Author Topic: New Member, in Kansas  (Read 10149 times)

gpront

New Member, in Kansas
« on: September 28, 2015, 04:07:16 PM »
Hello, Thompsons! I'm a 68 year old Thompson who just a month ago, more or less, started looking up his roots. I have to say that, until I got into this, I hated the name "Thompson" because I MISTAKENLY thought it sounded common and boring. Little did I know what bunk THAT is!

My family moved from Mingo County, WV, to Albuquerque in 1950, when I was three. Since I left for college in 1965, I've lived extensively in Austin, Denver, and now in Johnson County, KS, in the Kansas City area. In the past, whenever I've been asked about my ancestry, I've told folks I'm half Danish (my maternal grandparents immigrated from Denmark) and half hillbilly (because all I knew about the paternal side was that my Dad's people had lived in West Virginia for at least the last several generations, and I was told I was related to Daniel Boone through my paternal grandmother.

So, about a month ago I joined Ancestry.com, and I have traced my Dad's male line back to my 19th great grandfather, born in 1260 in Dumbarton. One source names him as Sir Thomas Thomson; other sources I've found so far give only the last name. He would have been in his late 30's during William Wallace's battles, so I figure there is a better than even chance that he and his sons fought alongside Wallace and/or Robert the Bruce.

Down through my 16th GGF, all of them were born and died in Dumbarton. James Thompson, 16th GGF, died in Dumbarton in 1425, which I've learned is the year that James the Fat burned the city to the ground after he failed to take the castle. I figure James was probably killed in either the battle or the fire, although he was pretty old and might have just passed away that year coincidentally. The next couple generations lived in northeast Scotland, in Banffshire. My reading indicates that the region was a popular place of refuge for displaced lowland Scots. When they returned to the lowlands, they appear to have moved around in the area surrounding Edinburgh, north and south, and as far west as Glasgow.

I need to clean up the details, but it seems that my 7th and 6th GGF both lived part of their lives in Ulster, and married Irish women. My 5th GGF, William Thompson, was born in Scotland and died in Connecticut. His wife, Sarah, was born in Ireland and died in Augusta County, VA. Her son, my 4th GGF, was born in Ireland, and from that point on the family seems to have settled into the Tug Fork area of Virginia and West Virginia, where I was born.

I would love to compare notes (in the proper section of the forum) with anyone who may have common ancestors. I have a long way to go before I've got it all fixed in my own tree, but I'm thrilled to now be able to say "Scots-Irish" instead of the generic "hillbilly"! Incidentally, I also found the link to Daniel Boone: He's my 5th great uncle, through my grandmother Willie Boone Thompson and Daniel's brother, Samuel.

Finally, my name is Ronald Lee Thompson ("Ron", please). I'm going by gpront here. That stands for "Grampa Ron Thompson", in honor of my sweet granddaughters.

Mary

• Administrator
Re: New Member, in Kansas
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 09:28:44 PM »
Hi Ron!

Even though I had heard some of your search for your ancestors, you have quite a way with words! I wish Tom and I had as much luck chasing our missing link - he's only 5 generations back and MIA. 

Also being a 'hillbilly,' you're the first West Virginian I've met who would rather say he's a 'hillbilly' than a Scot or a Thompson! I mean, how many times can you explain that you do NOT have one leg shorter than the other from walking on the mountains......don't people realize that you have to eventually turn around and go home so your legs come out the same length!

Love the Daniel Boone connection - that's neat  8)

Welcome to the family - and I want to talk to you some more about maybe becoming a commissioner for Kansas! Let us know when's a good time to chat.......

Mary

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 11:10:12 PM »
Howdy Ron!

Yes, you sure do have a way with words! I'm afraid I can't be as eloquent at this time of night ( or ever, most likely )  but I can certainly give you a big hello and welcome! I do love your story. That is quite an impressive line you have going there! Much luck to you in your continued search.

Paul & I are looking forward to traveling up your way and beyond in the next few years. I hear it's beautiful and of course very rich in history.

Speaking of traveling....Sounds like someone needs to plan a trip to visit the homeland!! Have you connected or found any relatives there? What an adventure that would be.  I picture WV looking something like the borders of Scotland. Rolling hills and all. You might feel right at home there  :)

Well you take care now and thank you for the lovely post. Glad you found your connection to the mighty THOMPSON"S.

Cheryll

The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 10:23:54 AM »
Welcome Ron! A word of caution about Ancestry... don't believe everything you find there unless there are actual records to back up every claim and definitely beware of the unsourced family tree data.
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

gpront

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 03:21:22 PM »
Mary, almost any time would work, since I'm retired now. Actually, daytime hours are BEST, since I'm here alone and don't normally have TVs on and family chattering.

Cheryll, no, I don't know a soul in Scotland, and I'm afraid I'll never be able to afford a trip there, much as I'd love going. I HAVE been there, though, long ago before I ever knew I had a Scottish background. Back in around '71 I was in the Navy and one of the ship's officers on the USS Saratoga, an aircraft carrier. We were on our way from Jacksonville to the Mediterranean, with a stop in Scotland and a few days of joint operations with the Norwegian Navy in the North Sea. The Sara anchored off Gourock, on the Firth of Clyde, and I took a couple days' liberty, riding the train to Glasgow. I remember gazing across the water and wondering what the town was on the other side. Dumbarton, of all places! If I'd only had a clue, I would have gone there instead! Looking at it with Google Maps, I see that there are features like businesses and a street with "Thompson" in the name!

Stu, thanks for the warning. What I'm doing now is just trying to build the basic tree, while I build up a library of historical and genealogical data on Scotland, Ulster, and West Virginia--not to mention on the genealogical process itself. Once I feel ready to start step 2, I'll dig into that library and other sources and see what kind of detail I can add. Plus, of course, verification of what I HOPE I know.

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 07:21:03 PM »
Hi Ron -

Don't forget --- with your clan membership, you get two hours of PROFESSIONAL genealogy research (worth $75) by our Clan Genealogist, Maggie Jones, for free!. If you can feel certain that you have all the data that you are sure of, send it on to her - she knows where to look for records - especially for Thompsons!

That's a Thom(p)son society special - we help with genealogy research.

gpront

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 03:48:34 PM »
Thanks, Mary, I WILL be doing that.