Author Topic: New Member - James Edward Thompson, Jr. aka Duke  (Read 31907 times)

Duke Thompson

• Core
New Member - James Edward Thompson, Jr. aka Duke
« on: October 05, 2008, 08:25:54 PM »
Hello Everyone!  My name is James Edward Thompson, Jr. but I go by "Duke".  I have been watching the forum and site for some time now and realized this is something I really want to, and should, be part of.  I live in central Florida with my wife Alison and son Taylor. I usually attend the Highland Games in Winter Springs, FL in January and will try to make the Jacksonville, FL festival in February this year, wife and weather permitting.  I have learned much already and hope to do and learn much more as this society/clan/family continues to take shape and make itself known.

Glad to be here!
James Edward Thompson, Jr. aka Duke
Sip your beer and chew your scotch!

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
Re: New Member - James Edward Thompson, Jr. aka Duke
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 08:34:08 PM »
Welcome Duke!

I believe we have a few members in Florida. Hopefully, they will chime in and introduce themselves to you. Maybe you can meet up at some of those gatherings.

Cheers!

Michael
The Reivers Ride Again!

Barbara

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 09:45:48 PM »
Welcome Duke, so glad to have you here.  Named after Kings you were...James and Edward.  ;D   James Edward Thompson, that's a fine name.  Glad you've found your home, don't be shy, you can talk to any one on this forum and any questions will be answered by whoever knows the answer. Looking forward to your posts.  :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 10:35:59 PM »
G'day and wellcome Duke,

I had the pleasure of touring your state back in 2000 and totally enjoyed myself.
Hope you do the same here.

Ern
Down-under

Donna

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 11:51:43 PM »
Hey Duke,
It's a pleasure to welcome you and your family!  I hope some of the other "guests" who have been visiting the forum will take your lead and jump right in! 

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 08:43:07 AM »
And welcome from us, too!

Glad you've decided to put your oar in the water with the rest of us....... the water's fine here!  Since you've been on the website for awhile, you know we do everything from the 'sublime to the ridiculous', but we've found a lot of information on our TRUE roots and clan and, hopefully, as new people join us and bring their information to the group, we'll learn more. Don't forget to send your genealogy information to Cathy!

Welcome to the gang!

Mary

Donna

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 12:01:47 PM »
Hey Duke,

Did you read my post offering a lovely "Thank You Gift" to anyone who has been visiting the forum for a bit and now decides to become a paid member? 

Well, I'm doing a little happy dance...you are the very first person to take me up on my offer!  Please contact me at donnaraye@sbcglobal.net to supply your mailing information and I'll run right down to the post office with your little gift.

Donna

Donna

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 12:15:55 PM »
Please...if you have been visiting our Forum for a bit and now decide to become a paid member, don't forget to mention this in your introduction so I'll know to start the music for another little happy dance and send you a sweet little "Thank You" item.

Donna

Graham Thompson

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 04:56:41 PM »
Do we also get a "thank you" gift if were renewing?
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Donna

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 06:54:12 PM »
I'm sorry Graham, this is a effort to bring in some new folks. Hey, don't forget...if you bring in a NEW member you would get a "Thank You" item.
Do you have Thom(p)son cousins!  It's time to call them up and tell them
all about us!

Donna

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 10:07:57 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!!  Michael, thanks for breaking the ice and jumping in first - much appreciated.  Barbara, I tend to run but I hope my posts are at least entertaining.  Named after kings and going by Duke - I'm much more laid back these days than the names imply.  Ern, you must like HOT or you were in FL during one of the two cool weeks - glad you enjoyed it.  Donna, enjoy your happy dance and I will follow up.  Mary, just show me which bench and oar are mine.  Old divorce will make the family history a bit touchy at first but it will work out and I'll keep Cathy posted.  Graham, just tell Donna we are cousins and perhaps she'll reconsider.  Thanks for the warm welcome again...

MACTAVISH

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 10:08:14 AM »
HI DUKE AND FAIL'TE.
 I SPEND QUITE A LOT OF TIME IN FLORIDA.....USUALLY COCOA AREA. I HAVE A LOT OF FRIENDS ON 'THE BASE'. I ENJOY FISHING THE ST.JOHN RIVER FOR CATFISH.HAD A COUPLE OF RUN INS WITH SNAKES AND GATORS. MY PAL LARRY EMPTIED A HANDGUN INTO A GATOR THAT CAME FAR TOO CLOSE AND I HAD TO PROMISE TO SAY HE WAS SHOOTING A MOCCASIN IF ASKED BY A RANGER.
TAMPA'S NICE BUT NOT KEEN ON MIAMI..
ANYWAY FAIL'TE AND HOPE TO MEET YOU ONE DAY.

Duke Thompson

• Core
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 10:49:22 AM »
Hello MACTAVISH,

I wet a line wherever I go!  This weekend I will be standing in the surf at New Smyrna Beach just south of Daytona chunking shrimp for whiting, maybe a small shark or catfish or permit.  I also bass fish and fly fish.   If I am around fish I try to catch them. 

Paula Cash Womack

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 11:29:50 AM »
Hi Duke,

First, welcome to Clan Thompson.  On the Welcome page of this website, we welcome all Scots and those who wish they were Scots!
So, your mission (should you accept) is to pass the word in your area of Florida that Clan Thompson is here. ;D

Second, I truly love the New Smyrna Beach, so open, quiet and so uncommercialized.  We were down there a few years back and had the best time.  Hope you have a really good fishing trip.

Again, Duke, Welcome.

Paula
Membership Secretary

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 01:41:23 PM »
All I want to do in Florida is go to DISNEYWORLD!!!!  I'm OLD and I've still never made it to Disney World!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Maybe I should go down and rent a little boat.......then I could show Duke to his bench and oar!   ;D  Love your sense of humor, Duke!  And be careful how much of what Michael says you believe! He's been known to spin a yarn or two!

Mary
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 05:18:47 PM by Mary »