Author Topic: Highland Games and Festivals  (Read 101708 times)

MACTAVISH

Re: Highland Games and Festivals
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »
WELL ITS A YEAR AWAY NEXT WEEK.......AND BY COINCIDENCE; NEXT WEEK I'LL BE SPENDING 3 NIGHTS IN A LOCATION 35 MINUTES SOUTH OF HOLYROOD IN A GOLFING HOTEL-THE VERNON-IN A SIZABLE FAMILY EN SUITE ROOM, WITH BREAKFASTS TO DIE FOR INCLUDED , THATS MYSELF/MO AND ALEX=TOTAL COST 250 DOLLARS. THERE ARE BARGAINS OUT THERE IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO LOOK.....ITS ALSO VERY CONVENIENT FOR THE KELSO ROAD.

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 10:26:31 AM »
AND........if they aren't holding the Gathering 2009 at the same time like they will be NEXT July!!! Prices are definitely higher for July 2009 from what I see!

I'll contact those who have posted off-forum with pricing info I've found....Tom and Barbara - some of the places offer a family bedroom with a double bed and a single along with another double bedroom for another couple. Would that work for you???

I'm gone for the rest of the afternoon....and I think we will be leaving toward the end of the week for about 2 weeks, so i may not be able to get 'good stuff' to you all for awhile, but I'll do my best!

Graham Thompson

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 10:12:19 AM »
Damn you people and having money. I want to go
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 10:55:28 AM »
I think we need 2 rooms as barbara's sister is planning on coming too.
I'll talk to them and see what they say.
thanks

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 04:28:19 PM »
Well, Tom and I are looking at staying outside of Edinburgh .......maybe Kelso or Melrose. I know it's a bit of a trip, but we could afford to go to the pubs there and eat out....and once the Gathering is over, it's more in the area where we want to check out the Ridding Thomesonis.  Where do you want to stay?  Right in Edinburgh our outside of it?

It looks like lodging with a 2 bedroom is going to be about $450 per couple for a week. There are some less expensive and there are LOTS more expensive. These would have washer/dryer, linens provided, full kitchen and rooms w/double or 2 twin beds. Lots of them have sofa beds in the living room area.

Stu and Paula - would you consider sharing a place for 6 people? 

Tom and Barbara?  I might be able to find you something...but how close in to Edinburgh do you want? Would Barbara's sister be willing to take the sofa bed?

We are planning on arriving on the 23rd for a week. We plan another week in Ireland/England before we go to Scotland. If we're going to pay outrageous air prices, we may as well go whole hog!  DO NOT PLAN TO STAY A WEEK PAST the Gathering week - on 1 August, the prices for all lodging SKYROCKETS for the high season. So, go early if you want to do more touring!

Send me an email and let me know whether you want individual places or want to share and where you might like to be (town).

Mary

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 04:30:37 PM »
Also -

We're going to be gone and mostly offline for a couple of weeks with some family business. 

POST and keep the forum alive while we're gone. I will pick up emails from our daughter's periodically.

Remember, lodgings are getting snapped up rapidly, so let me know if you want to share a place or have your very own.

The smaller lodgings (2-4 people) are usually more expensive per couple..................by the way.

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »
To Graham
   "you people with money"
   I am quite sure nobody makes less money than I make.  I retired in 1979 and SS doesn't keep up with inflation.
I am saving what I can (even with our Congress keeping Gas high) and will get a loan for the remainder.
Tom

Graham Thompson

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 08:11:58 PM »
Oh bummer. Well we'll be poor together.
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

