Author Topic: A Thompson of many kinds  (Read 19630 times)

A. Thompson

A Thompson of many kinds
« on: September 11, 2008, 11:24:41 PM »
Just a fairly quick introduction.  I am what I have jokingly termed an American mutt, meaning I have Scottish, Irish, German, and a bunch of other stuff in my ancestry.  So no am not pure, but a great percentage of my heritage comes from German and Scottish families. 

I've always had interest in discovering my roots though, and yet I never realized part of my roots was Scottish till a Irish friend of mine pointed it out.  Today it has grown to something of great pride, but yet our history was lost in time.  We have however managed to figure out that we did possibly come from a family in the lowlands.  Members of the family have tried to trace the heritage, digging through birth and death records and even stories passed in the family.

It is believed that the Thompsons in our family came from possibly the lowlands but one story says they migrated to England before coming to america and one says they spent time in Ireland.  It's confusing and difficult to trace.  But anyways, hoping you guys don't mind me least being here even if my family can't be.  I find myself attracted to the thought of the Thom(p)son clan rising among the clans.  Coming unburied from history.

Anyways, guess was longer intro than thought lol.  Anyways, my legal name is Amber, I prefere to be called Aiden for personal reasons though.

Just a note, I am not sure the accuracy of this.  But it's as far as can tell and remember from researching and talking with family who have reserached.  I need to do a better job at recording this though lol.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:26:44 AM by A. Thompson »

MACTAVISH

Re: A Thompson of many kinds
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 10:00:02 AM »
WELCOME AIDEN, A FINE CELTIC NAME

A. Thompson

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 11:26:09 AM »
Thank you.  And just be aware guys, I do have the Temper :D

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 04:30:06 PM »
...DON'T WE ALL!!!!!!!  :o

Yes, welcome Aiden! Sounds like your family history is as murky as many around here! 

Liverpool was a busy port of departure for the English AND the Irish (and the Scots who had moved into Ireland!)........so you could be right on all counts..!
At least, having a family tradition that your ancestors came from the lowlands would definitely make you a Reiver (with a temper to match! :)

And as far as "pure" blood.......well, there are some around, but most of us are pedigree-less. I'm Scots, Welsh and German.........so, I don't even NEED anyone to fight with....I can just fight with myself!   ;D

You might want to investigate the Thompson DNA programs....my husband just did the one from Family Tree and is already getting some information (only about 6 weeks!) to work on.

Mary

A. Thompson

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 05:10:28 PM »
Yeh seen them, they are expensive though and not sure how willing my father would be in perticipating lol.  Expecially since things have been tense between us lately.

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 08:43:42 PM »
It is believed that the Thompsons in our family came from possibly the lowlands but one story says they migrated to England before coming to America and one says they spent time in Ireland.  It's confusing and difficult to trace.  But anyways, hoping you guys don't mind me least being here even if my family can't be.  I find myself attracted to the thought of the Thom(p)son clan rising among the clans.  Coming unburied from history.

Greetings Aiden, and welcome!

You'll find lots of company here with a family history like that. I'm Scottish, Irish, English, and Welsh from all accounts. At one point I was told our Thompson ancestors came from Yorkshire, but later that became in doubt and I'm still trying to locate them in the "old country." When I met Tom last weekend, he told me that many Thompsons originated in the Lowlands, especially the borders. Lots of them came to Ulster and later to America, while others migrated through England first. It can be quite difficult to trace things that far back. But we're all Thompsons one way or another.

I just joined this past week myself, and I'm equally excited to see a real Thompson clan come to life. Don't forget to go to http://clanthompson.org/app.html and join the Clan Thompson Society if you haven't already done so. Glad to meet you!

Michael

The Reivers Ride Again!

A. Thompson

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 09:03:07 PM »
Egh...  I may have to wait till beginning of October to join there, or least hope I have enough by next friday.  Short on cash at moment.  What's the payment methods?

Edit:  Did it anyways, hope doesn't hurt me to bad lol
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 10:43:32 PM by A. Thompson »

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 08:45:44 AM »
Welcome Aiden
   We are all mutts of some sort. The celtic knot is a Scottish family tree.
 The important thing is that by claiming "Tom's " as a root we are establishing ourselves as a family - no matter how distant the relationship.
You are now a part of my family and I think of you as such and am interested in in all that concerns you.
Tom

Barbara

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 01:55:54 PM »
Hello Aiden and welcome, I like what Tom said "the Celtic Knot is a Scottish family tree."  How true!  :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

A. Thompson

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 02:00:37 PM »
So it seems :)   Now if only knew for sure where in the knot am lol

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 11:01:07 PM »
Remember, in the Celtic knot there is no beginning and no end. We are all in it together, brothers and sisters.
The Reivers Ride Again!

A. Thompson

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 04:42:52 AM »
True.  :)

Booner

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 08:13:45 PM »
Hi Aiden,

And welcome to the family.
Get to work on that family tree as soonas you can. Any of us here woill be happy to help you, and Welcome, I hope you'll feel that you've found a home

Booner

A. Thompson

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 08:16:17 PM »
Trying.  Difficult communicating with family all over US though LOL

Most of my information comes from my aunt and grandmother who has researched a lot of this long before I have been and who have had interest in this more than my grandfather who's name we got Thompson from lol.  I've just been trying to continue it and been getting involved with the Clan.  :)

All I have so far is going back to the grandparents, plus some surnames of their family but not the first names.  Missing birth and death records as well.  Tried using Ancestory.com some but I don't have enough money at moment to pay for the ability to view any of the search results.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:44:52 PM by A. Thompson »

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 08:08:42 PM »
Aiden,

I used to have a subscription to Ancestry too, but it got way too expensive for what I was getting. However, I've recently discovered that my public library has subscriptions to some of those databases that cost so much. Mine has a subscription to Heritage Quest, which includes a searchable census database. It has proven very useful. If you find the names and approximate birthdates of a couple of ancestors, you can request a marriage certificate or a birth certificate from the proper authorities, which will then have additional information, such as parents' names and such, from which you can trace the next generation. It's painstaking, but often works.

The Reivers Ride Again!