Author Topic: Highland Games and Festivals  (Read 103589 times)

Booner

Re: Highland Games and Festivals
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2008, 10:27:54 PM »
I 've been having the harderst time trying to post lately--i think someone(s) steeling my wireless.

Tommy, We'll be looking forward to you & yours at the games.
The clans are located in two BIG rectangle tents. We're in the end of one of the rectangle, between Clan Innes & Kennedy.  But be carefull, the "other" clan is located about 1/2 way down the side of the same tent we're in. (that should be interesting).
I guess theres 3 parades. One Sat morning at 8:30 down mainstreet in Estes Park, and then at 11:30 on sat & sunday we're parading again on site on the festival grounds. So we'll be getting our exercise. 

Barb, my dear cousin who I love like a sister, you want me to collect body fluid from your Jamesie? OMG! I don't think thats legal. I'd rather collect pee from an elk! (In the info I received about the rally, they do warn us about the elk as they roam around town)
I'll see what I can do for you, how about some of his hair instead?

I got my kilt y'day and I had to put it on, of course. Then I had to put all the other stuff on to see what I looked like.  I admit that it felt a little weird at first, like I was wearing a cheerleading skirt.  But after a few minutes i began to think "hey, this is kinda comfortable"  It's pleated in the back but flat in the front, and I didn't know if thats right or not, so I called Mary on my cell phone.  I don't get very good reception in my house so I went out on the front patio to make the call.  Sure enough, some of my neighbors were walking their dogs and they started to hoot at me. They told me I looked, "rather dashing."

I'm never taking it off.

All I need now is to find a blue ribbon.

Regards,
Booner in plaid

MACTAVISH

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2008, 10:42:38 PM »
booner  has evolved- or re-evolved- good for you big yin.
it seems you guys are now well established and functioning as a clan pre recognition. im proud of you.i hope ive had some input and effect on the formation. keep the momentum going.
..............gonna keep an eye on you; dearg dhurachd ,
                         stibhain macthamhais ngardbeag

Barbara

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »
Ah bet ye look sae verra bonnie Lad in yer new Kilt.  :D  Ah bet ye neighbors are fair taken wi’ ye in yer new finery.  They'd hae tae be eejits not tae be.   ;D

OK, if you won't get me some of Jamesie's sweat, some of his silky long hair would do or better yet a picture of Jamesie and you together!  Twa braw Scotsmen!!!   ;D

Pictures Dan, we want pictures!  Of everything!  Wish John and I were going to be there.  Maybe next year when he's retired.  I'd like to feel that "Rocky Mountain High" again.

MacTavish, did I spell 'verra' right?  Couldn't remember if it was one or twa r's.  :D

Barbara (cousin to Booner, the braw Scotsman)  ;D

"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Booner

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2008, 09:24:24 PM »
ok, plenty of pictures!

And MACTAVISH, "i hope ive had some input and effect on the formation. keep the momentum going."
I think I can safely speak for us old members, You, in many ways are responcible for the formation and continued momentum of our clan, and we will always be in your debt.

I'll like to tell the newer members alittle about the man whoe we owe so much too, but my son just called and his friends car won't start so I have to go help them.  I promise to do this later--or better yet, maybe some of our "older members can help me out and give their impression of the big guy.

Booner to the rescue!     

Mary

• Administrator
Estes Park Games
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2008, 07:24:46 AM »
Well, Harold and Patsy Bennett and Tom are on their way to Denver for the Estes Park Games at Longs Peak. Dan "Booner" Thompson will be picking them all up at the airport and heading to their motel. They are all looking forward to the games and will be wearing their Thompson blue finery with pride. Tom Thompson and Barbara Marion from Indiana are hoping to attend the games also....we'll have a good showing!   ;D

I sent my camera with Tom, so hopefully we'll get lots of pictures. Booner has also promised to take lots....and one of him on his motorcycle in his kilt!  :o

More later................

Mary

Graham Thompson

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2008, 12:18:50 PM »
I really hope Booner isnt driving his motorcycle when he takes a picture. I dont want to see any "bits" showing. :P
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Mary

• Administrator
Report from halfway through the Estes Park Games
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2008, 03:17:10 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o   

Just talked to Tom......... he called earlier as they were heading into town for the parade of the clans through the town.... one of the organizers came up to him and said a "short man" had come to her complaining that we should not be allowed to participate at the games/parade/anything else because we weren't a 'recognized' clan and he wanted us OUT. She said she told him she would talk to the honchos....Tom took her to the tent where we have all of our documents proving we are legally established as Clan Thompson Society International, Inc. and the correspondence from Lord Lyon showing that we were working with him and that he had sent us paperwork to get arms for our Society......  Then Tom went back to the lineup and a while later one of the organizer men walked by checking the lineup and looked at Tom and Booner and said "I KNOW you're Thompson", smiled, and kept going. So, looks like Da Cheef is meddling again.

And remember when they said at Ligonier that DHA were VENDORS because of the tshirts for sale and should be made to move to the vendor area and pay the vendor fees????  Well, GUESS WHO has tshirts for sale in their tent! And, the Mactavish are holding their AGM there this weekend..........so far only Larry, his wife and Steven have been seen anywhere on the grounds and sometimes there's no one in their tent. I suppose Leslie is there somewhere too. Should be interesting on how they get a quorum.  ::)

Tom said the Thompson tent was the busiest one around....they were all busy talking with families and individuals who were absolutely thrilled to learn there was a Thompson clan society and, hopefully, a re-recognized clan in the future.  ;D

Per Tom, Booner was having the time of his life! Harold and Patsy were busy with 5 or 6 different people talking to them while I was on the phone with Tom - he had to hang up because another family had come up to him. He said it had been like that all day and they were getting really tired....but it was so great!

