General Category > Heraldry

Clan Thomson & Heraldry

<< < (3/3)

Allan Thomson:
JAMES THOMSON of WESTER BOGIE.

MATRICULATION OF JAMES THOMSON OF WESTERBOGIE 1811 Vol 2 Folio 59

--- Quote ---JAMES THOMSON of Westerbogie in the County of Fife Esquire Clerk to the Signet and Representative of the family of Thomson of [Mugusk – sorry difficult to read] bears Parted per pale Argent and Gules a buck’s head cabossed and attired with ten tynes within a bordure engrailed all counter-changed on a chief Azure a cross crosslet fitchée Or between two spur-revels of the first. Crest: A branch of Palm proper; Motto Patientia Vinco.  
--- End quote ---

The Wester Bogie of the title relates to Wester Bogie in the Parish of Abbotshall in Fife, Scotland.  An excerpt from the 1861 Parochial directory for the Fife and Kinross parish of Abbotshall describes the House of Bogie as an elegant modern mansion, in the form of a castle.  
There is a reference in the Lyon Court to a John Berry of Wester Bogie who matriculated arms on 1 July 1785.

MARRIAGE & DESCENDANTS:

James Thomson Esq  married Helen Moncrieff daughter of Patrick Moncrieff on 23 July 1809.  They had one child, Lucy Thomson born in Edinburgh 1816.  Lucy Thomson married Robert Davidson who does not appear to have been armigerous and this would seem to have ended this armigerous Thomson family.

NOTES:
There are two factors from the grant of arms which I found quite interesting.  

1) The reference to "Representative of the Family of Thomson of (Mugusk..?)".  
- not quite sure why this should be stated on the grant of arms and it would be interesting to find out more....  As regards the actual name Mugusk ..? I am awaiting a reply from an expert who may be better able than I to read the old handwritting on the original grant.

I have now received word regarding my query:

--- Quote ---I have looked at the entry to which you refer, James Thomson of Wester Bogie, Volume 2, folio 59 and understand your problem. I tend to think that the name is Magask or Magusk, and find a Magus Muir near St. Andrews, and as Wester Bogie is also in Fife (The Ordinance Gazetteer also mentions Bogie House in the Parish of Abbotshall close to Kirkcaldy) this may perhaps give you a clue as to location.

I see from the list of Writers to the Signet that James Thomson of Wester Bogie was the son of John Thomson, Merchant in Cupar, and this may also be an area worth researching. The entry also states that James Thomson of Wester Bogie married on 24th July 1809 Helen, died 1 June 1851, daughter of Patrick Moncrieff of Reidie, Fife. James died 25th October 1831 aged 82.

It has been pointed out to me that it is unlikely that the Lord Lyon would give or record a territorial designation for lands overseas thus it seems likely that Magask (?) is in Scotland and likely to be in Fife.
--- End quote ---

2) The crest of a branch of palm proper.
I would like to know why the armiger or LL decided on this unusual crest.  

Allan Thomson

[attachment deleted by admin]

Allan Thomson:

The place name seems to be "Magask" and it would seem likely that the farm or land was probably Nether Magask.

There are still farm buildings and cottages with the name Magask to be found in the area between Coupar and St Andrews – the postcode KY16 9SN should bring this up on google maps if anyone is interested.

This part of the country appears to have been a bit of a hotbed for Thom(p)son armigers.

Allan Thomson

Allan Thomson:
A search of the index of Wills and Testaments reveals the following information that may pertain to some of the earlier Thomson armigers.

The testament, dative and inventory of James Thomsone, younger of Nether Magask, Parish of Ceres 13 May 1700 are available via St Andrews Commissary Court  are available online via http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

The testament, dative and inventory of George Thomsone of Mayns 28 Jan 1691 are held by Edinburgh Commissary Court and are available online via http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

The testament, dative and inventory of Arthur Thomson, Wright in Logie, 27 Jun 1793 are available via St Andrews Commissary Court are available online via http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Allan Thomson

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version