Author Topic: New Member from South Louisiana  (Read 14079 times)

Thom

New Member from South Louisiana
« on: May 31, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
Hello to my fellow Clan members.  I am a new member from south Louisiana in the heart of Acadiana.  Looking forward to learning of my Thompson ancestry.  Thomas B. Thompson (Thom). 

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
Re: New Member from South Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 09:31:42 PM »
Welcome Tom! I guess I'm going to have to start calling all you Toms by Tom 1, Tom 2, Tom 3...and so on.  :) Lots of Tom Thompson's. (that's my Dad's name too! )
Anyway, welcome to your extended family. We look forward to learning more about you and helping you in any way we can!

-Cheryll

Don't forget to check out our Facebook page too, if you're so inclined.  It's under Clan Thompson Society 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 09:38:00 PM by cheryllwith2ls »
The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

Donna

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 02:14:11 AM »
Welcome Thom,
Please don't be shy  ::)  Tell us all about yourself and your Thompson folks!
Some day, I hope to find a new member who is actually connected to my
Thompson family from Ontario Canada...
Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Thom

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 08:51:58 AM »
Good morning, Cheryll and Donna!  Thanks so much for the fine reception extended to this new member of the Clan Thompson.  Because of the number of Thomas Thompsons, I decided to go by Thom instead of Tom.

I noticed that Cheryll had posted photos of Scotland on the Clan Facebook.  Those pictures brought back memories of our trip to Scotland in 2012.  From Glasgow, where we enjoyed the national piping festival and whisky tasting, to the land of Robert Burns, to the Highlands and Hebrides, Lock Ness and the Great Canal, to Stirling and Culloden and then St. Andrews and Edinburgh, each step along the way was exciting.  I discovered while visiting a military museum at Stirling Castle that the original makeup of the 98th Argyllshire Highlanders, formed in 1794 and later renumbered as the 91st Highlanders in 1798, included nine Thompsons from the area.  Alexander and John Thompson served as corporals and James, John, John, Joseph, Robert, Peter and Thomas Thompson enlisted as private soldiers.

Now a little about myself.  I am a former Marine and combat veteran of the Vietnam War and a retired Assistant U. S. Attorney.  Since my retirement I have become active in a number of community and veterans organizations.  I have also become somewhat of a novice genealogist working on our family histories.

With some certitude, I can trace my Thompson lineage back to Virginia.  From Virginia, the family appears to have moved into North Carolina, then onto the Mississippi Territory with a short stay in Georgia.  Finally, my great grandfather found his way into Louisiana.  Here goes:

Arlin Thompson, 1921-1997 (father)(born and died in Louisiana)
John Henry Thompson, 1897-1956 (grandfather)(born and died in Louisiana)
Linus Johnson Thompson, 1866-1958 (great grandfather)(born in Mississippi and died in Louisiana)
Hugh B. Thompson, 1844-after 1877 (2nd great grandfather)(born and died in Mississippi)
William Thompson, 1800-after 1870 (3rd great grandfather)(born in Georgia and died in Mississippi)
Parish Thompson, 1764-1850 (born in Virginia and died in Mississippi)
John Thompson, Jr., ?-after 1777
John Thomson, ? - after 1738 (died in Craven County, North Carolina)
John Thomson, III (believed to have been born in Surrey County, Virginia)

The line becomes blurred after Parish.  His father was John Thompson who is listed in the will of John Thomson who died sometime around 1738 in Craven County, North Carolina.  John Thomson, sometimes spelled with a "p" and sometimes without, listed his brothers William and Alexander in his will.  William Bond was a witness to the instrument and signed as a witness to other instruments involving John and his brother William.  The presence of William Bond is important because of the relationships of both families.

The Bond family dates back to 1695 in Beaufort County, North Carolina.  As the Thompsons moved westward after the War of Independence so did the Bonds.  Members of both families served with Nixon's Regiment of Mississippi Militia during the War of 1812 and through the years there were marriages between members of both families.  My great grandmother was a Bond as was my father's mother.

At least that's the way I see it at this time.  As more information is discovered, my conclusions as to the identities of my ancestors after Parish Thompson may be subject to revision.  And, probably will.

I know this is more info than you bargained for with but I appreciate the inquiries.  Have a great day.

