Author Topic: Thomosone from the Seton Armorial 1591  (Read 10804 times)

Stirling Thompson

Thomosone from the Seton Armorial 1591
« on: October 01, 2009, 05:49:33 AM »
Thought you might find this interesting since it's not one we have on the website!

This is found in the Seton Armorial dated about 1591...

thomosone     
Argent, a stag's head cabossed Sable charged between the attires by a mullet Gules     
SN364

Unfortunately, there is no indication of where this Thomosone lived and haven't yet found this blazon anywhere else.
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Stirling Thompson

Re: Thomosone from the Seton Armorial 1591
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 06:17:58 AM »
Further investigation finds this from the Roll of Sir David Lindsay of the Mount (Secundus) from about 1599 with some later additions.

Mackenzie of Kintayle     
Azure a stag's head caboshed Or between it's antlers a mullet Argent.

Differenced only by color from the Thomosone arms from 1591. Maybe the Mackenzie's will be the next clan to claim us! Or maybe we should claim them!
Stu

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 06:56:18 AM »
Another Makenzie... this from Slain's Armorial 1565.

Makenzeach of kintaill     
Argent, a stag's head cabossed and between the tynes a dexter hand apaumy both Gules     
SL463

And then there's this MacKenzie from Scotland's Herauldrie the Science of Herauldrie treated as a part of the Civil law and Law of Nations by George Mackenzie of Rosehaugh Published 1680.

Mackenzie, Earl of Seaforth
Azure, a stag’s head cabossed Or

Not sure if any of this is actually helpful to our cause but I was struck by the similarities of the charges in the various blazons. If I had to venture a guess at this point I'd have to say the Thomosone from 1591 was probably a Mackenzie line.
Stu

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 08:46:59 AM »
Hey Stu ---- where do you get access to these Armorials?  They aren't in the Ordinary of Arms list and I can't find any online access to the ones you referenced.......???  The stag's head was fairly common in unrelated families. I did check Clan MacKenzie and (so far) they don't list Thom(p)son as a sept!  ;) From what I read, they are primarily a highland clan.

Good research!  Keep it up - I lost gobs of stuff when my computer crashed a few months ago and haven't had time to get back to researching. So you go guy!  :D

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 10:27:48 AM »
Mary,
All the references are from the Heraldry Society of Scotland website.
http://www.heraldry-scotland.co.uk/mitchell.html
Stu

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 08:24:21 PM »
Thanks, Stu........I belong to that group too, but haven't had much time to peruse it lately.

I couldn't find the arms in the Ordinary of Arms, but the ones you cited are quite early and, I believe, before the ruling went out that arms were to be registered for a compilation.....

Thanks again!

Mary

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 08:14:12 PM »
Hey Stu, it's great to have you back!  You've been greatly missed!  :D

I hope this winter I can get back to researching too. 

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 07:24:56 AM »
Thought you might find this interesting since it's not one we have on the website!

This is found in the Seton Armorial dated about 1591...

thomosone     
Argent, a stag's head cabossed Sable charged between the attires by a mullet Gules     
SN364

Unfortunately, there is no indication of where this Thomosone lived and haven't yet found this blazon anywhere else.

Hi Stu -

Tom sent your arms description to John Gaylor (the man who did all of the arms artwork on the website) and he sent back what the description would look like! I've posted it here with the others.......  last one on the right......... http://clanthompson.org/arms6.html

Mary

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 07:58:22 AM »
Don't mean to be picky... but why is the mullet upside down?
Stu

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »
Stu
You are a jewel for our research - thanks again.
  I haven't a clue. John has been ardent supporter of our efforts  by providing information about armorial records and I have to trust his work.
After I got his drawings of the blazons you found I tried to check on the source to verify the information before we put it on the web page but I couldn't find either of them. Could you please email or post the sources again? I'm not nitpicking but I don't want to give our detractors any ammunition to say we didn't have our facts right. I have the 'T'shirts.
Tom
Tom