Author Topic: 2009 Central Florida Highland Games Jan 17-18  (Read 67207 times)

Donna

Re: 2009 Central Florida Highland Games Jan 17-18
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 03:35:19 PM »
I'm sure y'all will have a wonderful time in Central Florida!  I'll be there with you in spirit!

I just got my Clan Thompson Society news letter!  Way to go Mary!  Great job!

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Barbara

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 09:05:36 PM »
Got my Thompson Newsletter today too.  Way to go Mary, Donna and Paula!  Great job y'all. :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 10:13:29 AM »
Anyone who can make the Florida Highland Games..........DO!  We'll have 4 or 5 couples/families there to help run the tent (at least on Saturday - on Sunday, Duke and family may be on their own!) But, the more the merrier! A good chance to meet and greet!

Wish we could be there too!   :'(

http://www.flascot.com

John ThomsonHollingsworth

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 08:03:19 AM »
We just received our advance tickets for Central Florida games
Mary was at a baby shower on Saturday and found out that 2 more people from LaBelle plan to be at the games next week.

Some might be interested in attached story about South Florida games
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/community/news/fort_lauderdale/sfl-flbscottish0111sbjan11,0,2589514.story

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2009, 05:51:42 PM »
Hello All,

The games are less than a week away!!!  Glad your tickets showed up John!  Fred, thanks for planning to bring the items for the tent, let me know when you get into town Friday and I will come pick them up (unless you want to meet me the next morning around 6:30am)!  I think we will have enough "stuff" to make a good impression.  I will also be bringing a few books, some Scottish coins, a Thompson Grey flag, a Thompson Hunting flag, and Society memorabilia.  I have to be set up Saturday morning before 8am, planning to be there between 6 and 6:30am.  More to come...

Duke
James Edward Thompson, Jr. aka Duke
Sip your beer and chew your scotch!

John Thomson

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 05:08:46 PM »
Hi Duke:

Sarah and I are booked into the host hotel from the night of Jan 16 through to the 18th.
Looking forward to meeting you and other Clan members at the Games.
Happy to help out as necessary.

See you soon!

In kinship

John
941-567-7424 (cell)
John

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2009, 06:39:23 PM »
WEATHER FORECAST for Sunny Florida
Friday High 60  Low 37 (farenheit) slight chance of rain (travel day, games not open)
Saturday High 62 Low 36 Sunny and Clear (setting up the table in a kilt in 36 degrees at 6:30am, games at 8)
Sunday High 67 Low 44 Partly cloudy no rain

There is a parade of tartans each day!  Bands playing non-stop at the bandshell, plenty of pipers and vendors, and of course the highland games.  I will be shooting in the archery competition - we'll see if I (and the Clan) have anything to brag about on Sunday night!

On a side note, I did get my parking permit and it says simply, "CLAN PARKING" - which in this part of the world could still be taken the wrong way.  Will make a suggestion that they change that to Scottish Clan Parking!
James Edward Thompson, Jr. aka Duke
Sip your beer and chew your scotch!

Thomas B. Thompson

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 07:21:27 AM »
Duke,
 I understand very well the " misunderstanding " that the word Clan by itself can envoke.
Several years ago when we had our AGM in Williamsburg, Va., my girlfriend and I had gotten
ready and were leaving for our formal dinner. As we were walking down the hallway, we passed
a group Afro-america ladies who asked if we were going to a wedding. Without thinking I said
no, we are going to a clan meeting. My girlfriend's eyes popped and jaw dropped. One of the ladies said to me most graceously " Honey, you can't say things like that down here ". Given
the opportunity to explain that the clan I was talking about meant family in Scotland and told
them about our group. We all had a big laugh and went on our way. Just wanted to let you know
that know where you are coming from with " Clan Parking "
Enjoy the games
Best Wishes
Tom/Barbara----Indiana

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009, 09:58:10 AM »
You guys are going to have such a good time.......I'm sooooooooooooooooo jealous. I could just go in circles stamping my feet and grinding my teeth (but I can't afford the dental damage THAT would do!) STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP

Sigh..........I guess I'll have to hope for next year.

John and John - any hope you guys might make the AGM this year??? 

Beverly Kohn(Thompson)

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 12:38:36 PM »
      I soooooo wish I could be there for the games in Florida,besides being Daytona season, I've just heard Albannach is going to be there! What a party!  Those of you going check them out for us!
                  yours in family & spirit    Bev

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 03:41:32 PM »
Hey Bev! 

Good to see you online again!   I know, doesn't it just make you sick that we can't all be in FL for the fun???

You ARE going to be at the AGM in Glasgow this year, aren't you?????  Albannach's usually there............... ;D

Donna

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 10:59:02 PM »
Hey Y'all,
I havent posted much in the past few weeks...sorry  :'(

After working for AT&T for over 40 years, I've been retired for just over a year and that initial thrill of doing what I want, when I want, is gone.   

Now I'm feeling...unemployed.  I need to take a "retirement 101" class to find out what I'm supposed to do with myself!  I'm either sitting around with nothing to do or so busy that I fall asleep at the dinner table.   Maybe I'll ask Dr Phil...not!

Mary, thanks for removing St Nick from the main page!  It's almost time to put in a wee Leprechaun  ;)

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Forum_mgr

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, 11:30:59 AM »
Hi Donna --

Therapy ----research Thompsons and POST!!!  You don't need Dr. Phil...you just need a new obsession and I think this should be it! And I do speak from experience! ::)

I THOUGHT I had removed the Santa before.......then yesterday, I went to the home page and there he was! Oops!  Wonder if I can do a Leprecaun in a kilt.........hmmmmmmmmmm

John ThomsonHollingsworth

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 11:37:02 AM »
Donna - Retirement is fun!
I retired in September 2006 after many years in IT
The county contracted with me to do many special projects, here I am over 2 years later still doing the fun parts of my old job.
I'm in contact almost daily with vendors and various county and state agencies
It's great to be needed and have a reason to get up in the morning
I gave no set hours , I have office space and phone in Courthouse but I am seldom there, phone auto forwards to home office line.
I work a lot from home so commuting is minimal and since we bought our new house actual commute is less than 3 miles VS 25 miles each way for years.
Mary is still working full time in Felony courts at courthouse so if we plan to do anything she has to take time off.
Like today we are leaving here early so that we can be a friends in Oviedo early this evening and plan to go to games in AM
John

Forum_mgr

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009, 12:04:59 PM »
Don't forget your camera!!!