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 01:36:57 PM »
Semper Fi brother and welcome home from a fellow Marine and Nam Vet.
Also welcome to the extended family of the Clan Thompson. Good luck with your genealogy search I know it goes along quickly until you smash into that brick wall that always seems to be there. Hopefully, you'll smash through that wall and find what you're looking for.
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Thom

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 08:24:05 PM »
Semper Fi, brother.  Walls are walls.  We've both been confronted with such things before and have come through!  The fun of looking for our Thompson ancestors is in the searching and the satisfaction is in the discovery.  Have a great week and better weekend. 

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 11:57:22 PM »
Hello Thom and a warm welcome to your extended family. It's great to have you here.  :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Thom

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 03:55:42 AM »
Thanks, Barbara.  It's great to be among so many kindred souls.  Have a great weekend.

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 09:58:46 AM »
Hi Thom,

Glad to see you on the forum - keep it up! It used to be easy to have lots of discussions on the forum - when we were first researching and going through the applications with Lyon Court. You know, much interest and a goal in mind. Now most members (and non members) read all the background research but don't have anything to add and that's too bad because we want everyone to post ideas, questions, suggestion, etc. We do have the Facebook page, but it seems to attrack "likes" and photos, but not much in the way of history, genealogy, etc.

So, if you stumble on something interesting, post it and give us all a look!

Thom

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 08:35:56 PM »
Thanks, Mary.  I will!

MICHAEL the Canadian

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »
Welcome THOM, I am Michael I have started to answer alot of my info with the name Michael the Canadian. i am living just 20 minutes south of the city of Montreal in the province of Quebec. We are 30 minutes north of the New York state border sitting on the Richelieu river. the city is called St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. English it would probably be St-johns on the Richelieu(river). I also is a fairly NEWBIE, I can agree with Mary :-)  there is alot of reading,researching,etc and often get priorities on other problems subjects,etc.  So the Forum suffers now or then I believe. But anyway HI and welcome, personal info I am a retired employ of the DEPT of defense here in Canada. Joined the group to try and find some time to find some more time to connect with the great people of the CLAN THOMPSON and now and then it actually happens, I believe that we all may have more time once the winter gets here and we are less busy with outdoor activities. take care Michael the Canadian.

Thom

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 05:13:37 PM »
Hello Michael the Canadian!  As you hail from the Montreal area of our northern neighbor, I shall, with your leave, tell a tale of our association through our Clan.  I am, according to my research, the 9th great grandson of my maternal great grandfather, Jean Baudreau dit Graveline.  Jean was from the Graveline area of what was then Flanders but subsequently became part of France.  His son, Urbain Baudreau dit Graveline, was among 153 young men recruited to settle and serve the French colony at what became known as Montreal.  He arrived sometime around 1653 and became a very wealthy man.  Jean Baptiste Baudreau dit Graveline, Urbain's son and my 7th great grandfather, was an explorer.  He arrived with Iberville on the Gulf Coast in 1700 and helped establish a settlement in the Biloxi, Mississippi area.  Jean Baptiste would later travel with Iberville's brother, Bienville, and establish a settlement at Mobile, Alabama.  Jean Baptiste, who had finally settled on the west bank of the Pascagoula River in lower Mississippi, would later marry Susanne, a Native American and the mother of his son Jean Baptiste Baudreau dit Graveline II.  Graveline II, my 6th great grandfather, became active in the affairs of the colony but would later be executed on the breaking wheel.  There is some disagreement as to where Graveline II's execution took place.  Most say the affair was carried out before St. Louis Cathedral in New Orleans.  One historian says the execution was carried out in Mobile.  Graveline II's granddaughter, Francois Baudreau, would marry Jean Baptiste Ladner, grandson of Dr. Nicholas Ladner.  Their son, Charles Carlos Ladner, would marry and his daughter, Mary Louis Ladner, would marry William Havens, my 2nd great grandfather.  William's and Mary's granddaughter, Mary Havens, married Thomas Andrew Burge.  Mary and Thomas Andrew were my maternal grandfather and grandmother.  Therein lies my connection to Montreal and through our Clan, to you.  And one day, I hope to visit the city of my ancestors.  Have a great weekend.