MACTAVISH

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 10:30:42 AM »
IM SURE THAT THOSE OF US WHO CAN ATTEND THE GATHERING;WILL. ITS A SCALE OF REGARD AND IMPORTANCE. I CAN'T STRESS HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO BE THERE, I CAN TELL YOU THAT IT WILL BE LIKE THE RIPPLES ON A POND THAT WILL VIBRATE THROUGH THE COMING GENERATIONS.THIS IS YOUR GOD GIVEN CHANCE TO ESTABLISH WHO YOU ARE ,WHERE YOU COME FROM AND WHAT YOU WANT FOR YOUR GRANDCHILDREN'S GRANDCHILDREN.IM SURE YOU'LL DO THIS ONLY ONCE IN YOUR LIVES AND YOU'LL NEVER FORGET IT.YOU'LL SIT YOUR GRANDCHILD ON YOUR KNEE AND TELL THEM OF THE MOTHER COUNTRY AND WHAT IT FELT LIKE TO STEP WHERE YOUR ANCESTORS STEPPED, TO DANCE AT A CEILIDH, KWOFF WHISKEY IN BARS WITH PEAT FIRES....YOU'LL HAVE PHOTIES TO SHOW THEM AND MAYBE FILMS.I HAVE A HANDSHAKE FOR EVERY MALE WHO COMES HOME - AND A HUG AND FEEL UP MY KILT FOR EVERY FEMALE...........
 ITS EASY FOR ME I KNOW; I LIVE HERE.BUT IVE HAD THINGS OF IMPORTANCE TO ME IN MY LIFE THAT I ATTAINED COME WHAT MAY. IWANTED TO GO TO UNIVERSITY BUT DIDNT WANT LIFELONG DEBTS- I WORKED EVERY NIGHT AND EARLY MORNING. I DELIVERED BREAD. THREW PEOPLE OUT OF NIGHTCLUBS/WASHED PLATES IN RESTAURANTS.ANYTHING.(WASTE OF TIME I STILL ENDED UP IN ARMY!)
NO ONE WILL THINK ANY LESS OF YOU IF YOU DONT COME AND YOU CAN SEE THE PHOTIES WHEN ITS OVER. THIS IS A CLAN THING AND WE ALL BENIFIT- EVEN ME, THE OUTSIDER.
THE ROYALS ARE ATTENDING, LYON IS ATTENDING. THEY CANNOT DENY THE THOMS IF THEYRE STARING THEM IN THE FACE. IF YOU REALLY CANT COME- DO WHAT YOU CAN FOR THOSE THAT CAN..EVEN IF ITS JUST ENCOURAGEMENT.
IM CURRENTLY DOING MY BEST FOR THEM AND WILL EVEN CONTINUE MY EFFORTS WHEN THEYVE ARRIVED!

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 06:47:32 PM »
Hi Tom and Mary,

Barbara, myself and her sister wouldn't mind sharing a room with
a couch and a bed for 2.
We would like to as close to Edinburgh as possible because of transportation consideration. I think we want to spend a few days
in Ireland before the Gathering. Just have to see costs involved.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes,
Tom /Barbara

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 06:34:26 AM »
Hi all 

Still stuck in VA - probably at least another week or so.  Tom and all - I will contact you about more lodging info when I get back. I'm bootlegging on a neighbor's network signal and it's so weak and I lose it often. So, can't do any more research on the idea from here, but will hit it again when we get home. I think it will all work out fine = we have some possibilities already found. Will contact and suggest arrangements offline with those indicating they want to attend when we get home.

Hotter than hell here and high humidity. UGH. Supposed to get some storms through this afternoon - hope it cools things off. If nothing else, at least water the lawn!

Keep posting _ I will get online when I can>>>>>>>

MACTAVISH

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 09:15:22 AM »
WELL GANG IM STILL IN THE BORDERS....YESTERDAY I MET 2 AMOUROUS WOMEN(I WONT BRING DOWN THE FORUMS TONE BY SAYING WHAT THEY OFFERED TO DO!) FROM CORPUS CRISTIE(IS THAT TEXAS?)IN GRETNA GREEN WHO WERE ON THEIR WAY TO THE ISLE OF SKYE. MANY MANY AMERICANS IN EDINBURGH, HARD TO GET PAST IN UNIFORM....
GOT A FEW MORE IDEAS FOR BILLETS IF YOUR READING THIS TOM/MARY.......EVERYONE; KEEP SMILING AND THIS FORUM BUZZING ; YOURE REALLY P***ING SOME PEOPLE OFF!

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 08:55:32 AM »
Hi all!
It must be summertime and everyone is in the doldrums with all the heat and humidity. I'm still looking at possibilities for the Gathering but I'd prefer to be in the city since I don't drive on the wrong side of the road but I'll try to be flexible since this will probably be the only time I get to Scotland.

AerLingus flies to Glasgow and offers group rates for as few as six people and it seems to be cheaper to fly to Glasgow and take the train to Edinburgh than it would be to fly into Edinburgh.
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

MACTAVISH

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 10:35:40 AM »
HI STIRLING; IM HERE TO HELP........I THINK IVE COVERED ALL BUDGETS FROMHIGH GRADE  BACKPACKERS HOSTELS ($20 PER NIGHT WITHBREAKFAST)TO CAMPUS ROOMS AND SELF CATERING APARTMENTS. YOU GUYS NEED TO LIAISE TOGETHER; THERE ARE DRIVERS WHO CAN DO THE 'WRONG SIDE'

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2008, 04:10:13 PM »
G'day all,

One for Stu. Americans might drive on the right side of the road but countries of the Commonwealth drive on the correct side of the road.!!!
If I can adjust and survive driving across the U.S. then I'm sure you'll be fine in Old Blighty.

Ern of Oz