Author Topic: So long to Ancestry.com  (Read 12774 times)

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
So long to Ancestry.com
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:22:50 AM »
Greetings all Thom(p)sons!

Hope your New Year has started out well.

It was tough but I finally cut the strings that tied me to Ancestry.com, Cold Turkey if you will. I've been using the LDS site and software since and have been able to pick up a few more bits of info. It will take some time to become proficient but what the heck it"s FREE and free is good.

Winter in North Carolina has been chilly and wet. Not at all minded by my hubby, who will ride his motorcycle in all but below freezing weather. I, on the other hand, am a fair weather rider. Won't leave in the rain (but will ride in it......yes, yes I know, it don't make no "cent") and prefer above 40 degrees. A girl has to have standards......

Looking forward to Spring and the Loch Norman Games in April, we'll be there on Saturday the 22nd. If yer there come by the tent and say hullo!

Yer cuz,
Sherry ;D
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Mary

• Administrator
Re: So long to Ancestry.com
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »
Looking forward to Spring and the Loch Norman Games in April, we'll be there on Saturday the 22nd. If yer there come by the tent and say hullo!

Yer cuz,
Sherry ;D

I wish!  But I know everything's in good hands with you, Sharon, Jim, Fred and Babs!  Have a great time! Lots of pictures and write-ups!!!!  ;)

Booner

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:54:18 PM »
Hey Sherry,

Be careful with the LDS stuff.  They can be a little 'loose' with their research, especially if it's not a direct line. I've used them and sometimes I can't figure out how they came to the conclusions they had. But just like everything in the search, you got to verify things yourself.

I understand you not wanting to start a trip in the rain. I've done it a few times; don't you just love it as that water trickles down your leg? Most years, I can ride year around here in Colorado'as long as the temps are above freezing and the roads are dry.  They put a lot of sand down in the winter, so I don't ride too much until we've had a heavy rain or two in the spring.  To me, riding on sand is more dangerous than riding on ice; there's nothing more exciting than riding on tiny marbles on two wheels.  And, out here you also have the possibility of riding in snow almost in any month. Now that's refreshing!

Take care,

Booner

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:34:16 AM »
Booner,
You"re right about LDS, trust but verify. I took facts I was certain of and ran them through LDS with mixed results. But it gave me a few bits that were worth the trouble. I also got in touch with the Genealogy Society in Richmond Indiana. They have been most helpful. Alas, Robert W Thompson's parents remain a mystery.

Snow this morning if you can call 3 flakes landing on the windshield as I drove to work, snow. Cold and sunny this weekend, cold being in the low 40's. Oi, this Michigan girl has become very spoiled!

Ride safe ............and in the words of my hubby, "Rubber side down."

yer coz,
Sherry
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 01:49:48 PM »
Sherry,
Maybe you don't have to give up Ancestry completely. Many public libraries have Ancestry.com available to their patrons. The only drawback is it can only be accessed in the library. I also use Heritage which is available via the library but I can access it from home using the bar code on my library card as my login id.
Good Luck!
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 10:00:36 AM »
Stu!
Excellent idea.
I will check out the library for both Ancestry & Heritage.
Thanks for the tip.
Sherry

Booner

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 01:23:52 AM »
Cuzzin Sherry,

If you need to get back on Ancestry.com in the next 30 days, let me know. You can borrow my account.

See my post (I'm Pissed) under "what not."  I don't think I'll get much use out of their service.

Regards,
Booner

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Booner,
Oy! Thanks for the "ancestry" offer in your last post. 
I don't 'spose we'll see you in April @ the Loch Norman Games? ;)

Took the first motorcycle ride of the year! It was fast!.......the first one always seems that way. Had to wrestle the Hawk away from my hubby. He said he was working out the bugs (riding the heck out of it, more like) for me for the last two weeks. Uh huh. ::)
So spring is here. My story and I'm stickin' to it.

Yer coz,
Sherry

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 03:45:10 PM »
WOO HOO!

Let me explain.
Here I am in Mesa AZ. visiting my sister, you know "Sis Thompson's Youngest". Anyway, she picks me up at the airport and as I step outside of the artificial environment I've been in since 5:25 in the morning, the heat almost knocks me down! Delicate flower that I am......Really? Does it HAVE to be 103 degrees at 11:55am?

But I digress.

So, you may ask, "where does the WOO HOO come in to play?" Once we got to her condo and airconditioning, she plunked down in front of me a stack of family records & pictures at least an inch thick! "Where the heck did ya get these!" I asked as I plowed through them as giddy as a school girl on Christmas morning. It seems the wife of a cousin, with whom my sis went to school and who happened to marry said cousin, found the records in our Aunt's (the cousin's mother...with me so far?) effects. Our Aunt was on the volunteer team at the Richmond IN geneology society, and had amassed quite a bit of information.

Hence, WOO HOO!

Some of the records I've seen but others will bear close scrutiny, the will and land purchase and sale records. The pictures date to 1863. GGGrandfather Ephriam in his Union uniform with his pistol in a studio portrait. A photo of Robert W Thompson's wife Nancy Bowen.

Again I say WOO HOO!

Now I'm going to pour a cold beverage and savour the past!

Yer Cuz,
Sherry