And, a final note....our niece showed up unexpectedly and that was a nice treat! Tom hadn't seen her in a couple of years.

Waiting for pictures! They'd better take 'em!

Graham Thompson

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2008, 11:35:14 AM »
You guys should water bomb the McTavish's tent ;D
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2008, 03:52:06 PM »
Graham.....enjoy being young!  I hadn't even THOUGHT of that one!

OK - update. When they closed down for the night last night, Tom went to the committee and asked what the situation for Clan Thompson was. They said 'not to worry ..... they weren't going to pay any attention to the 'short man' and we needn't either.' So! They also said the 'short man' was demanding and pompous but may not have been the chief....  At any rate, they weren't taken seriously and we go onward and upward!

By the way - Tom said when they got up this morning, Booner looked out his bathroom window and there were ELK lying in the grass behind the motel!    :o

Said the weather was great, the tent was crowded again today and people were SO EXCITED to "Thoms" represented in their own name! Lots of volunteers to help with the tent next year....they're having a great time!  ;D

Our wanderers will be home tomorrow. Tom said he couldn't figure out how to use my camera !!!!!  but that the others were taking pics......

5:46PM NEWSFLASH UPDATE........  Just got a call and some from the committee stopped by and said they would be delighted to see Clan Thompson there next year!!!!!  WOO HOO   We'll be there with bells on!  Start saving your money....maybe it would be a good AGM location? It would definitely be a change of location for us and we could surely get as many people there as some clans.......  ;)

Mary

Mary

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2008, 08:33:17 AM »
You betcha we'll be there with bells on. My family and I were so happy to discover a real Clan Thompson and meet all the fine folks, we're just about ready to bust!

We live in Colorado, so we've attended the Long's Peak Highland Festival for many years. I usually stop by the Clan Campbell tent to say hi, as this was the only clan association I knew for Thompsons. (I did mention on the MacThomas mailing list once that somebody was trying to tell me we were MacTavishes, but they set me straight.) But when I talked to my friend Campbell this year, he said, "Did you know Thompsons have their own clan this year?" Well, I sure didn't, but I went right over and met Booner and Walter and then Tom himself, and marched with them in the clan procession, and we had a jolly good time.

We'll not only be back next year, but you can bet we'll spend plenty of time in the Clan Thompson tent, and by then, my family's going to be darn tired of hearing me nag them all to join the clan society.

Here's to all the Thompsons! Glad to have met you!

Michael

The Reivers Ride Again!

MACTAVISH

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2008, 09:42:22 AM »
HELLO MICHAEL, PLEASED TO MEET YOU AND WELCOME..............A LOWLY MACTAVISH WHO LIVES ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE POND........

Graham Thompson

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2008, 04:55:32 PM »
Welcome Michael, how come no other Thomp(s)ons live in Manitoba. Man im bored without any other Thomp(s)ons around

Donna

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2008, 05:55:48 PM »
Hey Michael,
It is a pleasure to meet you and to welcome you!   

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Paula Cash Womack

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
First things first:  Michael, welcome! welcome!  Really pleased to "meet" you.  Went to Colorado (Denver, Estes Park) in 1970 on a choir trip.  Was very beautiful.  Enjoyed the snow in July.

Second thing:  Graham...I did a quick white pages search for Thompsons in Manitoba.... you got a bunch of T's up there.
There were about 75 A's and about the same number of G's.  Got you a gold mine up there....  But it can wait til after you get married...if you have any extra time to recruit then.... :D ;)

Greetings from the Southeast Tennessee area... Y'all all have a good week.

Paula

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2008, 08:20:20 PM »
Welcome to the family, Michael and kin!

This is Mary - the other half of Tom. He came home so excited about the wonderful reception at the games and all the Thompsons who came to the tent! He told me about meeting and talking with you and your family and about your great music (and donation!) You weren't the only one the Clan Campbell sent our way! Tom and Booner went over on Sunday and thanked them! They explained that we aren't saying all Thom(p)sons are Clan Thompson any more than they are MacTavish, Campbell or McIntosh or Fraser! There are reasons of locale for those clans to have had some Thom(p)sons with them and we would expect the Argyll Thom(p)sons to go with Campbell. It made perfect sense to them too!

I'm the secretary and general 'gopher' of the society - we'll have your membership processed and certificate/card in the mail later this week. I'm getting the backlog out now!

Tom must have worn himself out ....he's down with a sore throat and terrible congestion and spent the day in bed today! I'll give him another day or so and then he'll simply have to revive and post! And Booner complained about his feet, not his fingers, so if he doesn't post SOON, I'll have to call and read him the riot act! He'll come up with some excuse....like he had to work! Well > he is going to have to get "things" in their proper perspective!   ;D

Harold, Patsy and Tom all raved about how beautiful the location was and about the elk sleeping in the yard at the hotel. I think if Tom could take his log cabin with him, he'd be heading to Colorado tomorrow. Unfortunately (?), TN is a little cheaper for us retired folk........ we'll just have to save our pennies for trips to CO!

Did they tell you we are planning on having a tent at the Gathering 2009 if we can get enough people there??? Something to think about!

Again, to you and yours, WELCOME!

Mary