Author Topic: New England Games  (Read 8680 times)

Stirling Thompson

New England Games
« on: March 19, 2009, 05:13:14 AM »
Just learned that the Western Massachusetts Highland Games & Celtic Festival have been canceled for 2009. The website says:

The Western Mass. Highland Games sincerely regrets to announce that because of the uncertain economy there will be no Games this year.

We fully expect to return on
June 26, 2010

On the other hand, The Cape Cod Highland Festival is on for August 8, 2009 in Sandwich, MA!

I'll post dates for other games in New England shortly.

Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Graham Thompson

Re: New England Games
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 10:41:21 AM »
What is with these weird town names. As an example, Sandwich. When they discovered the land was the guess hungry and thought, "I need a sandwich". And thts how it was named. I see so many weird names at work that it wouldnt suprise me that thats how they came up with it
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 04:33:29 PM »
Our popular luncheon food is actually named after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, an 18th-century English aristocrat, although he was neither the inventor nor sustainer of the food. It is said that Lord Sandwich was fond of this form of food, which had been known from early times, because it allowed him to continue playing cards, particularly cribbage, while eating, without getting his cards greasy from eating meat with his bare hands.

The sandwich became popular among the gaming and drinking crowd, and later spread to the aristocracy and others. The food was named after the Earl.

Sandwich, MA was named for the seaport of Sandwich, Kent, England. The town of Sandwich has an annual festival period towards the end of August, commemorating the Earl and his supposed "invention" of the food. Interestingly, just down the road from Sandwich in Massachusetts, is another small town called "Ham." Ham and Sandwich are quite close.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Donna

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 02:02:08 AM »
I hope y'all had a fun National Tartan Day (April 6th)

My son, David, daughter in law, Erin and I celebrated at the East Bay Scots Tartan Day festival, at Ardenwood Historic Farm in Newark, California.    The weather was beautiful, the bands and pipers were wonderful.  Lots of dancing and singing...

We met a cute young couple, Anthony & Tina, who are members of the Clan MacTavish and enjoyed spending the afternoon with them.  After a nice lunch, we all had cake and beer to celebrate Erin's birthday.

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 02:44:01 PM »
Glad you had such a good time and that you met some nice MacTavish there.   

I'll post dates for other games in New England shortly.
  Don't forget, Stu, that we have a games calendar linked from the society website at
http://clanthompson.org/games.html  Unfortunately, it appears quite a few games are having to cancel this year.....

Mary