll work until we can get something else made in bulk.

Gotta dash -

Mary